“Mix Feelings”

Hyatt Regency Trinidad
Ranked #2 of 22 Hotels in Port of Spain
Reviewed 3 April 2009

Positive: This hotel is located in the heart of town . Great Location to get around. Upon arrival, was greeting pleasantly by staff and a glas of champagne, NICE Touch. Security is pretty tight, must have a room key to enter the elevator. Pool - Immaculate. Beatuiful view.

Negative: 2 out of the 5 days no hot water. Keep saying it would come back on but it never did, I guess the engineer could not figure out the problem . No visitors allowed after a certain hour even is they are going up to the room with you. Security sttod by the elevator and ask, is he/she staying with you. if not they must leave the establisment. Pool closes to early. Very pricey food. Staff not so friendly.

I will give this hotel another time off - peak season , maybe they just could not handle the capacity of people during Carnival

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with friends
3  Thank Sintika
There are newer reviews for Hyatt Regency Trinidad

Reviewed 24 March 2009

I spent my birthday Spa weekend at the Hyatt as a gift from my husband. Room was fine. Bed was comfy. There was garbage in the drawer next to the bed (last guest’s half-used sugar packets). There was only 1 wine glass for us to share. Dinner was tasty but menu was boring. Had 3 different people serving us in their cooking aprons! Would have been nicer to see the wait staff in proper attire.
Beautiful premises but the service has deteriorated significantly since opening. Rotting blackened flowers with murky water on the breakfast table! Enough to upset your whole morning!
Check-in staff member was unenthusiastic & expressionless. Bellhops used to open door for guests, now you have to open it for yourself!
Electricity loss for a few hours at night. I felt that an offer for a small refund on the room bill for the inconvenience should have been given. If not, then at the very least to give complimentary drinks while guests are sitting in the bar & lobby waiting for the electricity to come back.
For the cost of the Spa package, the service should have been better. Mani & Pedi took 4 hours instead of 2-1/4 (very uncomfortable sitting there so long!). The job was shoddy as the polish was bubbling both on my hands & feet. When I showed up on time for my massage, therapist was having lunch and my treatment didn’t start until 1 hour later. Not acceptable! For the cost of the 3 Spa treatments at Hyatt, I could have gotten 10 treatments at La Vita just down the road with far better quality, service and value for money. Disappointing stay.
No notice about parking arrangement so on the first departure from the car park had to pay $45. Only then told to take the slip back to the hotel to get it stamped. Terrible inconvenience. Due to the 3rd party arrangement for parking, they won’t give refunds even if your receipt (after you’ve paid) is stamped when you return to the parking kiosk. Guests should be notified when they enter the carpark, not upon leaving. I won’t be staying at this Hyatt again even though I'm a Gold Passport member.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank The_Concierge_8
Reviewed 16 March 2009

I had spent a few nights at this hotel during the carnival in February. It was an absolutely wonderful hotel - the modern architecture, the ambience, the proximity to the carnival events, the general professionalism of the staff was noted. There were one or two concerns such as the price of the food and drinks and the attitude of one particular member of staff but I am not going to allow those concerns to devalue the wonderful experience that I had at this hotel. If I do return to T & T, this certainly would be my first choice hotel.

• Stayed: February 2009
Reviewed 11 March 2009

I hope the Hyatt stays as is (high end and all) or gets better. If you want quality you gotta pay for it . And this is a quality product. Not for one second did I begrudge the Hyatt one single penny for my wonderful vacation accomodations. My only regret is that I did not get to try everything on the menu. The grilled shrimp served by the pool is fantastic. Big ups to Kevin and Ryan. Kerwin makes the best Margarita and Sylvester serves them with the greastest of ease. Keisha and Chris, two of my dining attendants, were so sweet and attentive. The operators and front desk personnel never picked up the telephone with an attitude no matter how much I bothered them. There is nothing legally that you ask of the Hyatt staff that they will not try to accomodate you with and I did have a couple of outrageous request. My only concern, please don't consider it an improvement to remove the boats that are currently part of the ocean view. I read a previous Hyatt review complaining about the quality of the boats. Keep the boats, its whats separates this Hyatt from many others. Even though the Hyatt was in the city, it didn't feel like I was in the city so I felt no urgency to go to the beach. I'll be back.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank NewJerseyChee
Reviewed 4 March 2009

I stayed at the Hyatt this past carnival 2009. I stay for 4 nights and enjoyed every night. the hotel is very clean and updated. the only down part was the expense. For a regular YoPlat yougart it cost $6 US which was crazy. I didn't realize how much i spent until i actually converted the currency. The hotel restaurant was nice but again expensive. I enjoyed the breakfast buffet, but the dinner needed a little more spice. The staff was friendly and attentive. Upon arrival at the hotel my mother and I were greeted with a complimentary champagne, we were also given room cards that are used for the elevators (really cool). The actual hotel was updated, modern and clean. The only update i would do is to included a salon.

I truly enjoyed my trip and will visit again. Hopefully they keep up with their customer service and they will do well.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with friends
54.7 km away
Acajou Hotel
Acajou Hotel
#1 of 2 in Grande Riviere

Been to Hyatt Regency Trinidad? Share your experiences!