“Recommend this Hotel”

The Normandie Hotel & Conference Centre
Ranked #14 of 21 Hotels in Port of Spain
Reviewed 14 May 2012

The hotel is located down a lane in St Anne’s. We were in Trinidad to watch cricket at Queens Park so the location was very suitable for us as only a 30 min walk across the Savannah. The room was clean & large with a TV, safe, fridge, WIFI & balcony. There is a large pool area. The restaurant had good food but most of the items on the menu were unavailable & we highly recommend the Creole restaurant in the lane outside the front entrance.

Room Tip: Although we had a lovely room with balcony it was near the reception & noisy at night with peopl...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank CricketGirlDarwin

Reviewed 11 May 2012

DO NOT STAY AT THE NORMANDIE HOTEL AT ALL COSTS. IF YOU WANT TO EXPERIENCE PROPER TRINIDADIAN HOSPITALITY - STAY ELSEWHERE

Me, my family and several friends stayed there recently during Trinidad carnival and cut our stay.

The reception staff are inept. One would think as reception is front facing and representing the Normandie, It is the first and foremost their duty to ensure that all guests should have a very pleasant stay at the hotel. If they don't, then at least try to resolve any problems or come to an agreeable solution. There were no clarity, no coherence and certainly no responsibility in the manner to which they handled our stay. That's just reception, so this now leads to management and the lack of it. Where were they? Who are they? Why did it take all of our party to try to speak to someone on several occasions to try and resolve the problems we all had with each any every room we were allocated.

I shared a twin room with a friend, in fact it was room 106 and there were mould on the walls by the air conditioning unit. The electrical wires around the unit were not secure and could potentially be fatal. The water from the bathroom sink and shower were both tepid and there were no water pressure either. No one from the hotel apologised, let alone attempted to fix it or move us to another room despite high-lighting the problems to reception several times.

We were suppose to be staying on a bed & breakfast basis. The choice of food were minimal and cold irrespective what time you arrived to eat. It were a task in itself to get any of the waiting staff to replenish foods which were running low or in most times run out. I asked if I could have a fried egg, to which I had to wait over half an hour for it. In that time I had to ask four times and even offered to fry it myself!!!!!

To top things off, there were thefts of money from a couple of our party rooms. The way that management handled it seem like something out of Pink Panther and Inspector Clouseau!! As such, we had to call the police.

It's absolutely disgusting that the owner dismissed us out of hand and literally walked away when we wanted a refund, especially when all of our party travelled long distances to get to Trinidad and paid a lot of money to stay at the Normandie hotel. What the pictures on the Normandie Hotel website shows in reality to what we experienced is totally different. We actually found out that there were many rooms which were closed before hand because they needed adequate to major refurbishment. Instead of the owner addressing all of these rooms properly and bringing them up to the standard advertised on their website. They thought they could get away with it by opening them up anyway and delegating to guests irrespective of the condition to reside in them. A HUGE mistake on their part. THEY ARE MONEY ORIENTATED and greed got the best of them, plus there is are members of staff which are light fingered.

Me and my party have taken photographic evidence of all our rooms. We have presented our complaints to the Hotel. As such, since management have not been in regular contact with us, resolved our problems to date and not offered adequate compensation, we shall be taking this further with Trinidad's Ministry of Tourism and will make Trinidad media aware of this, because they certainly have let themselves down tremendously and not represented the true spirit and culture of true Trinidadians. SHAME ON YOU NORMANDIE HOTEL.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
18  Thank Sunil N
Reviewed 14 April 2012

This is my second stay at this Hotel, from the 13 to the 15 of April. It was decent. Our room was clean and secure, and the staff was generous and efficient. It was not too noisy. The location of this hotel is pretty good too, it's near restaurants and Fastfood joints. The internet is reliable and the other reviews had got me thinking twice, but other than that, this hotel isn't very big, there is a kinda... shopping area. The breakfast included was good, and the restaurant is in good shape.

I didn't like the idea of the pool, there's this fountain at the entrance of the pool, I know it's probably some part of the design but I don't like it.The rooms had minor problems like, no microwave ovens, the only way to warm food, and only water, is using a water heater. To Conclude, the prices may be a little high, but in all its good value.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Jonathan M
Reviewed 4 April 2012

Attended an Awards Luncheon recently, however, the Hotel seems run down and outdated. Foods was generally ok, nothing to write home about. New upgrading..

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 March 2012

So I decided to stay here for carnival this year (2/17-2/22). Last year I stayed at the Hilton and had zero complaints. But the majority of the people I traveled with stayed at the Normandie and I was always going over there to visit. I liked the idea that it wasn't so BIG like the Hilton and had a cozier vibe to the hotel. So I went with the decision to stay here this year. Worst decision ever made!! From the fact that there was one working lamp in my room (several calls to the front desk made), the fact there was a lack to basic items like washcloths and towels available, the fact that money was STOLEN from my room ($50 from me & $40 from my roommate), the fact the MAJORITY of the staff had a major attitude problem, the fact the restaurant on site had a menu with a variety of options..too bad there were only 4 things available to choose from, leads me to the decision that I would NEVER stay here again. I should of stayed at the Hilton. I have so many other complaints but I think you get the idea. TnT carnival will see me again for 2013 but not the Normadie!!! EVER!!!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends