All reviews minute walk grocery store grace bay club continental breakfast within walking distance chose villa full kitchen hot tub deluxe studio graceway gourmet beach access washer and dryer beach attendants coco bistro banana bread directly across the street beach service
Reviewed 11 March 2012

We stayed 6 nights from Jan. 30-Feb.5 and had a wonderful time. It's not far from the airport, so it's an easy drive/ride both ways. Also, it isn't on the beach, thus you don't have to pay beachfront prices. But, it is a very short walk to the beach. Actually, you're closer to the beach staying here than staying at a bigger resort but getting a room at the back of the resort. The breakfasts were delicious. They provide pastries from the bakery down the street, or at least they did when we were there. There's fresh fruit, juices, coffee, tea, bagels, cereal, etc. The best part is that you can enjoy it in your own room.
Also, the resort is in a great location. If you walk to the beach and turn left, there are lots of restaurants and shops. But further on down, it gets crowded with lots of other resorts so I wouldn't want to stay down by Beaches All-Inclusive or Windsong. The beach down that way is more narrow, and more crowded. If you go to the beach and turn right, there are only a few more resorts and then almost deserted beach. We walked for hours, and encountered very few people so we felt like we had the beach to ourselves. And this was in high season. I imagine in low season, you might not see anyone on that end of the beach.
There are lots of restaurant options near the resort. Some are very highly ranked. We really liked Coco Cafe, and it is just a few minutes walk away. We heard Coco Bistro is also good, but we couldn't get in because there were always booked.
The room was very comfortable. Bed was good. Resort is in a great location. No hesitation about recommending it to anyone! We'd stay at Villa del Mar again without a second thought.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TropicGirl55
Reviewed 10 March 2012

The staff, the facility and the location were everything we wished to find.

Room Tip: We loved the ground floor in teh middle building exiting right to the pool area.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 March 2012

We just arrived home from our one week stay at Villa del Mar (Feb 28-Mar 6), this was me and my boyfriends first trip to the TCI. I was so happy to choose Villa del Mar as our hotel, which I chose after reading many wonderful reviews!! As soon as we arrived we were greeted by a friendly smile and some of the local rum punch(Great touch(!! All the grounds were clean and well landscaped. We chose a one bedroom with a den which was beautiful, better than all the pictures I had seen. We loved having a full kitchen, it was perfectly stocked with all the utensils we needed. We went to the local grocery store and bought eggs, meat, ect., which I warn you is extremely over priced because most of it is imported (believe it or not the locals pay the same prices!) We took a lot of snack stuff with us which came in handy while we were at the beach! Our room was on the third floor so it was super quiet and private with a great view of the pool. The beach was literally 5 minutes from our room. And as for the beach it was the most beautiful beach I've ever seen in my life!! The water is so aqua and clear...Heaven on earth!! Its truly a sight to see!!! The hotel has its own beach area with lounge chairs and umbrellas. The twin beach attendants Kerone and Lerone were so friendly, everyday they had smiles on their faces. They were so helpful to arrange water activities for us, bring lunch right to our beach chairs, and bring me my favorite strawberry/banana daquiri!! We absolutely loved the beach! We were there at least 5 hours everyday..lol Make sure to bring lots and lots of sun block! I learned my lesson one day when I got very sun burnt. The bartender on grounds was actually very helpful and went and cut some fresh aloe to help my sun burn (Don't listen to thyme8 she went out of her way to help me out!!) The internet connection was always great for us in the room....we were on vacation didnt need to really pay attention to getting on the net, it was relaxing time!! Villa del Mar truly over exceeded our expectations!! We cant wait to go back!! Don't over spend at the beach front properties when VDM is only a few step from heaven!! Thank you VDM!! :-)

Things you definitely have to do!
SNUBA- we had so much fun swimming with the fish! Since we don't have our scuba certification yet it was a perfect introduction! Jody was great!!

Island Vibes Boat Tour- This was an amazing 4 hour trip!! We got to snorkel, visit Iguana Island(which is the most amazing beach we saw on the island), See Conch caught and made into fresh ceviche and dive 15 feet off the top of the boat!! Ask for Captain Spike he was awesome!!

Parasail- This was our first time parasailing...it was amazing, definitely a must do it your into adventure!!

Room Tip: The one bedroom with the full kitchen comes in handy
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Yoleeb
Reviewed 4 March 2012

I agree with most of all the other reviews on this site. That’s why I booked this hotel. It had excellent reviews and it deserves them. It’s a beautiful property, with clean rooms, friendly staff and a perfect location. This hotel could be a top tier if a few things were addressed. These things were annoyances on our trip, but not enough for me to tell someone not to stay at VDM. These are things that I think are helpful to know and perhaps VDM can make some changes to address them.

