I discovered Grande Bay on Tripadvisor and searched VRBO for availability. I found a great condo for my December vacation.
The location was perfect for being able to walk right into town and not have to deal with the limited parking situation in the tiny town of Cruz Bay. It's a 5 min walk, if that, from the ferry dock. I rented a jeep through St. John Car Rental, which was essentially a walk around the corner. You can pick up either main road to head to either the north shore or the south shore beaches very easily. I explored the island during the day, and just parked the jeep at night to enjoy the restaurants in town. Very convenient.
Grandy Bay is located on one end of Cruz Bay and it was perhaps a less then 10 min walk to the other side of town, where the USVI National Park building is located and where you can begin the hike to both Solomon and Honeymoon beaches (about a 20-30 min hike). Guard yourself from the sand fleas and mosquitos with some sort of repellant, as they are plentiful.
The condo itself had a view of the beautiful water and the boats moored near the dock. Having a washer/dryer in the unit was great, as was having backpack beach chairs and beach towels for my use. Enjoyed the ceiling fans as well as the ac. Bed was comfortable, water pressure was good and kitchen was fully stocked with all glasses, utensils, etc., as well as spices if you cook and rum if you drink! All gratis.
The pool was heated though could have been a tad warmer and the jacuzzi broke down during my stay, though the maintenance staff was aware and dealing with the situation. Same with the two treadmills in the gym, which were being fixed my last day. There was a pilates reformer in the gym which was a nice bonus.
Staff was friendly and helpful, and neighbors were rarely seen or heard, which was great for "getting away".
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Grande Bay Resort & Residence Club is situated hillside overlooking Cruz Bay on St. John in the US Virgin Islands. Set near Wharfside Village, this St. John condominium resort overlooks the emerald and blue waters of Cruz Bay and St. Thomas to the east and the British Virgin Islands to the west. Offering nightly rentals (min. 2 nights) and fractional ownership opportunities in the heart of "Love City". ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Evoline ltd and lastminute.com.au so you can book your Grande Bay Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grande Bay Hotel Cruz Bay
- Grande Bay Resort St. John/Cruz Bay, U.S. Virgin Islands