“Wonderful family vacation!”
Review of Villa del Mar

Villa del Mar
Ranked #20 of 44 Hotels in Providenciales
Reviewed 12 March 2012

We stayed at the Villa del Mar from Feb 6-13, 2012, flew direct from Toronto.

My husband and I travelled with our 10 month old son and my parents. We rented a 2 bedroom condo (I believe it was A101) and it was perfect. It was in the building furthest from the reception, it was on the ground floor by the smaller (baby) pool. We loved being on the ground floor because we could be outside enjoying the pool/heat while the baby was sleeping (and we watched the monitor) and it was lovely to walk over to the breakfast bar, grab food and come back to eat on our verandah and not have to climb stairs or go up an elevator. When we arrived, the hotel was not very full and for a few days, we were the only people by the baby pool which was perfect for our son who loved it. By mid-week, the hotel was filling up and by the time we left, the pool area was full of people and it was hard to get a lounger. I preferred being there when it wasn't so busy. The pool was heated to a perfect temperature for kids but it wasn't super refreshing if you were too hot, but I prefer warm pools to cold ones. And the smaller pool is very shallow so babies/kids can sit in the shallow end and play (supervised of course) and then it gets a little deeper but adults can touch. I didn't even go into the larger pool but it looked lovely also.

The best thing about Villa del Mar is that it is so much less expensive than the condos across the road (on the beach) but it's just as nice (if not nicer, it has a boutique hotel feel) and it is about a 3 min walk to the beach. I have stayed in resorts on the beach where our building was further away from the beach and more expensive.

Room:
Our condo was lovely. It looked exactly as pictured on the website. We decided to rent a condo instead of an all inclusive because we wanted to be able to buy fresh groceries and have access to a full kitchen to make baby food and keep baby food, bottles, etc in the fridge. It also helped out with the cost of food, we would eat the hotel breakfast (cereal, bagels, we don't eat much more at home but we did buy our own milk because their milk was not cold enough for me) and then we would eat lunch in the condo (sandwiches, pasta, salad, etc) and then go out for dinners. The beds were very comfortable, the king bed in the master bedroom was so comfy, I didn't want to get out in the morning.

Things we brought from home which were helpful: ziploc bags, saran wrap and aluminum foil, garbage bags and tape, (for taping to the window in the bedroom to darken the room), bounce sheets and baby detergent for the washer.

Our only complaint about the room was that our dishwasher was not working so they sent someone in to look at it/fix it. When they came around, the baby was sleeping and I didn't want them making lots of noise so asked them to come back. This was not received well. Eventually they had to come back 2x on 2 different days and spent hours trying to fix the dishwasher (and these were 2 guys who did not work at the hotel but were outside contractors) and there was 1 hotel worker watching over them but we didn't feel comfortable leaving our room with all our valuables there until they were done their job and we wanted to get out to the beach, etc and we had to wait for them to get this done. I was pretty annoyed and told the front desk staff but they said that there should be a hotel worker with them (he would come in and out sometimes) so I was pretty annoyed. The front desk staff thought that it was okay for us to leave our room but we just didn't feel comfortable. When you're only on vacation for 7 days, having to put your relaxing time on hold for a few hours for 2 days, just isn't ideal. And when I would ask them how long it would take because we wanted to get on with our day, I got major attitude from the workers (not the hotel worker) but I found it very annoying. I would have preferred to just wash our dishes than waste our time waiting for them to finish.

Property: The hotel itself is very clean and the pools are lovely. It it not a huge property but that is what we loved about it. It was quaint and everyone (staff and guests) were very friendly.

Staff:
The staff at Villa del Mar were very friendly and couldn't do enough to help you. We needed a crib for our son and the crib would not fit into the master bedroom and we did not want him to sleep in the 2nd bedroom because it was very close to the kitchen and we were afraid he'd wake during naps/nighttime when we were in the living room/kitchen. So someone came and took the crib apart and put it back together for us inside the bedroom. The crib is very sturdy but the mattress did not fit the length of the crib so they had rolled towels and stuffed them at the end and put the mattress cover over that. This wasn't a huge issue for us because our baby doesn't roll around too much at night (at the time!) but if your baby does move around a lot, I would be worried that they could get stuck by the towels. We also brought breathable bumpers from home which were perfect. In order to fit the crib into the master bedroom (the rooms are a good size but add a crib in there and they're cramped), we had to move the TV into 1 of the closets and move the crib right up against the 1 closet (we didn't really need access to it because the other closet was enough for our stuff) and we used the TV stand to set up the baby monitor to see into the crib. Also note, the shutters do not darken the room enough for our son, so we brought garbage bags and tape with us and taped up garbage bags to cover the window which kept the room dark for nap times.

The front desk staff were always friendly and lovely, helping us with restaurants, excursions, etc.

The cleaning stuff were great, there were 3 ladies that came in and zipped through the condo in no time. They provided us with lots of towels and even folded our clothes that were strewn all around.

We did meet the general manager a few times who was always friendly and ensured he spoke to us and got to know us. He knew Toronto/Canada very well which was lovely. We were also told on our check-out that return guests save 15% I believe which is really nice, it doesn't quite cover the 21% tax/service fee but it helps. Some of the staff climbed a coconut tree before dinner and broke open a few coconuts so we could try the milk. It was lovely.

Location:
The property is not "on the beach" but it is close enough and the path to get to the beach is lovely and only a few mins walk. We spent a lot of time by the pool with the baby but when we wanted to go to the beach, it was not a chore at all. The hotel is also not far from the restaurants/shops.

Our favorite restaurant to eat dinner at was the Seaside Cafe. It was just down the road at the Ocean Club Resort (also accessible from the beach) and it was lovely to be able to sit on the patio overlooking the ocean watching the sunset at night. The food was great, the service was amazing, our waitress (who I can't remember her name now!?) remembered us every time we went (which ended up being a lot), she knew I had to heat up baby food and would always ensure that my baby was well taken care of. We kept going back time and again because it was hard to find other restaurants on the beach that weren't very expensive. There are lots of nice restaurants in town but we wanted to see the beach and this place was perfect.

We did try a few other restaurants in the area, we went to the Irish Pub (Danny Buoys) by the shops, very good food and I believe it was on a Wednesday night they had some live music which was very nice (not too loud for the baby) and we sat outside (just watch for mosquitos!)

We also had a date night (my parents watched the baby) and went to the Grill Rouge at the Grace Bay Club for their buffet (my parents tried Anacaona another night) and while they were both expensive, the food was amazing and the atmosphere couldn't be beat.

The IGA that is within walking distance to the hotel is really all you need. We rented a car for a few days and drove to the IGA near the airport because we were told that the prices/selection was better and while the prices may have been a bit cheaper and the selection was better, for the cost of gas/time, I think the closer IGA was perfect.

Island:
The beach is beautiful but the island itself does not have much to do, in our opinion, based on our travels around the Caribbean. There are lots of beaches but not a lot of activities with babies, I didn't find anyways.

There is the conch farm which is very rustic but very interesting to see, I would definitely suggest going here. We went snorkeling which was amazing (diving is supposed to be great too), we drove to a small beach on the south shore (Sapodilla Bay) which is lovely but we didn't have any shade with us for the baby so we didn't stay long (someone should rent beach umbrellas there, they'd make some $$).

We tried to find Cheshire Hall which is supposed to be a historical site of a cotton plantation (in ruins) and the map was either NOT correct or the ruins were hiding somewhere. We drove around for awhile and I am very good with maps/directions and we could not find it anywhere and ended up on some very rugged back roads which were a little scary.

We also did the semi-submarine tour which was interesting, you go into the belly of a ship with glass all around and tour the reef, it was not ideal for my mother and I who felt "seasick" for most of it and my husband and I saw more when we were snorkeling, but it was good for people who don't snorkel/dive (and for kids).

Overall, we had a lovely vacation, a week was just not long enough. If we ever do return to Turks and Caicos, I can see us staying at the Villa del Mar again. However, when our children do get bigger, we would think about the Beaches resort since there are so many more things for kids to do. I think that this resort is perfect for families with small children/infants and for older couples. If you're looking to "party", this hotel isn't for you.

Room Tip: Rooms on the ground floor are ideal for families with infants/children who nap because you can still...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank KatfromTO

Reviewed 11 March 2012

We stayed 6 nights from Jan. 30-Feb.5 and had a wonderful time. It's not far from the airport, so it's an easy drive/ride both ways. Also, it isn't on the beach, thus you don't have to pay beachfront prices. But, it is a very short walk to the beach. Actually, you're closer to the beach staying here than staying at a bigger resort but getting a room at the back of the resort. The breakfasts were delicious. They provide pastries from the bakery down the street, or at least they did when we were there. There's fresh fruit, juices, coffee, tea, bagels, cereal, etc. The best part is that you can enjoy it in your own room.
Also, the resort is in a great location. If you walk to the beach and turn left, there are lots of restaurants and shops. But further on down, it gets crowded with lots of other resorts so I wouldn't want to stay down by Beaches All-Inclusive or Windsong. The beach down that way is more narrow, and more crowded. If you go to the beach and turn right, there are only a few more resorts and then almost deserted beach. We walked for hours, and encountered very few people so we felt like we had the beach to ourselves. And this was in high season. I imagine in low season, you might not see anyone on that end of the beach.
There are lots of restaurant options near the resort. Some are very highly ranked. We really liked Coco Cafe, and it is just a few minutes walk away. We heard Coco Bistro is also good, but we couldn't get in because there were always booked.
The room was very comfortable. Bed was good. Resort is in a great location. No hesitation about recommending it to anyone! We'd stay at Villa del Mar again without a second thought.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TropicGirl55
Reviewed 10 March 2012

The staff, the facility and the location were everything we wished to find.

Room Tip: We loved the ground floor in teh middle building exiting right to the pool area.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 March 2012

We just arrived home from our one week stay at Villa del Mar (Feb 28-Mar 6), this was me and my boyfriends first trip to the TCI. I was so happy to choose Villa del Mar as our hotel, which I chose after reading many wonderful reviews!! As soon as we arrived we were greeted by a friendly smile and some of the local rum punch(Great touch(!! All the grounds were clean and well landscaped. We chose a one bedroom with a den which was beautiful, better than all the pictures I had seen. We loved having a full kitchen, it was perfectly stocked with all the utensils we needed. We went to the local grocery store and bought eggs, meat, ect., which I warn you is extremely over priced because most of it is imported (believe it or not the locals pay the same prices!) We took a lot of snack stuff with us which came in handy while we were at the beach! Our room was on the third floor so it was super quiet and private with a great view of the pool. The beach was literally 5 minutes from our room. And as for the beach it was the most beautiful beach I've ever seen in my life!! The water is so aqua and clear...Heaven on earth!! Its truly a sight to see!!! The hotel has its own beach area with lounge chairs and umbrellas. The twin beach attendants Kerone and Lerone were so friendly, everyday they had smiles on their faces. They were so helpful to arrange water activities for us, bring lunch right to our beach chairs, and bring me my favorite strawberry/banana daquiri!! We absolutely loved the beach! We were there at least 5 hours everyday..lol Make sure to bring lots and lots of sun block! I learned my lesson one day when I got very sun burnt. The bartender on grounds was actually very helpful and went and cut some fresh aloe to help my sun burn (Don't listen to thyme8 she went out of her way to help me out!!) The internet connection was always great for us in the room....we were on vacation didnt need to really pay attention to getting on the net, it was relaxing time!! Villa del Mar truly over exceeded our expectations!! We cant wait to go back!! Don't over spend at the beach front properties when VDM is only a few step from heaven!! Thank you VDM!! :-)

Things you definitely have to do!
SNUBA- we had so much fun swimming with the fish! Since we don't have our scuba certification yet it was a perfect introduction! Jody was great!!

Island Vibes Boat Tour- This was an amazing 4 hour trip!! We got to snorkel, visit Iguana Island(which is the most amazing beach we saw on the island), See Conch caught and made into fresh ceviche and dive 15 feet off the top of the boat!! Ask for Captain Spike he was awesome!!

