4,430 results
All reviews morning star frenchman's reef aqua terra coco joes the main hotel harbor wing sunset grill rum bar swim up bar adventure center sea cliff main pool infinity pool garden view night kayaking st thomas tennis courts
Reviewed 8 February 2013

This is my second time to this hotel. The first was 5 years ago and it was a totally different experience. We had a great time and the room was great. This time the rooms were dirty, our sink, tub, and air conditioner were broken in the first room. They did change rooms but then the sink backed up the first time I tried to brush my teeth. :-( I wrote my name in the dust on the head board....

The staff was rude. Menus were out of date. Concierge wasn't available most of the time and at 3pm on a Friday I would think someone should be available to help make reservations for the weekend.

2 nights in a row there were parties on the terrace directly above our room on the sea cliff. I understand the hotel needs to make money and does so with these parties but a little advanced warning to the guests would have been appreciated so we could have arranged to be out of our room. We hadn't planned on listening to someone else’s party on our relaxing night in nor rolling away tables till 11pm. The hotel did comp 1 night and gave us dinner and drinks but I would have rather had a restful vacation. 2 staff members went above and beyond, Alissa and Patrick from the pool. BRAVO you too. Keep them around!

In all fairness the bacon at breakfast was amazing and so was the view from the room. It’s close to downtown and the shopping areas which is just a ferry ride away.

I would personally suggest another island. Did the cayman islands last year and will go them again.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 February 2013

My husband and my parents stayed at this resort December of 2012. It was a great experience! My husband is a frequent traveler, and has been platinum and gold with marriott and thus we have stayed at many Marriott properties and this was one of our best experiences. We stayed at Morning Star the first 2 nights, and then Frenchman's Reef the last 3 in connecting rooms. The rooms were all very modern and clean. I personally enjoyed the last three nights more . . .we all preferred this view over the other one.
The walls are really thin however (or maybe our neighbors were exceptionally loud), and the first 2 nights we heard EVERYTHING going on in our neighbors room. The hotel was prompt in dealing with this situation, and more than compensated us for this issue.
The resort is beautiful-we had breakfast in our plan and it was delicious (nothing spectacular), the restaurants on the property are great as well (I think we ate at most of them).
While all of the above was great, it was the management that won us over.
They were SO attentive and nice. They knew our names, helped us with everything and anything. I even lost something on a beach at St. John's (not even the island we were on) and they tracked it down for her and MAILED it back to the US (for FREE! even though we insisted on paying for the package).
We will definetely be back!!!!

Room Tip: The rooms in the tower are nicer/newer with a better view.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank IrvineCaligirl
Joyce G, Director of Sales at Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2013

Thank you for staying at Frenchman’s Reef and Morning Star Beach Resort! As a Marriott member, we know that you have an eye for the standards our brand is built upon. We are pleased you enjoyed both of our properties, room decor, restaurant fare, views and especially our signature service. Thank you for the thoughtful review and we look forward to your return visit!

Reviewed 7 February 2013

We had an amazing time in January at the Marriott Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Beach Resort. We spent a few days in a villa overlooking the beach (hotel side of the resort) before staying the rest of the week on the other side of the resort (still overlooking the beach!) on the time share side of the resort. The service was excellent. The rooms were fantastic (clean, quiet, great views of the ocean). The food was great (poolside breakfast, poolside lunch and dinner on the terrace with live music under the stars). Great amenities (workout facilities, evening kayaking in a clear bottomed kayak that was illuminated, and sunset sail). Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank VnG_Eagan

Thank you for the outstanding review! It really sounds like you had a perfect getaway, all aspects of your stay exceeding your expectations. We are pleased you enjoyed our clean rooms, views and cuisine. I also appreciate the compliment of our service as excellent. We pride ourselves on our ability to make our guests feel welcome at every point of their stay. We look forward to that return visit!

Reviewed 7 February 2013

From the moment we arrived at this hotel, it was an absolute zoo (best description.) It was complete and utter chaos in the lobby and we waited 25 minutes just to check-in -totally unacceptable. My husband and I were wrapping up our honeymoon and planned on staying at the Marriott for a couple of nights before flying out of St. Thomas so figured this hotel was the most convenient. Upon check-in, they could not accomodate an early check-in and we were persuaded by the young man at the front desk to 'upgrade' to a corner room with a wrap around balcony in the main hotel that is 'never available' (turned out to be a COMPLETE downgrade). Us, not knowing better agreed to the supposed upgrade and were given a pager (one that you would get at a Ruby Tuesday) and were told it would go off when our room was ready. Now ..not to mention there was high high traffic everyone we walked, we could also hear the pool DJ in the lobby. We went down to have lunch (it was ok, but very greasy) and for me it resembled a trashier version of a Las Vegas hotel pool. Not really our scene but could be attractive to other people. The views were great, but they are mostly any beach front hotel in the Caribbean.

We were paged that our room was ready and we went back to the desk only to wait another 20 minutes for someone new to help us (the kid who originally helped us was no where to be seen.) We finally got our own luggage and got up to the room only to find it was a regular room, not the upgrade we were promised! My husband went downstairs to figure out the situation while I waited in the new room. About five minutes later 2 maintenance men came barging into the room and said they needed to replace the bathroom lightbulbs. They took the big glass mirror off the bathroom wall, dropped it and it chipped glass all over the floor of the room while I sat there. They changed the bulbs and picked up a few pieces of glass and left (of course leaving tiny glass particles everywhere and were a bit creepy to begin with.)
My husband spoke with Kyle - who worked for Marriott corporate and he was very very kind and helpful. He put us in the 'best suite' that was available and was extremely cognizant of the apparent issues the hotel had been having. We went to the new room - a Harbour Suite - a long walk to the side of the hotel down some disgusting dingy hallways that looked like they haven't been touched since erection. When we arrived at the new room there were 2 maintanence men putting the front door back on the room because it was 'broken'. So the picture shown on the website DOES NOT reflect what this room really looks like and I wish I had taken photos to share. It is the second floor, you have a view of a dark parking lot then the harbor. The inside feels very sparce and barren and for the kicker .. there is a HUGE jacuzzi with tacky aquamarine colored tiling and mirrors all over the walls - IN the bedroom! The giant jacuzzi with several stairs is part of the bedroom. It was a sight. We were in this new room for about 5 minutes until a cleaning woman barged in was like oops! And left screaming about how she didn't know anyone checked in.

At this point, I had enough and turned to my husband that we were leaving. We went back downstairs and told Kyle we were checking out. I have to say Kyle was absolutely wonderful. I work for a Fortune 50 company and the caliber of his professionalism and service was extraordinary and we were very impressed and thankful for his assistance.

We ended up staying at the Ritz Carlton which was incredible and they were incredibly accomodating. We will stay at Marriott's again - just not this one.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Kristinas27

Thank you for the detailed feedback of your check-in experience, which gives us the power to make the corrections necessary to avoid these types of mistakes in the future. On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused to you and your husband. I would also like to personally say thank you for bringing our attention to Kyle’s exemplary service. If there is anything further you wish to share, feel free to contact me at sttfrexperienceteam@marriotthotels.com. Please let me know if we may ever be of assistance to you in any way.

Reviewed 6 February 2013

As in all of St. Thomas, the staff were very friendly and the view is spectacular as the hotel sits on the cliffs. However, the food was very mediocre. We were there for a conference and ate most of our meals at the hotel. Most of the food wasn't even seasoned properly. The one bright spot was dessert. The pastries and candies made by the pastry chef were exquisite. The beach is nice and the hotel provides free umbrellas, snorkels, kick boards, and kayaks. But the jacuzzis aren't always hot, and the rooms are a little worn.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Kim F

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay. We appreciate the recognition of our staff, beautiful views and beach amenities. I have shared your comments about our cuisine with our management team, both your compliments and suggestion for improvement. If another conference or vacation brings you to St. Thomas, we look forward to hosting you again!