Breakfast is adequate. But the attendant during our trip was either absent from her station, or on the phone the whole time. Many guests complained to each other that there was no one there to offer help. In addition, the supplies would run low and she wouldn’t refill them. Breakfast went from 7:30-9:30. We went at 7:32 one morning due to an early excursion and she said she wasn’t open yet. By 9:00am, many items are out of stock and she’s nowhere to be found to replenish. Tip: Go to breakfast around 8-8:30. She’ll definitely be open by then. She still won’t be available to help you, but at least stock shouldn’t be too low.

Treadmill still isn’t working. Gym is tiny, but adequate, if the treadmill worked. You can see from past reviews that the treadmill has been down for months. The gym only has 3-4 pieces of equipment, which again is adequate, if all three were working.

Internet connection is terrible. The staff at the desk helps you on the phone, but it’s not reliable and frankly, it’s annoying in this day and age to have to call so many times to get the thing working. There is a laptop in the lobby that is available for anyone to use and has a reliable connection.

The rooms were definitely clean, but not “deep clean.” Two areas stood out that could have been better. 1. The deck. They never swept the deck during our entire stay and they didn’t clean the glass on the sliding door. So the handprint that was there on day 2, was still there on day 9. We had enough sand on the deck to fill a small sandbox. 2. They didn’t clean the shower stall. I know this because a bit of shampoo was spilled and clearly visible on the floor of the shower. It was still there day after day. It just surprised me that a hotel of this caliber didn’t clean those two areas. But all other areas of the room were clean. The maid did the dishes each day, made beds, refreshed towels, etc.

There are a lot of beach toys available at the VDM desk at the hotel. I called the hotel before we left to check on certain things. Beach supplies were something I asked about. They said they didn’t offer those. Wrong. They have dozens of toys and boogies boards available.

They often run out of pool towels. When you see them out and folded, grab some so you won’t be without any later when they run out.

Tip! Bring salt, pepper, mustard, ketchup packets from home. The unit is stocked with the cookware and plates, but nothing else. No replenishable supplies at all in the kitchen. They do give you two small things of laundry soap. The washer/dryer is stackable. It does a large load in about 30 minutes. Another tip, bring handled grocery bags. The grocery story is an easy walk, but it’s hard to walk back holding your items with the slippery plastic bags they give you. Throw a handled bag or two into your luggage, then it’s an easy walk back with your groceries.

A few great things: cocktail party with the managers on Wednesday night, pool staff keeps the grounds gorgeous and clean, security staff visible at night, lots of hangers in the closet (30+), the fact that they offer breakfast at all. Many hotels don’t.

Room Tip: 1st floor rooms open right onto the pool. Very convenient to keep the interior door locked and go in/out of slider door to the pool. But also those rooms are a bit of a security risk in that everyone walks right past your slider door. 2nd and 3rd floors are more private, then a walk down to the pool.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
8  Thank Thyme8
villadelmarGM, Director of Development and Operations at Villa del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2012

Dear valued Guest:
Thank you for taking the time to contact us regarding you recent stay. We always appreciate any information that can help fine tune our operations and maintain our superior service our guests expect and receive. I would like to offer our apologies regarding the internet service during your stay. We were undergoing a major upgrade to our service and had informed our guests that the the internet service would be slow during the professional overview and upgrade. We are pleased to inform you that the glitch has been resolved with excellent results. We receive many compliments regarding our delux breakfast bar and the service offered. I discussed your concerns with our breakfast bar associate. Regarding our treadmill, parts are not available on island and it took 2.5 weeks to reciece the parts and repair the machine, not months.
Again, we greatly appreciate all the comments and reviews of our past guests and value your business. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to the beautiful Turks and Caicos Islands.

Alan M. Lawley
Director of Development & Operations
alan@yourvilladelmar.com
1-877-238-4058

Reviewed 27 February 2012

Booked this hotel based on the reviews from Tripadvisor. It was a great choice. Close by to airport about a 15 mintue ride.
Hotel is located across the street from the ocean, only a 2 minute walk to the white sand!
Rooms are very nice and spacious. Rented a room with a kitchenette which was perfect for our stay. Hotel is in walking distance to the market and was able to get things for breakfast and lunch and the refrigerator, microwave and toaster was a big help.
Bathroom was big as well, the balcony was a good size with a table and chairs. It overlooked the pool area.
This is a small boutique hotel with a great swimming pool area and grounds. It is in walking distance to a lot of restaurants. We did rent a car for about $30/day. Taking taxis is about that each trip so it is well worth it and you are able to see more of the island that way. It was a bit windy on our visit and being able to drive to the other side of the island where there is less wind on the beach, was great.
I would highly recommend this hotel and be back to visit the VDM again.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple