“Wet, wild and wonderful!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Fury Charters

Fury Charters
Ranked #2 of 41 Tours in Charlotte Amalie
More attraction details
Owner description: SWIM WITH THE TURTLES SNORKEL SAIL! The #1 excursion in Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas just got a whole lot better! Join the US Coast Guard certified professional crew of the newly refit, impeccably maintained, sailing yacht Fury on a 1/2 day excursion to Swim with the Giant Green Sea Turtles at the National Wildlife Marine Sanctuary at Buck Island. Here you will encounter a variety of sea life, including stingrays, conch, starfish, tropical fish and up to 20 endangered green sea turtles feeding "naturally" along our beautiful, calm, protected coral reef. Fury is not one of those large, overcrowded cattlemarans, Fury is a classic 46' Morgan Ketch with a maximum capacity of 25 passengers, providing a superior experience and unparalleled service for our guests. Plenty of shade for the fair-skinned under the custom bimini. We will even pick you up at the Havensite Cruiseship Dock with our boat. NO CAB RIDES! NO HASSLES! Don't miss this unique and popular wildlife experience! FURY IS A NON-SMOKING VESSEL.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Virginia
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Wet, wild and wonderful!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012

Our sail to Buck Island started shortly after a downpour, and we were hit with more showers along the way. We were also fortunate enough to spot a humpback whale on our way out, and judging by the chatter on the radio it was a surprise to see them.
Because the water was too rough at our original snorkel spot we dropped anchor in a calmer cove. Our guide was great and after our safety drill he joined us in the water to point out some sea life to us. Even though we did not get to swim where the turtles were, we were able to spot one, as well as a stingray, the shipwreck and plenty of fish.
The booking process was easy, and Capt. Mike was quick to reply to e-mails and phone calls.

Visited March 2012
usvisailior, Owner at Fury Charters, responded to this review, 30 March 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our trip. Your understanding is very much appreciated when it came to the weather and seas that day. Occasionally, maybe 1 day every 2 months, the weather prohibits us from going to Turtle Cove and we go to our "backup snorkel spot" which is Wreck Cove, around the corner. For safety reasons as well as a better snorkeling experience, we diverted to Wreck Cove and although they are harder to find, we do have turtles in that cove as well...The Whales were amazing and as you pointed out, the crew and the other boats were very excited to see them pass through. We get to see the Humpback Whales 1 or 2 days out of the whole season. Great Fun! Thanks again and we hope to see you back in the USVI's soon.

Tampa, Florida
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“DO NOT BOOK WITH ANYONE ELSE!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

Oh my goodness....what a great day!
What we LOVED....pickup at the port, SMALL group (only 18 of us), beautiful sailboat ride, turtles, drinks, snacks, leisurely trip back to port!
What we DISLIKED....absolutely NOTHING!

It was the better than what we had even hoped for! Do not hesitate in using this company! They were reliable and so much fun!

Visited March 2012
Short and Sweet. Thanks for the Great review! Capt. Mike
Concord, New Hampshire
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Stop reading reviews, book this trip now!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

Don't even finish this review - book this trip now. Why are you still reading?!? Did you book it?... Good. Nobody - and I mean nobody has such rave reviews on TripAdvisor. Fury Charters certainly delivers and they are highly recommended. Hopefully the following review will help you decide to book if you haven't already:

Our recent trip was on the Norwegian Epic - a monstrous cruise ship. I (40 years old) went with my parents, both 60, my wife, 40 and my son who is 10 decided on an NCL cruise for February vacation. We would typically rent a home on an island for vacations, but with a 10 year old we wanted to be sure that there was plenty to do - the Epic delivered.

My back story is valuable purely for understanding more about the tour provided by 'Captain Mike', Chris and Donny. I am not a fan of the sheer volume of people involved with cruising on such large ships. Mostly because of the fact that excursions and tours tend to be impossibly busy and you get virtually no time to actually do any of the advertised activities. Between organizing the large tours, bus and taxi rides, generally late/rude travelers - you get zero time to enjoy anything. Plus, with a diverse age group going I wanted to find something that appealed to everyone in our party.

Knowing that The Epic has nearly four thousand people on board and that there were six other cruise ships (?!) in St. Thomas on this day I was looking for a small, intimate event that my family and I could enjoy. Megan's Bay Beach was recommended, but with probably 10,000 other cruise passengers descending on the same strip of sand I thought it better to find a slightly less crazy venue.

