All reviews minute walk grocery store grace bay club continental breakfast within walking distance chose villa full kitchen hot tub deluxe studio graceway gourmet beach access washer and dryer beach attendants coco bistro banana bread directly across the street beach service
Reviewed 14 December 2012

This was a surprise for my wifes birthday and we could not have been any more pleased.

We've travelled in the past to many Caribbean locations including Aruba, St Maarten, Jamaica and Antigua but this would now be our number #1 spot.
The Villa del Mar was extremely clean and the staff very pleasant. The continental breakfast is your typical cereal, toast, pastries, orange juice and coffee. Adequate enough to hold you to lunch and get you to the beach early, because that's where you want to be.

Grace Bay, Providenciales has the best beach we have every seen. The powdery sand is clean of any debris and you can walk and walk until you can't go any further. The water has no stones, pebbles or seaweed and the bright turquoise Carribean sea was calm all the time we were there. There is no issue getting a lounge chair with umbrella and towels are provided at the beach.

There is no restaurant at VDM but there is lots within walking distance. Be sure to make reservations in advance and go to the Coco Bistro (closed Mondays) for a unique dining experience outside under the palm trees. Expensive but GREAT FOOD!!

In the deluxe suite there is a fridge and microwave as well as a few barbecues available on the grounds. The larger one bedroom units have a stove. There is a grocery store within easy walking distance with a great deli counter, fresh fruit & vegatables, wine, beer and alcohol.
The rooms are nicely furnished, king size bed extremely comfortable, the AC worked great and can be adjusted by remote. This would be rated a 5 star if it had a restaurant and entertainment.

The VDM is not a beachfront complex but the walk to the beach is less than we have had at actual beachfront locations. The pool is not large but neither is the complex. At times we were the only ones in or around the pool. The temperature of the pool is very warm and the lounges extremely comfortable.

We can't wait for our next trip to Villa del Mar and the Turks and Caicos Islands.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Holidays2093
Reviewed 6 December 2012

We stayed at Villa del Mar in November for our honeymoon. The location is great. We rented bicycles for a few days but mostly walked to the places we wanted to go. The continental breakfast was adequate. The pool and hot tub were pleasant. The umbrellas and chairs on the beach are good. The kitchen in our 1-bdr with den was well-equipped and the room was very clean with modern furniture and an amazingly comfy bed. The staff was very nice - informative, if you asked a question, but not intrusive. We had a nice time talking to Alan, the manager, during the weekly rum punch cocktail reception. They have plans for an expansion and adding a restaurant but right now its a perfectly-situated, sleepy (in a good way), condo-tel. An important note for us, we had a good, consistent wireless Internet connection. If we return to Turks and Caicos, we will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Having a full kitchen in the 1bdr with den was great. We went to the nearby grocery store (Graceway Gourmet) and made breakfast and lunch room. The studios only have an efficiency.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kimmy M
Reviewed 4 December 2012

Just spent 7 nights at the Villa del Mar - this place is simply awesome! It's not right on the beach but it's only about a 2-minute walk to the beach. The gardeners keep the grounds in excellent condition and the pool is child-friendly. Rooms are well furnished with good quality furniture and kitchenware – the beds are so comfy!!
The staff were friendly and very helpful! The housekeeping staff did an awesome job of cleaning our rooms everyday – we were a large family with children! There are two good quality barbecues that you could use, located in the pool area near the bar. The Graceway Gourmet supermarket is about a 15-minute walk and you feel totally safe walking outside the resort. They are well stocked, but on the pricey side. The Caicos Bakery, run by a friendly and polite lady, has some wonderful pastries, quiche, éclairs, breads etc. and is located about a 10-min walk from VDM. They sell out pretty fast, so try and get there early. VDM serves some of these pastries for breakfast – loved the chocolate croissants! There is no restaurant at VDM, but lots of good restaurants within walking distance.
Service on the beach was impeccable! The friendly twins Lerone and Kerone are just superb! They set us up with beach towels, loungers and cold water and even brought out beach toys for our children. Also, they will even bring you a drink or meal from the nearby café. They have sufficient lounge chairs – so you don’t have to scramble every morning to reserve one.
We rented a van for a day from Grace Bay Rentals and visited Taylor Bay - great for the kids! Some streets have no street signs, this can be a challenge but you eventually find your way – it is a small island!
VDM, we will be back!!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank lpwm
Reviewed 3 December 2012

A great place for families! The rooms were beautiful, comparable to some 5 star resorts I've stayed at in the past. The staff were friendly and extremely helpful. The location was the best part. Depending on which direction you went a quick walk would get you to the beach, tiki bar, swimming pool, grocery store, bakery, restaurants etc.
I usually never go back to the same place twice because I like to explore new places but this is one place I wouldn't mind coming back to again and again.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank M_squared3
Reviewed 3 December 2012

My best friend and I spent a week at Villa Del Mar mid-July and it was definitely the right choice. We booked a deluxe studio room through Val at turksandcaicosreservations.com, where we received great service and a great deal on the room.

Room and Grounds

The room was accurately depicted on the website, and was spacious and comfortable. Housekeeping did a great job, and the room was always clean by the time we came back from the beach. One minor issue was that you can see the porch light shining through the shuttered wall between the bathroom and the sleeping area, so sleep quality was not that great for me. The property was beautifully landscaped and well kept.

Staff

What really added to our stay was the staff. The office staff were polite and helpful, and the housekeeping and groundskeeping staff were pleasant. Lerone and Kerone, the beach attendants, were so sweet and welcoming. I enjoyed chatting with them daily. Captain Bill, the bartender, had a way about him that makes you feel like you have known him forever. I do wish the poolside bar would stay open later, as my friend and I truly enjoyed our conversations with Bill, though by the time we would get out to the bar after dinner, it would be close to closing time. I was also impressed that Alan, the manager, was out interacting with the guests. The staff members are a definite asset to this place.

Although there wasn't a restaurant on site, there are many dining choices within walking distance. Following is a list of the places we tried:

* Seaside Cafe at Ocean Club West: Reasonably priced, had great burgers and fries. I loved their avocado dressing.

* Rickey's Flamingo: About a 15 minute walk east on beach. I had read rave reviews about their curried grouper from Trip Advisor, but it wasn't on the menu. I asked if I could order it and they happily obliged. It was my favorite meal of the trip. The chicken quesadilla was very tasty. Prices reasonable as well.

* Caicos Cafe: Overall the food was solid, with the goat cheese tart being amazing.

* The Patty Place: Inexpensive tasty meal, good ice cream, friendly staff.

* Upstairs: The eggplant and sundried tomato pizza was delicious.

* Graceway Gourmet: About a 10 minute walk and had a great deli with several options. Look at the board on the wall to the right of the deli counter as it had daily specials listed. There was also a fresh salad bar and inexpensive cold canned soda.

Car Rental and Exploring

We rented a car for one day from Grace Bay Car Rental. The process was so easy, as they dropped off and picked up the car at VDM. The steering wheel was on the right which was initially awkward, but we actually found this made it easier to drive on the left side of the road. The roads were overall easy to navigate, although a couple of streets didn't have signs. We had to pull over once to figure out what we did wrong, and immediately a local pulled over and offered assistance. Driving around the island was the highlight of the trip. I had stayed at Beaches on Provo once before, but had only left the resort once to do an excursion. I am so glad I read the Providenciales travel forum before this trip. I HIGHLY recommend doing so, as the forum is a wealth of information, and gave me the confidence to get out and explore the island. Because of the forum we discovered Turtle Tail, which just took my breath away. We also drove out to Chalk Sound, another incredibly beautiful area. We ate lunch at Las Brisas that sits on Chalk Sound, where I had a great pork sandwich. Las Brisas is closed on Tuesdays, so keep that in mind if planning to eat there.

Overall Impression of Providenciales and VDM

Even though we were traveling without our husbands on this trip, my best friend and I felt completely safe at VDM, walking to restaurants, and driving around the island. I have read some reviews where people have commented that the locals are rude, unfriendly, etc. We just didn't find this to be the case. Overall I would consider many of the locals reserved, but more than willing to engage in conversation if you genuinely want to talk with them. We felt welcome and comfortable wherever we went. After this trip, I have to say that Providenciales is my favorite island. Even though the island itself isn't lush or very tropical feeling, the combination of drop dead gorgeous water, miles of soft sand beaches for strolls, and just an overall laid back atmosphere make this a place I will return to again and again.

Staying at VDM was a great choice for us and I highly recommend staying there as long as you have realistic expectations. It doesn't sit beachfront, and there may not be a restaurant on site, endless activities, or other five star resort amenities. However, what you do get is a nicely decorated and clean room, an efficient, pleasant staff, a beautiful beach just a couple of minutes walk away, a place to lie on the beach without the hassle of rising at the crack of dawn to obtain a spot, and just an overall pleasing and relaxing atmosphere. The value of this resort, especially if you get an off-season special, can't be beat. As a matter of fact, I just booked VDM for next May and cannot wait to return.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends