“Highlight of our trip to T&C!”
Review of Sun Charters

Sun Charters
Book In Advance
More Info
USD 95.00*
and up
Sail and Snorkel the Caicos Cays on the Good Ship...
Ranked #7 of 103 Tours in Providenciales
More attraction details
Owner description: The S/V ATABEYRA is a 69', traditionally rigged trading schooner that retired from cargo service almost 20 years ago. The vessel traded for years between Hispaniola and the Turks & Caicos Islands carrying such commodities as rum , beer, produce, plants, building materials and even a few critters. The ship has been refit as a charter vessel and now stays close to home in the sheltered waters of Grace Bay and the Caicos Cays of Turks and Caicos Islands. The S/V ATABEYRA is the perfect platform for learning hands on operation of traditional sailing craft, for exploring the exquisite undersea world and many islands that surround us or just lounging on her spacious, shaded decks. No vessel in the TCI charter fleet is as large or as versatile. Sun Charters and the ATABEYRA crew offer our guests a unique opportunity to get real sailing experience aboard the last of the tropical trading schooners. Being a gaff-rigged vessel carrying two headsails, there are lots of lines to pull, many sails to tend, and the skipper will even be happy to let you take the helm. Feel the past come alive as we sail through the uninhabited chain of Caicos Cays the same way it was done hundreds of years ago. The Cays were once the lair of the infamous lady pirates Anne Bonny and Mary Reid, and the waters and surrounding islands remain basically untouched since that time. The Crew of the Good Ship Atabeyra are proud that she is overwhelmingly the boat the residents choose when recreating in the Caicos Cays.
Reviewed 16 October 2018

Capt. Dave, Jr. and Willi(anna) did a great job with our group! We are loud and obnoxious and they rolled with the punches with us! The rum punch was AWESOME. We opted for the lunch, and it was great antipasto! I'm not a snorkeler, but everyone else in the group is and loved going out on the reef. Wouldn't have changed a thing, except a few more applications of sunscreen!

Date of experience: October 2018
in 7 reviews
"highlight of our trip"
in 17 reviews

Reviewed 11 October 2018

Sunset & glow worm tour was incredible - beautiful boat, super friendly stuff and of course a mind blowing sunset.
Glow warm experience was the best part though, stars above you and thousands of tiny starts below you. A truly magical experience. So glad we did it!

1  Thank SoniaK11
Reviewed 10 October 2018

I'm not normally a huge fan of sailing (I get seasick easily), but David and his crew may have changed my mind for good. They were friendly, attentive and showed us the best kept secrets of the island. The boat is impeccably clean and spacious. None of that jerking or seasaw motions that usually scare me away from getting on a boat. We snorkeled, explored remote islands and saw a fair share of exotic wildlife. I had such a great time that I went on a second cruise to watch the glow worms at sunset- what a truly spectacular and gorgeous sight! It was truly something I'll never forget and if I'm ever back this is the only boat I'll book.

Reviewed 10 October 2018

During my trip to Turks I went on two adventures with the Atabeyra. The first excursion was an island hopping/snorkling tour. David and his team are amazing! They took us to the most beautiful spots on the island to snorkle. The water was crystal clear. The staff was beyond friendly with lots of helpful tips.

The second excursion was a sunset cruise. This is one of my favorite things I have ever done. Seeing the sunset while on the ocean was beautiful beyond words. The sky was a hundred colors. Looked like a Bob Ross painting. After it got dark, the sky was full of stars and we could even see Mars. We also saw glow worms light up the ocean. This was a first class unforgettable experience. I highly recommend both excursions with the Atabeyra!

1  Thank Shila L
See more reviews
Reviewed 10 October 2018

As a frequent visitor to the islands, I ALWAYS book a sail with the Atabeyra! David is an amazing host who is full of knowledge about the islands. The sunset sails on Friday nights are super fun. Booking a day snorkeling trip is a great way to see other Caicos islands. But, should you be on island for the glow worm tour, DO NOT MISS IT. Watch the sun set over the water, and then star gaze. Next, watch as the sea lights up for a few brief moments with glow worm stars. My friends and I were amazed....its truly a mesmerizing experience! Thanks David!