New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Bolongo Bay Beach Resort

Bolongo Bay Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in South Coast
Louisville, KY
“This place is paradise!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2008

This is our third time at Bolongo and we were not disappointed. This is a resort that is for those who love the Carribean experience. It is NOT brass, mahogany, carpet, and sliding glass doors.... this IS all tile floors, ceiling fans, louvred windows, and the beach right outside your door. There is also the option for "all-inclusive" - Bolongo has 1 high end restaurant and 1 casual sports bar and grill on site - both right on the beach. Highlights: 2 sailing trips on their catamaran, the best drinks on the island, very friendly staff, and Carribean Carnival nite every wednesday, and side trip to St. John via ferry.
We will be back!

• Disliked — small bathroom, no tub
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mammarita

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (280)
Minneapolsi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2008

My recent stay ab Bolongo Bay was very enjoyable. I was on a girlfriend getaway and found it met my needs, sun, relaxation, good food, drinks, and access to other activities if desired. True to some of the other reviews it is not posh, but that is ok as they are not marketing themselves as posh. They staff was more then accommodating and helped us set up activities as needed. Rooms true could use some updating but I didn't do a winter getaway to sit in a room anyway. I have done other all inconclusive and never thought the food and drink was more then a weak ok this place had good food and drinks, they did not use the cheap liquor because you were all inclusive which I have had that situation happen. I also loved the fact that you did not have to get up at 6 am to camp out on a beach chair in order to secure one which was my experience at much more upscale resort I went to last year. I certainly recommend this spot and hope to to a return visit.

• Liked — staff
  • Disliked — showers could have more hot water availabe.
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank lovethesun1123
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2008

We stayed 7 nights at Bolong Bay resort and loved every minute of it. The staff is very accomadating and very friendly.
The room was nice and had a great view.
We had the all inclusive plan which included all meals and beverages. The food was wonderful. The Lobster Grille had excellent food and the service was fabulous. Iggies on the beach was great for lunches and the buffets at Iggies were also very good.
The drinks were wonderful, and premium liquor and beer were always available.
The beach area is very large and kept very clean. There are plenty of lounging chairs and hammocks. The pool area is also very nice, with a walk up bar.
Many activities are offered with the package, including the 6 hour trip to St. John and the Sunset cruise. Both offered food and drinks and were very fun.
We were also able to schedule parasailing, and scuba and diving were also available.
We also were able to take the shuttle to go shopping and had great transportation to and from the airport.
They have a beautiful area for weddings, and we got to see many of them performed.
The nightly entertainment that is offered is fun and available to everyone.
I would recommend Bolongo Bay to anyone who is thinking about a trip to St. Thomas.
It was an eceptional trip for me.

• Liked — the friendliness of all of the staff
  • Disliked — the lack of hot water for showers
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled with friends
5 Thank bjdahl76
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2008

Darcie and I can't stop telling everyone how much fun we had staying at Bolongo Bay!
We have been on many cruises and stayed at swanky hotels all over but this was the best, most relaxing vacation we have ever had! We felt so at home every day and finally after many years of snorkeling I took my first dive lesson and a two tank dive, I am hooked! The entire staff was so friendly and helpful, and the food; back to that swanky hotel comment! Every meal we ate at the Lobster Grille was top notch, and Robert the chef came out and talked with us every night and made us feel like he had specially prepared the meal just for us. Before and after diner you've got to relax at the poolside bar and have Harry or Larson mix you up a special drink or just a cold Presidente! The food and the fun at Iggies was just as good as the Lobster Grille, our only regret was we did'nt do the all inclusive plan, we ended up eating out on the town only twice the entire ten days!

What can we say about the beach staff; they are totally awesome! From "G",TJ,Marcello, and Ryan we were papmered every day! If you want to kayak,snorkel,sail,Jet Ski, or just relax on the beach they took care of everything and became our friends! The Heavanly Days cruise to St John is a blast and a Capt Dan,Chris, and Steph are the best crew even with the Christmas Winds soaking us!
Again there were so many amazing,super friendly staff who made this the best vacation ever. But you have to have Vernita help you with any of your day trips she was an angel! And make sure she books you with the famous "Monica Lewiski" tour of St Thomas with Radiant Delita Parsons(The meanest cab driver on the island) I didn't know that meanest in St Thomas speak is beautiful!

We can't wait to get back to Bolongo Bay it was great!

Greg & Darcie from Texas

• Liked — The way they made you feel at home.
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank GREGOTX
Castile, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2008

We just returned from the best vacation we've ever had. We've never been to the Caribbean so we did a lot of looking on-line at every imaginable island out there. We chose the Bolongo Bay for its small size ( I can go to a Marriott or Hilton in any city) and island appeal. The staff was always friendly and willing to go the extra mile for you. The food had a lot of variety and would match the best of fancy places. We chose the all-inclusive and I'd say it was well worth it. I found the rooms to be quite nice and contrary to popular belief, I thought the showers were fine ( and we're not small people). I really found the reviews I read on-line to be the final reason for choosing Bolongo Bay. I already felt like I knew the place before I got there. I would recommend snorkeling. I had never done it before and was a little nervous, but it was so easy and beautiful. We almost extended aour 8 day stay because we liked the place so much.

Stayed January 2008
5.1 km away
Sugar Bay Resort & Spa
Sugar Bay Resort & Spa
#4 of 5 in East End

Been to Bolongo Bay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!