On short notice (the weekend before we sailed - you should book earlier) I called Captain Mike and asked if there was any space available on short notice. Mike took my call on Saturday evening at 9PM (sorry Mike!) and was both wiling to take my reservation as well as email a confirmation as well as instructions on getting to the dock for the tour. The entire booking process was fast and flawless.

The tour was with in walking distance from the ship so there was no need for a taxi - saving time and money, both a big plus. We booked the early tour (8:30AM departure) and we were greeted on time by Captain Mike at the designated spot - The Fat Turtle restaurant just off the pier where The Epic docks. Captain Mike introduced us to his crew, Chris and Donny, and then Mike bid us farewell. Unfortunately my dad was feeling seasick, so he had to bail out. My mom, wife, son and I decided to make the trip as my dad went back to the ship.

There were only 18 of us in total which was exactly what I was looking for when deciding on an excursion with fewer people. We quickly boarded Fury and started our sail out to an island just off St. Thomas. We motored out of the harbor and then the crew put up the sails for a little sailing. It took us about 45 minutes of smooth sailing to reach the island.

Chris and Donny were very helpful to those that needed support in setting up snorkeling gear (we brought our own) and we were in the water within fifteen minutes of getting to the location. Donny provided us with a guided tour (if we wanted to partake) and showed us a few of the local creatures. He brought us right to the location of where numerous sea turtles were feeding and we took some time to watch the turtles graze and occasionally come up for air.

We then snorkeled a little closer to the island in order to see more coral and fish. We were allowed almost an hour and a quarter of snorkel time in total. Plenty of time to take in all of the sights in this location. The water is actually fairly cool (relative to body temperature), so you can get a little chilly after a while - keep that in mind.

After being helped back on board we were then treated to drinks (beer, rum punch, soda and juice) and snacks. Their was quiet music playing in the background during the entire trip that I think added nicely to the overall experience. Both Chris and Donny are what I expect in The Islands - very laid back, personable and helpful.

This trip is a bargain at twice the price! Very well run, extremely organized and had a personal touch that is rarely found in trips like this. All of these guys are local folks (Chris's in-laws have been on the island since the seventies) and they deliver a product that is exceptional in every way.

If you haven't decided to book the trip by now... well, there probably is no help for you. You shouldn't even bother looking for anything else and just stay on the ship.

We'll be sure to look these guys up when we are in St. Thomas again. Thanks guys for a fantastic trip!

4 Thank NH_Keef
usvisailior, Owner at Fury Charters, responded to this review, 30 March 2012
Funny Reviewer. Thanks for the raves! We have been told that we should charge more for our trip, but I know everyone is watching their wallets these days, so we decided to provide a $10 discount for the winter and just extended that into August. I think that has an effect on our bookings as we are trying to stay busy ourselves to keep Donnie and Chris working! The FURY trip does make sense for the budget conscience traveler as we pick up and drop off at the Havensite cruise ship dock. No Stress! Thanks again and hope to see you back on Island again, maybe spend a week at a villa this time.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Fantastic Time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2012

Highly recommend fury Charters...had a wonderfull time snorkelig and sailing...crew very helpfull and fun to chat with...will return on our next trip !!

1 Thank ANTHONY W
Atlanta, Georgia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Great time on Fury!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2012

My husband and 2 kids did the half day snorkel/sail. There were about 24 people on board and mine were the only kids. Our ship docked at Havensight and it was and we walked to the end of the pier, over to Fat Turtle where we were to meet. There is no need to take a cab.

My daughter (7) did not like the snorkeling, but she did enjoy being on the boat. She did try snorkeling, but was getting upset that she couldn't breath through her nose with the goggles on. The water was choppy and she was taking in some water. They gave her a boogie board to try that had a glass circle that you can view from and she tried that, but the water was just too choppy. Within 5 minutes of being in the water, she was ready to get back on the boat. She sat on the boat and kept a look out for the turtles. It was the main thing we all wanted to see and she was happy.

Since my daughter was still on the boat, we decided to snorkel close to the boat. We saw several turtles. I did not see very many fish, but my husband and son ventured further than I did and they saw many. The people who went on a tour with Donny said they saw lots of fish and turtles.

On the way back to the dock, my son (11 and did not even want to go on this tour) said, "This was fun! Can we do this again if we come back here?"

3 Thank nstitches2