“High highs and Low lows, I'd give it 5 stars and 1 if I could”

The Somerset on Grace Bay
Ranked #6 of 45 Hotels in Providenciales
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York, NY
“High highs and Low lows, I'd give it 5 stars and 1 if I could”
Reviewed 27 December 2011

Let's start out with the positives. This being our third trip to T+C, we kinda know the lay of the land. You can see my reviews of the Villa Renaissance and Seven Stars as reference. The grounds are beautiful and well maintained. We went the week before X-mas and it was deserted, plenty of chairs and mini-shells available on the beach and poolside. The equipment (hobie cats, kayaks, paddleboard, windsurf, snorkel) was available hassle-free and on-demand. The women on the restaurant (O'Soleil) staff were super nice to us and our kids(3, 5yrs). The room a 1BR suite was humongous! Big kitchen, kitted out with Viking everything, every pot/pan/utensil. Washer, dryer, flat screens, the works. Dreamy.

Ok, now what you've been waiting for. First, wireless internet, lies. Didn't work 3/6 days there. Everyday I was told it would be fixed. It wasn't. Then a manager had the nerve to tell me, "I told you we weren't lying" when it worked for half a day. The next day it didn't. Lies or don't care. $750/night is clearly not enough for internet. Second, food is unacceptably slow even for island standards. With no crowd, it took an hour from order to delivery of food for lunch. Third, there's no standard hotel room manual that's got the restaurant menu's check-in, out times, channel guide, etc. You have to hunt stuff down. Amazing. Fourth, its not a great location as its far walk(that we made anyway) from the IGA grocery store and Coco Bistro (see review). Fifth, maybe because it was December, but the pool was cold and not heated. Seven Stars' is heated.

Probably will give a similar class hotel(Veranda, Regent Palms, Regent Grand, Gansevoort) a try before going back to the Somerset.

Oh one more thing, there seems a real lack of good ice cream on the island. We've been to the Island Scoops(across from the mall area, near Saltmills)a few times before, but this time it was expensive and inedible. Avoid at all costs.

Room Tip: The cottage rooms away from the beach are fine, the walk is only one minute over.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
23 Thank TravelorNY

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Vancouver
Reviewed 7 December 2011

A luxury property, great staff and an amazing location.

• Stayed November 2011
New York City, New York
Reviewed 29 November 2011

From my meeting with the hotel rep at the airport to my last day, my five nights at The Somerset on Grace Bay were beyond flawed: the transfer agent asked intrusive and personal questions and messed up my transfer so I was left waiting needlessly; the manager was rude about it when discussed; my room did not match up with the amenities listed on the Hotels.com site or the resort's site; a beach umbrella flew out of a broken stand and landed stake down on my leg injuring me and I now have a large scar; my room's air conditioning broke and they said they "fixed it" without checking to see it was fixed - it wasn't and I had to change rooms at 11 p.m. to an even worse room; toiletries were not replenished despite multiple requests ... and when I discussed with the manager and negotiated a credit for a future stay - presuming this wasn't the norm there - the credit is now not being honored as the management company went bankrupt and the new company "can't find" records and won't accept the email correspondence or signed document provided to me. Hotels.com refused to contact the hotel on my behalf and showed no concern for client service or satisfaction and the hotel did not respond to the call placed by my credit card company about the credit. The elevator broke for more than a day; my room was loud - you could hear people in the connecting suite; tiny room, bad decor - I could go on and on. Do not stay at The Somerset on Grace Bay .... there are nicer places on this island that believe in the vacation experience. Faulty equipment, bad service, not honoring credits - add up to a horrible experience - lost money and lifelong scarred leg!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
14 Thank ManhattanTravelerNo1
Greenwich
Reviewed 27 November 2011

Our family of 5 (19, 21, 23 and 2 older parents) just returned from Provo and a wonderful time spent at the Somerset. Cab pick ups were punctual, last minute dinner reservations were acommodated without problems, rooms and grounds were very clean and the staff were very friendly. New manager on site has things hopping with visionary plans for even more fun in the future! Rooms were beautiful, spacious, modern amenities and best of all - the Somerset was away from the maddening crowds. And if you wanted to check it out, all you had to do was walk about 6 - 8 minutes down the beach to "Beaches" to see why staying at the Somerset was the logical choice. Pool was clean and the Somerset food was mouth watering. We would strongly recommend staying here for the young and older families. Stayed during the Thanksgiving week and the weather was great for 6 days with the exception of 1 day being very windy - unusual for this time of year they say. (NOTE: All rental condos are wonderful I hear and we elected to stay off the beachfront (lower price) since we were always on the beach and near the pool most days anyway.

Room Tip: Stay off the beach as it's cheaper and quieter. The rooms off the beach are only a 30 second wal...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Michael B
Long Island
Reviewed 26 November 2011

On a last minute extra long weekend we did a trip to Grace Bay and stayed at the Somerset "cottage 5" which was really a well laid out multi floor condo. This is a nicely located boutique condo style resort. We liked the fact that on one side there were not tall hotels which made an even quieter beach. You can read about our trip report at tabhauser.com which covered great food and fun things to do. (this is my personal write up and report so you don't need to log in). We recommend a snorkel trip with Ocean Vibes that will pick you upon the beach.

Room Tip: It is really OK if you don't have an ocean view as our cottage 5 was 1 minute walk to the pools...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple