All reviews minute walk grocery store grace bay club continental breakfast within walking distance chose villa full kitchen hot tub deluxe studio graceway gourmet beach access washer and dryer beach attendants coco bistro banana bread directly across the street beach service
Reviewed 23 January 2012

My husband and I stayed here having already stayed on Provo for the previous week. We decided that we would wait and book once we had an opportunity to have a look at the hotel in person. The Villa del Mar was already on my shortlist having read the reviews here. Do not let the fact that it is not directly on the beach put you off, it is a very short walk and unless you are wedded to a sea view then this is the best option. The price is far more reasonable than you would pay for similar accomodation a stones throw away on the beach. I actually dislike the fact that Grace Bay has been dominated by some very large resorts, the Villa del Mar has a lovely boutique feel but the rooms are equally luxurious. We stayed in a studio which was perfectly large enough for the both of us, and had a small kitchen where we could prepare light meals. The photos on the website are an accurate representation of the hotel. We also found the breakfast provided in the morning more than adequate and we could enjoy this from our balcony overlooking the pool. We would definately return here if we head back to Provo.

Room Tip: Studios are more than adequate for a couple.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank KimOFarrell
Reviewed 15 January 2012

My girlfriend and I just returned from a 1 week stay at Villa del Mar; we loved Turks and Caicos and would stay here again without hesitation. First thing to note - this in NOT beachfront, you have to walk across the street. Considering the price difference, the 30 second walk was easily worth it. Having said that, we had a partial ocean view, while there are rooms at Ocean Club West or Grace Bay (across the street) without ocean views. We stayed in a studio - it was a decent size, huge balcony, small bar fridge, sink, microwave and laundry. There are two pool areas and a hot tub, with chairs, towels, etc. There is an exercise room, but that seems silly when you can walk along the beach or go for a swim.

The front desk service was excellent. We had two minor problems that they handled promptly and courteously. We were not thrilled with the service at breakfast however. Every morning the lady who set it up forgot things (literally every morning). On one occasion, she was texting on her phone when I politely asked her to plug in the toaster - how dare I? Other mornings there was no milk, tea, bread or other things set out. It was not a large spread (but sufficient for our needs) so I was disappointed that she appeared overwhelemed by it all. In any case, this was the only blemish in terms of service.

The location is excellent. You're within walking distance of some shops, drug store, IGA, and several excellent restaurants (Seven, Coco Bistro, and Caicos Cafe). We rented a jeep to explore the island, others rent a car for the entire trip but it's really not necessary. I walked to the golf course from Villa del Mar.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank deanslist
Reviewed 14 January 2012

My husband and I just returned from a 1 week stay at the Villa Del Mar! The staff and owner were amazing. Our condo and the grounds of the property were beautiful and clean. The resort is not on the beach, however it takes 1 minute to walk to Grace Bay. The market and shopping centers are all within walking distance. The island itself is VERY EXPENSIVE, but it is worth every penny!! We also had the pleasure of diving with DIVE PROVO, which runs a very classy operation. Thanks to Bill and Deb and Kiko for a wonderful experience. We shall return. Paying for meals at Grace Bay Club, Seven Stars and Coco Bistro is all worth it!! Bring your Gucci, Tory Burch and you will fit it!!

Room Tip: There is not a lot of privacy to the bathroom if you are not a couple!!
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ilsetu28
Reviewed 11 January 2012

My husband and I went for a week in December and fell in love with Turks and Caicos!! Villa Del Mar was exactly as the pictures on this site! The staff were AMAZING and HAPPY to be there! You will not find a better place for the the price and location! I would recommend you rent a car for a few days to visit Taylor Bay!!! It is super shallow for thousands of feet :) - super relaxing - just bring your own umbrella and picnic basket!! You must eat at Caicos cafe, Sibonne (i had the cajun lambchops and were AMAZING!!!), and Somewhere (great mexican food). This is the first time I have ever said that I would return to an island - TandC is the best island!!! and I have travelled to many!!! This island is a perfect quiet vacation - for romance or with the family!

Room Tip: Make sure you bring zip lock bags for the food in your kitchen and store everything in the fridge! This avoids any bugs you might get!
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank travellingforlife1
Reviewed 10 January 2012

Just returned from a 1 week stay at the Villa del Mar and can confirm that Grace Bay beach is incredibly beautiful and truly one of the best in the world! The sand is soft and white, the water clear neon turquoise and the sky a perfect blue. We were there during the holiday season (end of Dec / beginning of Jan) and never found it too crowded.

Since we spent most of our time at the beach, the beach attendants Lerone and Kerone were an important part of our visit. Both brothers were always very hard-working in the hot sun, friendly, charming, considerate and respectful. The Villa del Mar is fortunate to have them on staff. So, this is a special thanks and shout-out to Kerone and Lerone!

The property is very well-maintained with lovely grounds and spacious fully equipped suites. The photos shown on Tripadvisor and the Villa del Mar websites are accurate representations.

As others have indicated, the breakfast is light, but sufficient and comparable to what most people would likely have at home. It was much appreciated and helped start the day without having to provide our own breakfast and coffee.

We ate out once daily, either lunch or dinner, and made our own meal once daily. This allowed us to enjoy some restaurants while keeping expenses within reason. Yes, groceries and restaurants are very expensive in Grace Bay, but there are options and you can find some more moderately priced restaurants to off-set the expensive meals. There are two large barbeques provided for guests' use and we barbequed once. We wish to send a special thanks to Nadine for helping us with the barbeque. Without her assistance we might still be standing there trying to figure out what to do!

We had only one disappointment, and it is very much a matter of personal taste. We found the property and everything within walking distance rather lacking in Caribbean character. We had to remind ourselves that we were in the West Indies as the guests, food, music, architecture, etc. were not representative of a Caribbean experience. For example, the music played in the breakfast area was North American 60s pop/soft rock. This astounded me every morning! The suite decor is all beige/brown and while this is neutral and "safe" I didn't realize until I returned home how much I missed seeing some colours! We have more exposure to Caribbean culture every day in Toronto than we had in a week in Grace Bay. In fact, we went out to have roti for lunch the day after we returned and enjoyed lots of great reggae, calypso, soca, etc. on the radio to compensate for what we missed while away on a Caribbean island! [Check out G98.7 FM]

That being said, we would definitely recommend Grace Bay and the Villa del Mar to others and would love to return for a beach vacation. It met or exceeded our expectations in all other respects.

To put our comments into perspective we live in downtown Toronto, travel south 2-3 times each year, generally stay at 5* accommodations, usually but not always all-inclusive resorts.

Room Tip: A matter of individual preference. Ground floor allows easy access to pools. Upper floors are quieter and have a better view.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family