“Hotel”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Boston, Massachusetts
“Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2012

It was perfect besides our room and way over priced and it was kinda clean besides he bathrooms and beds but you no it can't be perfect but hey could of put more effort in it and the resort was so buetiful and the pool was clean and the beach it man made and the water it very murky but there is always boats coming in every minute there is a water trampoline and a bar and and everyday there is a pool activities .

Room Tip: The front desk is terrible if you want to switcha room your best luck is switching holes that all.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Cyndal R, Administrative Assistant to The Director of Rooms at The Westin St. John Resort, responded to this review, 6 April 2012
Thank you very much for your review. We were so pleased to hear that your stay was a pleasant one and that you enjoyed the resort grounds, pool and activities. We will take your comments into consideration regarding the cleanliness and condition of the rooms, and will do our best to implement your suggestions in future renovations. Thank you again for your review and we hope to welcome you back soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (626)
Norwood, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2012

As a SPG Platinum member we have been to many Westin properties in the Caribbean and this was our first time in St. John.

We decided to take the Westin Ferry from the airport. So once we got our luggage, we proceded to the end of the terminal where the Westin has an area, where they actually check you in. After waiting a few moment we were driven to the marina and boarded the ferry and left shortly thereafter once everyone's luggage was brought on board. Yes, it costs $120/person, however, you get unlimited use of it to and from St. John and St. Thomas and when you get to St. Thomas they provided transportation to the shopping district, so over all thats not a bad deal.

Once we arrived on the island, we were cordially welcomed by the staff and given cocktails. We were handed our rooms keys and we headed off to the room.

Our room was located in building 21 which is almost in the middle of the property right below the hillside villas. From our balcony, we had a view of the bay.

The room was clean, is it a little dated? yes but the bed was comfortable. The bathroom mirror had some wear and tear on it and could use to be changed. But other than that the room was comfortable. For those with wireless devices, the internet service in the room and the resort overall is above average.

Now the lets talk about the housekeeping here. Would they come every day and make up the room and give us new towels, yes. However, there were days that we would get bottled water in the room and other days nothing. We had days were there was turn down service and other days nothing. So what you got from housekeeping was a bit inconsistent and we were on a SPG floor.

The staff overall was very cordial and polite. We never had a bad experience with them.

The breakfast buffet is pretty decent. Its good enough to fill you up for half the day($26/pp).

If you want to go into town, taxis are waiting up front. It's $5/pp each way to go into town.

So lets talk about the things that the Westin has no control over, the being the rude, arrogant and pompous guests from the midwest and new england areas. I don't really care how long you have been coming here, I don't care how much you payed to stay here or how many weeks you stay in your timeshares. The way you treat some of the staff is unacceptable.

You are still in the US, hence you come down here with your drivers license, which for some of you should have been revoked a long time ago. I have never seen such childish and immature behavior from adults in my life.

Let me give you a great example. Let says you made a reservation weeks in advance to rent a car and lets say you wanted to pick up the car on a Sunday. For this example we are going to say that you are from New Hampshire. So instead of picking of the car on Sunday you show up on Wednesday and are like I am here for my car. Well, guess what? Your car is not waiting for you because you had a reservation on Sunday to pick it up not on Weds. But wait, it gets better, instead of being yeah I didn't need it until now, can you help me start a new reservations? You had the audacity, because as someone from the Live Free or Die State you must be the almighty, since you got an attitude with the agent and ask her why did they cancel your reservation? Are you really that stupid or an ignorant moron?

I am amazed how some people forget how to act in public and that they think that everyone needs to bow down to them. You are the same arrogant idiots who complain that the staff is rude. You get back what you put out. It rained every day that we were here and we dealt with it. However, what we found more and more aggravating was the attitude of these people.

So here is my suggestion. Next time you decide to travel, get a passport. Travel abroad and see what the rest of the world looks like. Come to think about it, you will be probably get angry that they don't speak English.

Then we had the groups that came down here and decided that they would use the beach for their personal trash can. Let's see how many cans of beer we can bury in the sand. Really? If you wanted a frat party go to Daytona.