Parasail- This was our first time parasailing...it was amazing, definitely a must do it your into adventure!!

Room Tip: The one bedroom with the full kitchen comes in handy
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Yoleeb
Reviewed 4 March 2012

I agree with most of all the other reviews on this site. That’s why I booked this hotel. It had excellent reviews and it deserves them. It’s a beautiful property, with clean rooms, friendly staff and a perfect location. This hotel could be a top tier if a few things were addressed. These things were annoyances on our trip, but not enough for me to tell someone not to stay at VDM. These are things that I think are helpful to know and perhaps VDM can make some changes to address them.

Breakfast is adequate. But the attendant during our trip was either absent from her station, or on the phone the whole time. Many guests complained to each other that there was no one there to offer help. In addition, the supplies would run low and she wouldn’t refill them. Breakfast went from 7:30-9:30. We went at 7:32 one morning due to an early excursion and she said she wasn’t open yet. By 9:00am, many items are out of stock and she’s nowhere to be found to replenish. Tip: Go to breakfast around 8-8:30. She’ll definitely be open by then. She still won’t be available to help you, but at least stock shouldn’t be too low.

Treadmill still isn’t working. Gym is tiny, but adequate, if the treadmill worked. You can see from past reviews that the treadmill has been down for months. The gym only has 3-4 pieces of equipment, which again is adequate, if all three were working.

Internet connection is terrible. The staff at the desk helps you on the phone, but it’s not reliable and frankly, it’s annoying in this day and age to have to call so many times to get the thing working. There is a laptop in the lobby that is available for anyone to use and has a reliable connection.

The rooms were definitely clean, but not “deep clean.” Two areas stood out that could have been better. 1. The deck. They never swept the deck during our entire stay and they didn’t clean the glass on the sliding door. So the handprint that was there on day 2, was still there on day 9. We had enough sand on the deck to fill a small sandbox. 2. They didn’t clean the shower stall. I know this because a bit of shampoo was spilled and clearly visible on the floor of the shower. It was still there day after day. It just surprised me that a hotel of this caliber didn’t clean those two areas. But all other areas of the room were clean. The maid did the dishes each day, made beds, refreshed towels, etc.

There are a lot of beach toys available at the VDM desk at the hotel. I called the hotel before we left to check on certain things. Beach supplies were something I asked about. They said they didn’t offer those. Wrong. They have dozens of toys and boogies boards available.

They often run out of pool towels. When you see them out and folded, grab some so you won’t be without any later when they run out.

Tip! Bring salt, pepper, mustard, ketchup packets from home. The unit is stocked with the cookware and plates, but nothing else. No replenishable supplies at all in the kitchen. They do give you two small things of laundry soap. The washer/dryer is stackable. It does a large load in about 30 minutes. Another tip, bring handled grocery bags. The grocery story is an easy walk, but it’s hard to walk back holding your items with the slippery plastic bags they give you. Throw a handled bag or two into your luggage, then it’s an easy walk back with your groceries.

A few great things: cocktail party with the managers on Wednesday night, pool staff keeps the grounds gorgeous and clean, security staff visible at night, lots of hangers in the closet (30+), the fact that they offer breakfast at all. Many hotels don’t.

Room Tip: 1st floor rooms open right onto the pool. Very convenient to keep the interior door locked and go i...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
8  Thank Thyme8
villadelmarGM, Director of Development and Operations at Villa del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2012

Dear valued Guest:
Thank you for taking the time to contact us regarding you recent stay. We always appreciate any information that can help fine tune our operations and maintain our superior service our guests expect and receive. I would like to offer our apologies regarding the internet service during your stay. We were undergoing a major upgrade to our service and had informed our guests that the the internet service would be slow during the professional overview and upgrade. We are pleased to inform you that the glitch has been resolved with excellent results. We receive many compliments regarding our delux breakfast bar and the service offered. I discussed your concerns with our breakfast bar associate. Regarding our treadmill, parts are not available on island and it took 2.5 weeks to reciece the parts and repair the machine, not months.
Again, we greatly appreciate all the comments and reviews of our past guests and value your business. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to the beautiful Turks and Caicos Islands.

Alan M. Lawley