All reviews snack shack beach shack three bedroom cane bay north shore st croix upstairs loft columbus cove drinking establishments excellent eating updated appliances washer dryer in the unit constant reminder salt water pool amenities include maintained grounds visited several
Reviewed 3 May 2017

Fantastic location in the building closest to the ocean. Could hear the wave even when the windows were closed. Clean condo with everything you need for a fantastic time in St Croix. Gentle Winds property was very nice - beach palapas were great, pool was also fantastic - the beach wasn't that great - a bit rocky - but that was no issue, Poolside BBQ was open every day - great place for burgers and drinks. As the other reviews indicate - the condos are older and ours was a bit dated - but it was no issue for us - everything worked fine and was perfect for a laid back beach vacation.

Date of stay: April 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Bettykosu91
Reviewed 8 April 2017

We loved the space of our condo...3 beds, 3 bathrooms. Loved the patios off the living room and the master. Lots of nice knickknacks-- one could tell that someone tried to make it homey. Except for the bathrooms, it was kind of dated though. Think 80s decor. The floor was a boring white tile. Kitchen was completely old and tired. Stainless steel fridge, but counter and cabinets were kind of yucky. There were little bugs on the counter when we first got there so we went to to grocery store for ant spray. The views were beautiful. The people at the snack shack on the beach were nice, but there were a lot of flies around there, so that's something to think about if your'e weird like me. Beach was beautiful. Plenty of chairs. There were workers fixing something during part of the time we were there, so lots of banging and drilling and that wasn't fun at all. I rented a jeep and learned to my detriment that the roads were poorly marked and potentially deadly due to crazy drivers speeding around blind corners. Once a guy even jumped out of his car and came at us because I had hesitated before going into an intersection. He started cursing at me, scaring the crap out of me and my kids so I sped away and he actually CHASED ME IN HIS CAR! He finally stopped but it was the most bizarre, scariest experiences ever. I thought his response was way over the top and there were no police in sight. By the way, cell service is also poor so good luck calling for help. Anyway, because of the poor roads, crappy grocery stores (lots of things were expired), dated condo and generally feeling unsafe, even though the condo was fairly inexpensive, I don't think I will be doing this trip alone again with my two kids anytime soon.

Room tip: We were in Bldg I which is closest to the beach
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 2 April 2017 via mobile

Dirty, dingy and in awful shape. There was black mold everywhere, all of the towels were stained, the kitchen was dirty and the AC broke four days before we arrived.
And the listing agent was unapologetic and unhelpful.

Trip type: Travelled with family
7  Thank maryanns473
GENTLEWINDSJ3, Owner at Gentle Winds Condominiums, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2017

The Gentle Winds Condominium is a beautiful complex with 40 acres of beautifully manicured grounds and beach. As the owner of unit J3, I take all complaints seriously and would like to answer the complaint of Maryann and her father Don, who stayed at the condo in March at the same time but posted separately in trip advisor. I would like to point out that in the tropics air conditioners run around the clock year around and do break down and have to be repaired. When the air conditioner went out and parts were ordered for the fix, the window units were installed at the cost of $1500. for the comfort of these guest, right before they arrived, so we didn't strand the guest without air conditioning. The technician we needed for the repair was unfortunately off island. It is possible that a musty smell developed during this period of time without air conditioning. The air conditioner has been fixed and is working well. The condo is cool and fresh.

The pots and pans, towels and pillows were replaced last November 2016 when we were there. Although we only had 4 guest stay there since our visit, we are replacing the pots and pans again as well as the kitchen linens and pillows. I have shipped new towels twice since then as we send higher quality towels that are not available locally on the island .

The condo has been thoroughly cleaned. It is important to note that the housekeeper has already been replaced as she left the island that week, which may explain her lack luster cleaning her last week.

When we were there last November 2016 there was no evidence of mold anywhere in the condo and it was clean. The condo has been inspected by the manager and another rental agent with 35 years experience and neither found mold.