To the Westin management, you have a few things to take care of. The grounds look great, however just put a little effort into remaking the rooms over and this would be an overall 5 star resort. Your staff is friendly and cordial yet has to deal with a bunch of high maintenance freaks. And for that we find your staff exemplary!

Room Tip: Building 21 is right in the middle and quiet.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank peteb201
Cyndal R, Administrative Assistant to The Director of Rooms at The Westin St. John Resort, responded to this review, 4 April 2012
Many thanks for sharing your perspective about your stay with us and thank you for taking the time to post your review to Trip Advisor! Everyone here at The Westin St. John enjoyed your post and we sincerely appreciate your understanding of small imperfections and issues that we sometimes experience on St. John. We were so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us, from your ferry transfer and wireless capabilities to your room accommodations and helpful associates, but we apologize for the things you experienced that did not exceed your expectations. I have passed your feedback on to Management regarding Housekeeping’s consistency and future room renovations, and we thank you for your patience and empathy regarding these concerns. We were so happy to hear you find our associates exemplary, as we strive to provide you with excellent Customer Service and a refreshing experience. Thank you again and we look forward to having you back with us in the future!
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 5 days last week and overall, we enjoyed the experience. The grounds of the resort are absolutely beautiful and very well-kept. The scenery is simply stunning. The beach is nice and private so you don't have to worry about annoying solicitors like we encountered recently in the Bahamas. Beach is a little different than most I have visited. It is small and you need to arrive early in the morning in order to get a chair/umbrella. The ocean is just okay in this spot. There is TONS of seaweed everywhere so its not comfortable to stay in for long periods of time and there are no waves here at all so you miss out on hearing the relaxing sound of waves crashing. The saving grace of our vacation was that the Westin will rent you floats to use in the ocean at no charge and we found floating in the ocean to be extremely pleasant. If you get out early enough, try to snag the floating dock for a little while. This is awesome and I wish they had more of these because some people would get on and stay on the entire day! We snagged it for about an hour one day and it was heaven! Nothing like sunning yourself in the middle of the ocean! The resort is great for kids and there were a ton of them when we were there. The main pool is HUGE so it wasn't too much of a problem having lots of kids in the pool because there was plenty of room to stretch out. As for some negative aspects of the resort: it is much older and the rooms at the resort are a bit outdated and I've heard that some have mold (ours did not). The A/C was very annoying. It either blows all the time and the room is freezing or it doesn't blow at all and the room is hot. There did not appear to be a happy medium. We decided to freeze and use lots of blankets. The bed was very comfortable and the standard room we stayed in was a nice size. Housekeeping was horrible and VERY slow. They didn't even make it to our room one day. The lady knocked on the door at 8:30 am and we told her we would be out in 10 minutes and she could go in. We left and came back at 5 pm and she still had not cleaned our room. We gave up and just asked for some towels. I was not overly impressed with the service at this resort, at all. Our room was not ready when we arrived at 3 pm. We were told that an early check-in would not be a problem but we ended up arriving at 3 which is the normal check-in time and our room was still not ready. The resort was concerned with this and barely even apologized. I explained that we were exhausted from traveling all day and needed a room asap and they said that no other rooms were available which was obviously BS. The people behind us in line got their keys right away as did the person in front of us. The food was pretty good. Breakfast was always pleasant although I would say, in comparison with other resorts I have visited, the buffet was pretty limited. It had all the normal stuff (eggs, bacon, sausage, cereals, etc) but was by no means exceptional. We had lunch everyday at the beach cafe and although the food was good, the service was EXTREMELY slow and the food was way overpriced (avg $50 check for 2 people to have sandwiches/soda for lunch). It took about 45 minutes to an hour to get our food after we ordered everyday which was a little ridiculous. The servers were all very nice at the Beach Cafe and at the bar located by the pool. We were not impressed with the food at Mango Deli at all. It was actually pretty disgusting. We tried it a couple of times and neither my husband nor I enjoyed our meals. Even the cupcakes were bad! We had dinner at Cruz Bay Prime one night and that was delicious and the service was excellent! However, it is very expensive so not a practical choice for dinner every night. We really enjoyed the spa, tennis courts, and gym. This resort has wonderful amenities. Overall, it was a nice, relaxing vacation and I would return but it might not be my first choice because of the price. I find all-inclusive resorts to be a better deal and I don't have to worry about the money we are spending on food/drinks so I can enjoy a little more.

Room Tip: We stayed in building 21 and were close to the beach/pool and all of the restaurants. Had a wonderfu...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Cyndal R, Administrative Assistant to The Director of Rooms at The Westin St. John Resort, responded to this review, 3 April 2012
Thank you very much for posting your review regarding your recent stay with us at The Westin St. John. While we were very pleased to hear that you enjoyed many aspects of our resort, including the landscaped grounds, private beach, entertaining pool and a plethora of food choices, we were disappointed to hear that other areas of your stay did not meet your expectations. We sincerely apologize for the condition of the Air Conditioning unit in your room. Due to the warmer climate of St. John, we sometimes experience issues with our Air Conditioning units and I have notified Engineering to take a look at the one in your room in order to prevent this from occurring in the future. We also apologize for the lack of Housekeeping service that you received during your stay. I have made Housekeeping Management aware of this situation and proper training will continue to take place to improve acceptable cleaning times and procedures. Thank you for your suggestion regarding the floating docks – I agree that it would benefit our guests if we had more than one, as I know they tend to get crowded at times. I will pass your suggestion along to our Activities Director and hopefully the next time we welcome you back, we will have executed your idea. Thank you again for posting your review – Please visit us again for another stay, one that not only meets but exceeds your expectations.
CT
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2012

St Jhn is described as the Jewel of the Carribean and that says it all!
We have been going to the Westin for several years, and are always pleased. It is a great place for kids: a lot of activities going on. If you are not into the usual noise kids make, just stay away from school vacations!
There are three places to eat on the property plus a deli for take out. We tried the Cruz Bay Prime this year and although pricy, was very good.
Taxis are always available for travel outside the resort. The lobby has 2 computers for free use, and free wireless for those who bring their own.
Reservations are handled in the lobby and so can a lot of useful information for exploring the island.
The resort has adapted a smoke-free property so if you enjoy that cigar or smoke, you may want to consider going there. Right now, there is one designated smoking area that is in the parking lot.

Room Tip: If you are renting a room, there are beach side buildings that maybe better with children
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Cyndal R, Administrative Assistant to The Director of Rooms at The Westin St. John Resort, responded to this review, 30 March 2012
Thank you for your review and also for your loyalty to both The Westin St. John and Starwood Hotels and Resorts. We were delighted to read that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and that you continue to return year after year. Cruz Bay Prime is delicious, and we were glad to hear you gave it a try this year. We can’t wait to welcome you back!
Frostburg, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2012

Although this place is a physical paradise, they destroy it by a ton of noise pollution. Right now, sleep is impossible due to a huge tent party outside of my bldg. there is loud, blaring music. We cannot read, watch tv or sit on our balcony. They have loud, mostly rock music everywhere you go. The pool, the deli, the bar. No need to go to Mexico if you want to party. Come here. There are no beheadings due to drug violence. Of course its $600 per night. First the screaming party music was supposed to stop at 10:00 pm. Then it was 10:30. I have called management twice. No results. I will never , ever stay here again. This is my second year here with my 13 year old daughter. We have an appt for a snorkel trip in the morning and can't go to bed. I would not recommend this place. It is truly awful.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Steve S
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Although I was disappointed to hear of the noise that obviously detracted from a relaxing and enjoyable stay for you and your family, we appreciate your comments, as without them, we sometimes do not know of less than ideal circumstances. We apologize for any inconvenience you experienced, as we did have a large group staying with us during the time of your vacation. Due to guest complaints and concerns, management has taken this occurrence into consideration and in the future, such events will not be allowed to happen. We sincerely apologize that the event hindered you and your family from resting, and we certainly hope your snorkel trip was not jeopardized due to this. Please feel free to reach out to me at 01098.guestrelations@westin.com and type Cyndal in the subject line. Again, thank you for your review and please be assured that for your next stay, we will provide you with a tranquil and relaxing Westin environment. We hope to welcome you back in the future!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cruz Bay
1.5 km away
Gallows Point Resort
Gallows Point Resort
#1 of 5 in Cruz Bay

Been to The Westin St. John Resort? Share your experiences!