All reviews snack shack beach shack three bedroom cane bay north shore screened in porch st croix upstairs loft columbus cove building closest to the ocean drinking establishments excellent eating updated appliances washer dryer in the unit constant reminder salt water pool condo complex
Reviewed 26 June 2017 via mobile

Spent a week and a half in K1 and thoroughly enjoyed the stay. The condo is well-appointed and the grounds, pool area, and beach are well-kept and maintained. While the beach here has a nice area for swimming and snorkeling, we pretty much visited several other beaches around St Croix and had the condo as our base of operations.

There is a nice little bar/snack shop open at the pool Wed-Sun, 12-3 (at least when we were there in mid-June). Sheila serves burgers and soups and such, as well as drinks!

Although there is wifi available in the individual units, the only drawback was the scarcity of phone coverage (which includes data and texts). We were able to use our WiFi calling feature, but it seemed to drop out alot. There was additional wifi by the pool, and there was supposed to be a signal booster for phone/data by the pool, but I wasn't able to find it the one time I tried.

The beach offers a perfect view of the sun when it sets, which happens approximately two hours earlier than our native eastern time zone. The Atlantic time zone is an hour ahead of us, except in the summer when eastern goes to daylight savings, but they don't. Being so far east and so much closer to the equator, the sun needed to get to bed earlier!

If you can find one of the grounds workers in the morning, you might be able to ask for a fresh coconut or two as they're trimming the palm trees. They will often cut the tops off for you so you can easily get to the milk inside!

All the staff at Gentle Winds were friendly and more than willing to help when asked. The office has a public laptop connected to a printer which was helpful in printing our boarding passes when we checked in on line for our airlines.

All-in-all, this was a very pleasant place to spend our first vacation to St Croix!

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 May 2017

I have visited Gentle Winds condos for over 10 years, mostly staying in unit C-6.
Wh visited again in March so that we could catch the St Patrick's Day parade - What a Hoot!!! The parade was fantastic with a Caribbean twist.

Unit C-6 is just as wonderful as the first time we visited. Three bedroom, with two master suites, one on the 1st floor and one on the 2nd. Great views of the Caribbean - you can see St Thomas and St Johns on clear nights and can catch an occasional cruise ship passing by.

Well equipped kitchen, accessible owner if there are any issues ( had just one in our numerous stays), pool, beach shack with great burgers - what else do you need?

I highly recommend....

Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank toc919
Reviewed 10 May 2017

We rented a condominium at Gentle Winds based on Trip Adviser reviews and booked through VRBO. Very easy to work with Sharon Early who manages Unit J2. Grounds are impeccable. Condo was very well appointed and comfortable.

We rented a car and purchased a used Garmin GPS with Caribbean maps off of eBay prior to the trip for 50.00. (Don't leave in your car...always take it with you. Never lock your rental.) We explored St. Croix with ease from Gentle Winds location which is minutes from Cane Bay and Christiansted.

We bought a weeks worth of groceries at Plaza Grocery store for 240.00 (including alcohol and mixers). Two meals out for two people cost us 175.00 so you can see how eating out in the tourists areas can add up.

We love St. Croix and met many friendly locals. We had heard rumors on Trip Adviser about the bad crime but we felt extremely safe. We did not venture out much at night and did most our in-town excursions in the mornings. Our view of the beach and ocean on the screened in porch at J2 unit gave us no reason to do anything but relax and enjoy the view.

Best activities that we enjoyed:
Point Udall
Hike Issacs and Jack Bay
Cruzan Cowgirls Horseback riding
Hike Sugarloaf Hill to the Radio Telescope
Cramers Park East End
Turners Hole
Drive through the rainforest on Mahogany Rd (Do not stop at Mt. Pellier Domino Club)
Morning in Fredricksted (town, shopping, fort, beautiful beach, pier)
Morning in Christiansted (town, shopping, fort, boardwalk, view of Hotel on the Cay)

Room Tip: Beautiful grounds, pool, beach...impeccably kept.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Michael C
Reviewed 3 May 2017

Fantastic location in the building closest to the ocean. Could hear the wave even when the windows were closed. Clean condo with everything you need for a fantastic time in St Croix. Gentle Winds property was very nice - beach palapas were great, pool was also fantastic - the beach wasn't that great - a bit rocky - but that was no issue, Poolside BBQ was open every day - great place for burgers and drinks. As the other reviews indicate - the condos are older and ours was a bit dated - but it was no issue for us - everything worked fine and was perfect for a laid back beach vacation.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Bettykosu91
Reviewed 8 April 2017

We loved the space of our condo...3 beds, 3 bathrooms. Loved the patios off the living room and the master. Lots of nice knickknacks-- one could tell that someone tried to make it homey. Except for the bathrooms, it was kind of dated though. Think 80s decor. The floor was a boring white tile. Kitchen was completely old and tired. Stainless steel fridge, but counter and cabinets were kind of yucky. There were little bugs on the counter when we first got there so we went to to grocery store for ant spray. The views were beautiful. The people at the snack shack on the beach were nice, but there were a lot of flies around there, so that's something to think about if your'e weird like me. Beach was beautiful. Plenty of chairs. There were workers fixing something during part of the time we were there, so lots of banging and drilling and that wasn't fun at all. I rented a jeep and learned to my detriment that the roads were poorly marked and potentially deadly due to crazy drivers speeding around blind corners. Once a guy even jumped out of his car and came at us because I had hesitated before going into an intersection. He started cursing at me, scaring the crap out of me and my kids so I sped away and he actually CHASED ME IN HIS CAR! He finally stopped but it was the most bizarre, scariest experiences ever. I thought his response was way over the top and there were no police in sight. By the way, cell service is also poor so good luck calling for help. Anyway, because of the poor roads, crappy grocery stores (lots of things were expired), dated condo and generally feeling unsafe, even though the condo was fairly inexpensive, I don't think I will be doing this trip alone again with my two kids anytime soon.

Room Tip: We were in Bldg I which is closest to the beach
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family