Reviewed 1 April 2017

I stayed at Gentle Winds condos March 16,2017 to March 24,2017 Unit J3
The condo complex is nicely situated with a beautiful ocean front view. The water here can be quite rough and the swimming area is very small. The freeform pool is very nice and well taken care of. Drinks at the snack shack were fine.
I was with my wife and adult daughter. My daughter rented the unit J3 through VRBO.
The rental agent was Sharon Early of Caldwell Banker St. Croix Realty. This unit was advertised as having central air. My daughter was notified 4 days before arrival that the air conditioning was not functioning. Room units were placed in the bedrooms.
When we arrived we founds J3 to be in poor condition. There was a strong mildew and mold odor that we immediately noted. This kitchen was in dismal condition. The pots and pans were junk. Not even good enough for a yard sale.Countertops were stained. Many of the cabinet doors didn't close. The drawers with utensils were filthy. The real estate agent did offer to have the cleaning done again. We declined as we did not want to be disturbed by something that should have been done before our arrival. Another superficial cleaning was not going to make a difference.
Room A/C units looked to be permanently installed in the bedrooms. I wonder how long the central air was not functioning. (FAKE advertising) It is impossible for me to sleep with the noise of these units. We had a queen bed but the blanket consisted of two single blankets. The pillows had an awful stench. There was black material in the bottom of the tub and in the bathroom grout that we couldn't get out. The reflective material of the mirrors was peeling off. The closet mirror in the master bath was off the track.
Other problems were a broken rotted screen door on the porch. There were only two chairs in the screened in area when the unit is for four people.
My wife and I have owned a beach condo that we rented. We know that they get dirty with sand and take heavy wear. It takes work to keep units looking clean and fresh.
The owner and the real estate agent Sharon Early obviously don't get it. We would have been ashamed and embarrassed to rent a place like J3 in its present condition. This could be a nice unit with some care, thorough cleaning and renovation. My advice is that if you choose to stay at Gentle Winds and don't want to ruin your vacation avoid J3 at all costs.

Trip type: Travelled with family
4  Thank 263DonS

Gentle Winds is a beautiful manicured complex with a large well kept beach area.

As the owner of J3 I take all complaints seriously and I would like to respond to Don and his daughter Maryann, who stayed at the condo at the same time but posted separately.
Don posted that the swimming area was very small. There is a roped off swimming area on the beach to show people where the shallow water is. This is important for children and their parents. There is no restriction regarding swimming. Swimmers and divers are welcome to swim and dive outside the rope and often do.

I would like to point out that in the tropics air conditioners run around the clock and year around and they do break down and have to be repaired. The central air system is less than 4 years old. When the air conditioning went out and parts ordered for the fix, the window units were installed at a cost of $1500. for the comfort of these guest right before they arrived. I have dated receipts from Home Depot and the installer. We didn't want to strand these guest without air conditioning. Unfortunately the technician we needed for the main air conditioner was off island at the time. It is possible that a musty smell developed during this period without air conditioning.

It is important to note that the housekeeper has been replaced as she left the island that week , which may explain the lack luster cleaning her last week.

The pillows, towels, pots and pans were replaced last November 2016 when we were there. Although we only had 4 guest stays there since our visit, we are replacing the pots and pans again as well as the kitchen linens and pillows. I have shipped new towels twice since then as we ship higher quality towels that are not available locally on the island. When we were there last November the condo was clean and fresh.

The screen door broke while you were there Don and as you must already know it is the responsibility of the condo association since it is outside the condo. It has already been fixed.

We had already scheduled an update of the bathrooms and the kitchen which has already begun and should be finished in May.

Reviewed 2 March 2017

Two parts to the review. First the complex itself. First rate. The pool area is hub of activities. It was always spotlessly clean and clear. The snack bar is the best. Open from 11 to 5 they have sandwiches, wraps, fries, a daily special, and great drinks from almost a full bar. The three different people that manned the stand were all friendly, happy to serve you, as quick as possible, source of info for local info, and just fun people. The beach is small and a little tough to walk because of incline but water is clear, surf is nice, very little rip tide, and very pleasant in general. Never had troubler finding seats around pool but a little harder to secure seating on beach. Everything in complex was very well kept up. Place was built in early 70s but public areas are still in great shape. The only complaint, and this is not resorts fault, is very very very spotty cell coverage with our Verison phones.

As to our three bedroom unit in building I. It was large with a lot of outdoor space. Two balconies and a screened in porch were all very nice but one looking over parking lot was never used. Place was very clean. Beds were comfortable. Air conditioning worked great except nest system kept resetting heat and we could not get it to hold one temp. This is probable sign that people in their 60s need extra tutorial than comment on air conditioning that worked fine. The unit was furnished with everything we needed and more. The only downside to unit were bathrooms. Due to 70s construction the were not as large and spacious as many mere modern bathrooms. They were clean and functional but a little dated in there design.

All in all could not be happier with choice of Gentle Winds.

Room tip: unit I ( as in West Indies) is closest to beach and pool. Hear the surf and short walk to beach and pool.
Date of stay: February 2017