“Nice beach spot, good food and drink, but caution of owner”

Off The Hook Bar & Grill
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 4 April 2018

I visited this restaurant with several friends during a day at the beach. Beautiful area and nice water. The food and drinks we received were good, but we received very poor and unreliable service. We have spent a lot of time in the West Indies and this was not a matter of "island time"; this was different. The owner, Curtis, did not seem at all interested in our experience or apologetic about the inconvenience to us. When my friends and I politely expressed concern about our experience, Curtis became enraged and behaved threateningly toward us. This was a very uncomfortable end to a beautiful beach day.

Date of visit: August 2017
2  Thank Kynan B

Reviewed 1 April 2018

We had an incredible day at this beautiful laid back bar and grill. The beach was awesome, turquoise water to swim in and cold drinks, fish and lobster. It was a true testament to the Caribbean lifestyle offering a quaint little magical setting. Highly recommend it.

Reviewed 17 March 2018 via mobile

What a paradise! So glad we stopped by Off the Hook! Good Food. Cold Drinks. Relaxing getaway. I can't wait to go back again. Our room was so close to the water, you can hear the waves. Thank you Colleen and Curtis for your hospitality. I recommend OFF THE HOOK!

1  Thank Corinne O
Reviewed 17 March 2018

This is a way cool place to stop for a bite and enjoy the beach. Curtis, the owner, is very nice and will do whatever he can to accommodate you. He drove us on his boat to a remote island and prepared our lunch as we snorkeled with the turtles. Amazing and at an affordable price. His knowledge and local lore just add to the experience. A++++

1  Thank bdavid58
Reviewed 6 March 2018

I recently returned from Carnival on Carriacou, not wanting to stay in town during the festivities I decided to try the new apartments for rent at Off the Hook.
The bar itself is an iconic Caribbean Bar and well known throughout the yachting community. During the day you get a nice mix of people, the vibe is very laid back and you're free to do your own thing with no one bothering you.
Evenings were quiet, probably due to everyone being in town for the celebrations; however they do have a steel pan band on Wednesday nights.
The apartments themselves are on par with others on the beach. It has two separate rooms and a bathroom. The kitchen is equipped with a two burner gas cooktop, there is a nice dorm size refrigerator and a sink. There was some kitchen gear there upon arrival, and when I asked for a few more bits Colleen came over with an arm full. Both Colleen and Curtis were very accommodating with anything I needed.
The bedroom has a queen size bed, small dresser, television and rustic bench. The apartment has air conditioning, however with the large screened window in the bedroom I never needed to use it as the breeze blowing in was more than enough to keep cool, I even had to pull the sheets up a couple nights. An added bonus is the sound of the waves breaking on the shore during the night.
The bathroom has a nice size shower, but like many places here there is no hot water. I'm happy with the air temperature water, however my better half needs a hot shower in the morning. To get around that we bring a camp shower and heat some water up in the kettle then she's all set to go.
How wonderful is it to be able to walk out the door with a cup of coffee in the morning and be on that beautiful stretch of beach.
There is a shop just up the road that sells the basics and also Jack Iron straight out of the barrel.
All in all I would say it's a good value at under $100 a night and comparable to hotel next door, where I've stayed a few times, I do like that it's split into two rooms.
This will now be my "go to" beach hotel on Carriacou and I would not hesitate to recommend it to family and friends.

Date of visit: February 2018