“What a Gem!”

Ranked #31 of 45 Hotels in Providenciales
Ottawa, Canada
“What a Gem!”
Reviewed 25 January 2012

My Wife and I stayed at Sibonne for 4 nights (Jan. 2012), and both give it a 5 star rating! Why anybody would stay somewhere else is beyond us (whether you can afford to or not), as the very best beachfront is in front of Sibonne. Grace Bay is beautiful no matter where you stay, however the beach if widest (and quietest) at Sibonne. Our rooms were clean, and comfortable and only 60 metres to the beach! The other resorts have beautiful construction etc., but a little much for us, both financially and personally. I mean how greedy are we becoming?! Customer service wasn't always the best, and sometimes servers were grumpy and inpersonal, but how different is that from Canada? Bottom line is, if your on a budget, and want the best beach, Sibonne is for you!

Room Tip: Value rooms are all you need here!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Saratoga, California
Reviewed 5 January 2012

We were highly disappointed with our stay at Sibonne. We arrived and checked in at night. When checking in, my husband asked the front office staff where we could get coffee in the morning. She said it was available in the restaurant next door, but failed to mention that continental breakfast was included with our room. The next morning we had breakfast at the Bay Bistro, the restaurant attached to the hotel. They did not ask if we were hotel guests, and we didn't think to tell them we were, so we paid for breakfast. It was only through a coincidental conversation with another guest while chatting on the beach did we discover the information. When I went to the restaurant to discuss it with them, their reply was that they are not connected with the hotel. When I went to the hotel to discuss it with them, their reply was that they were not connected with the restaurant. Neither offered to refund the money.

In addition, although the beach in front of the hotel is supposed to be one of the nicest in Grace Bay, it was one of the most poorly maintained. It was only cleaned 1 of the days we were there. The beach on each side of the Sibonne would be clean, but the beach right in front would be totally littered with ocean debris.

The room itself was nice enough. The corner "ocean view" room is only ocean view if you go out onto the balcony and look the right direction. But the room directly over the office is truly ocean view. I would not stay at Sibonne again.

Room Tip: The corner "ocean view" room is only ocean view if you go out onto the balcony and look th...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank eedive
Brooklyn
Reviewed 28 December 2011

Absent some service problem that we did not experience, I don't understand the rationale for anything less than a 'very good'-level review. It's true that Sibonne doesn't have many amenities. But it is affordable, it has one of the greatest locations on Grace Bay for getting to shopping and to other resorts for eating, it has one of the best restaurants on the island, and I doubt any room is more than 30 seconds from the beach. We only stayed one night, but we would be happy to come back. As long as you read the reviews, and understand and accept what Sibonne does and does not offer, you'll be satisfied and wanting to come back too.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Dont_Stop_Believin
Superior, CO
Reviewed 8 December 2011

I won the prize! My first (and probably) only trip to T&C and I stayed here, and it was ideal. Every other guest we met at the hotel is a (multi) repeat guest -- they all raved about the Sibonne and said they wouldn't stay anyplace else on Provo (the island). During my week there, with admittedly minimal exploring, I could totally see why.

My goal for this trip was to go and have quiet, to do NOTHING (no "cultural" endeavors, no sightseeing, no ziplining, snorkeling, etc.), to meditate, to bodysurf, to follow my own (internal) clock, to hang with my friend (another runaway mommy!). I had done my research, looking for a quiet, small (and I find quiet and small kinda go hand-in-hand), exclusive (as in: NOT all-inclusive -- I'm not interested in subsidizing others' boozing), mostly adult hotel (we never saw a child as a resident of the hotel -- did see children twice eating in the restau, but not staying at the hotel) super-close to a fan-freaking-tastic beach. (I've had it with staying "beachfront" only to have to trek to get to a crowded beach with not-calm water.) **This** is the Sibonne. I think it has ~20 rooms and it is literally right on a perfect stretch of beach: the sand is powder, the water is that astonishing ephemeral blue, warm and perfect for floating. I swanned out of my room in my swimsuit and maybe 40 steps later I was plonked on a chaise, under a palapa, mesmerized by the waves.

It's true: the bulk of the rooms do face one another and the ocean can only be viewed by standing on the balcony and turning one way or the other. Four rooms, 201-204 (I was in 202), have direct water / beach views, and I just got lucky to have one of those rooms (as I hadn't known enough to request it): it was the same price as the other ocean view rooms. As a woman traveling alone I wanted a second floor room for a sense of security (whether real or imagined), and in the rooms, prominently displayed, were signs saying to keep windows / doors closed (for security purposes) and to take care when out past 5pm. We could get no answers / examples as to what had happened, so I slept with my window closed & locked. I'd hoped to hear the ocean, but as another reviewer noted I wouldn't have heard waves because the rooms on either side of mine had their A/C splits on all. the. time. (I never used mine because I didn't need it.) So by being safe I didn't miss the soothing sounds of the waves. Fine.

The people not just at the Sibonne but in shops / restaus in T&C, wait, I think people in T&C have a VERY different idea of customer service, how to interact with customers: it is NOT the North American ideal. At all. I was surprised how surly nearly everyone's behavior was, like, don't they know *we're* going to be buttering their bread? I didn't take it personally, but I was surprised. And a little uncomfortable. With that said, there were some darling locals I met -- a couple (literally a couple) of waitresses at the Bay Bistro were so sweet, and one of the housekeepers at the Sibonne had a beautiful smile and a kind word. These ladies stood out because of their friendliness.

So yeah, there are those things. But I know what my goals were and they were soundly, perfectly met. On our walks up and down the beach, we quickly realized Sibonne is ideally located: its beach is p-e-r-f-e-c-t. It is quiet, it is powdery, it has enough room to allow high tide to come up and not interfere with lounging and walking. (By far the worst beach we saw was at the Grand Regent -- fancy big hotel but holy cow horrible teeny-tiny beach! The beaches up closer to Beaches Resort looked like Cancun in terms of masses of people and chaises.)

Just next to Sibonne is The Sands, and it looked pretty good for a LARGE resort. Their beach was good, not as good as Sibonne's, but better than the others we saw, and The Sands does offer water activities (like Hobie cats). I wasn't in T&C for that, and there were hawkers on the beach looking to see if we were interested in parasailing (nope), snorkeling (nope), etc. But the hawking was definitely minimal as so few people are on the beach in front of the Sibonne.

If you're going for hardcore activity (although that's kind of the antithesis of T&C!) then no, the Sibonne probably isn't for you. But if you're at all like me, a more European ideal of quiet, tranquil, easy, no-kids, minimal booze, then absolutely the Sibonne is for you!

Eating: we did eat dinner at the Bay Bistro a couple of times, at Hemingway's (next door on the beach at The Sands), and at Garam Masala (Indian restau) -- all were good and expensive by N. American standards but totally reasonable by T&C standards. Be prepared for expensive meals! If you walk down the beach to The Sands, walk through its grounds, make a left at the roundabout and walk down that street, you'll come to a shopping area (tourist shops of varying quality and many restaus). Keep walking and then on your right you'll see the Graceway Market (right next to the Scotia Bank) -- it's an excellent supermarket where you can stock up on all sorts of goodies. The rooms at the Sibonne have fridges. That's what we did for our lunches, and truthfully, picnicking on the beach is pretty fabulous!

Room Tip: 201, 202, 203 & 204 have direct views of the ocean. 202 & 203 have adjoining living rooms wi...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
13 Thank June_Boys
Reviewed 7 December 2011

Pros: Very nice affordable hotel. Stayed in one of the "value" rooms and have no complaints. The hotel has a slightly older feel and nice character, not impersonal like some of the large resorts. Right on the beach, and the hotel restaurant (Bay Bistro) had the nicest atmosphere of all the restaurants we tried.

Cons: if you want watersports (sailboats, kayaks) and other activities, this is not the place. We tried to rent a sailboat at neighboring resorts with no success (they only rent to their guests). If you want activities, try one of the resorts.

• Stayed December 2011