“Memories for a lifetime”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Charlotte Amalie
At Home In The Tropics Bed and Breakfast Inn
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 12 October 2017

When I booked my trip to St. Thomas I knew I was going to propose to my beautiful girlfriend. I wasn't sure when or where, but the island has some of the worlds best beaches and great dining...so I was sure to find it. After being at At Home In The Tropics for a few hours, I had made up my mind. The picturesque balcony from room 2 would be the backdrop for the beginning of the rest of my life.

enough of the mushy stuff...
My room - room 2 - was much larger than I expected from a VI B&B. The vaulted ceilings made it so spacious. The bed was large and comfortable, I slept great every night. The air conditioner worked wonderfully for sleeping and with doors on either side of the room, the breeze during the day was fantastic. I am one who likes to totally unpack my suitcase when I travel and I was happy to see two large armoires (including a safe for the engagement ring!). There is a tv in the room, but I'm not sure we even turned it on. The standup shower has plenty of hot water while we were there.

As I said already, the location is beautiful, overlooking the cruise port and downtown. The pool was great for relaxing, lots of chairs, pool floats - mood lighting at night with a great breakfast bar area. The pool and deck area were kept clean.

Our hosts were fantastic. Always available, but not intrusive. They provided countless recommendations and were willing to help us out with anything we needed. I consider myself a foodie and the breakfast was always on point. The whole experience really did make me feel at home - in the tropics.

My only complaint is that after spending a week here, Mark and Jess were like family and I was so worried when Hurricaine Irma hit. -- which btw they have posted a bunch of great photos on their instagram showing their place made it through with very little damage!.

I very much cannot wait to return to this paradise.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
AtHomeInTheTropics, Owner at At Home In The Tropics Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2017

Sorry it took us so long to respond to your review. Hurricanes and all made internet a challenge for a little while. We were absolutely honored that you chose our B&B as the backdrop for your wedding proposal. Thank you for letting us be a part of that special moment. It is always appreciated to hear that guests enjoyed themselves at our property and found the rooms, amenities and ambience provided met their needs during their vacation. We hope that you will consider this as "your home" in the tropics for return visit(s)!

Reviewed 14 August 2017

Our family of four stayed here last week and we loved it. The property is very pretty with an authentic west-indies feel, it’s super-clean and the views from the breakfast patio can’t be beat. This B&B should be at the top of everyone’s list for accommodations in Charlotte Amalie. Thanks Jessica for helping to make this a truly memorable vacation for our family.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
AtHomeInTheTropics, Owner at At Home In The Tropics Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2017

We are very happy that you all enjoyed your stay with us and time in St Thomas. It was a pleasure to meet your family! Thank you for taking the time to write a review & for being taste testers on a new recipe while you were here.

Reviewed 11 August 2017

A dead cockroach languished outside our room for several days, another netted from the pool, lack of handrails throughout ... the steps descending from the parking to the main entrance, the 9 foot deep pool, and the elevated deck in the back of the room. Very poor room service (no toilet paper, unmade bed, bathroom trash can over-flowing); the pool decking is ancient, sags in spots and sports protruding nail heads. A room AC that was intrusively loud, Houdini requirements to unlock the front gate and finally we felt like we were intruding on Mark and Jessica's summer down time. Visit during season and my guess is you'll get better service.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple

By way of background, this is now the 8th review written by this guest for the same stay. The other reviews were taken down by TripAdvisor for violations of their terms. Over the course of these 8 reviews, we have struggled to understand how each review for the same stay could contain new and different complaints, photos, ratings (ranging from 1 to 3 stars), and misrepresentations. The hostility exhibited is particularly surprising given that the guests never raised any issue whatsoever during their stay. We answered 15+ emails prior to their stay and dozens of questions daily during their stay. That being said, we will try to address this current list of issues as best as possible.
We extend the same hospitality to all our guests regardless of the time of year. All guest rooms receive a daily housekeeping refresh unless a guest declines. This is a family run business, not a large chain hotel with layers of management. Thus, we can say with absolute certainty that housekeeping is done daily unless a guest refuses. For some reason, this guest refused housekeeping two days in a row, and took that opportunity to snap a photo and complain of a full garbage can and a lack of amenities. We also find it difficult to believe that a dead bug (the best kind of bug) was present outside of any room door for days. We personally sweep the entirety of the property 3 times a day because flowers and leaves fall all year long. We take great pride in the cleanliness of our rooms and property, so claims like this, given how rare they are, are surprising and confusing.
Nothing is missing or broken from our pool area or deck. There are very sturdy wooden railings to our room deck balconies and the pool area deck that have been there for decades. The railings are freshly painted and are illuminated at night with solar lights. Our deep water pool looks the same in person as it does in the photos online. As we state on our website we are located on a step street. This street is owned and maintained by the government. If future guest has mobility issues or concerns please call us.
We want all of our guests to enjoy their precious vacation time and we are confident that we provide a high level of service and hospitality to all of our guests. We pride ourselves on providing the unique experience of staying in a historic home in an authentic Caribbean neighborhood. We are a small, 4 room, family run business that provides great care, service and attention to our guests. We hope that those guests who desire this type of authentic experience choose to stay with us in the future.

Reviewed 24 July 2017

Our stay on St. Thomas in July 2017 was excellent thanks to At Home In The Tropics! The owners of this B&B, Mark and Jessica, provided excellent accommodations for my husband and I, as well as four of our friends. We found this to be a great location for our trip, as its location was private, yet close to town.
Upon arrival, we were given a tour of the grounds, and from there, we felt comfortable to roam about and help ourselves to the amenities in the common areas. Our room was clean, and was refreshed daily. Also, wifi and air conditioning were satisfactory.
Each morning, Jessica provided a hearty, healthy breakfast, which included fresh fruits, and refreshing smoothies (in addition to coffee and tea). While always respectful of guests' privacy, Jessica was delightful to talk with and glad to answer any questions we had regarding the B&B, as well as the island sites and restaurants.
We would absolutely recommend At Home In The Tropics for your stay in the USVI!

Room Tip: All rooms were clean and refreshed daily with excellent views and air conditioning!
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
AtHomeInTheTropics, Owner at At Home In The Tropics Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2017

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and what we provide for guests. It was a pleasure to chat with all of you and help you make the most of your St Thomas trip. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed 23 July 2017

Our family stayed overnight at this B&B, on our way to pick up a sailboat in the BVI. Everything about the B&B delighted us. Extremely helpful, friendly, and professional couple are the resident owners. Terrific views of the harbor. Just far enough up the hill to be away from the hubub of Charlotte Amalie and the tourists. Delicious breakfast. Helpful hosts. It was perfect. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
AtHomeInTheTropics, Owner at At Home In The Tropics Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2017

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. It was a pleasure to meet your family & have you stay with us. We hope the rest of your trip was fantastic too. It is always a pleasure to have guests that are delighted with their stay at our property, thank you again!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlotte Amalie
8.5 km away
Sapphire Beach Resort
Sapphire Beach Resort
#4 of 5 in East End

Been to At Home In The Tropics Bed and Breakfast Inn? Share your experiences!