“Good Deal”

Sunshine Suites Resort
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
Reviewed 15 March 2012

Stayed for one week in March 2012. Sunshine suites is a comfortable, well kept, clean resort. Grounds are beautifully landscaped. Great value for a resort situated across the road from Seven Mile Beach. Although some find crossing the road to be a nuisance, it wasn't an issue for my husband and I. Since we had a rental vehicle we would just drive over to Governor's Beach which is quieter and cleaner than the area between the Westin & Ritz.

Breakfast at the hotel was good, every second day there were hot items served as well; eggs & potatoes or pancakes. Good coffee.

A/C in room is noisy and difficult to control - I often found myself to be too cold.

Overall the experience was a good one and I would stay here again. We enjoyed the close proximity to shops, restaurants, and Seven Mile. For those who aren't afraid to cross a road, this place is perfect.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Sunshine Suites Resort

Reviewed 15 March 2012

The Sunshine Suites Resort is an excellent mid-range hotel: It has big, comfortable beds (with the kind or mattress that allows you to get in and out of bed without disturbing your sleeping spouse), a good internet connection, powerful (without being noisy) air conditioning, a clean bathroom with strong water pressure in the shower, lots of absorbant towels and more than ample (Neutrogena) amenities… I loved having a full-sized fridge for wine and bottled water, and a burner or two so I can make real tea and espresso (yes, I always bring my stovetop espresso pot with me on holiday)… We were extremely grateful for the peace and quiet in the evenings and at night — no loud, tacky live music coming from the pool area, as there so often is in Caribbean resorts, not even the sound of crashing waves, just blissful quiet… it goes without saying that I appreciated the friendly, efficient, professinal hotel staff who answered my emails almost immediately, were knowledgeable about the area, and quick to respond to any concerns I had.

From the minute I booked our stay, I knew we were going to have wonderful time at this hotel: I got the feeling from the emails responding to my initial questions about the room that the staff were truly looking forward to our stay; we felt welcome even before we arrived… and we DID enjoy the hotel, for all of the reasons I’ve noted above!

The only thing we really missed was having a balcony or terrace off our room…

I would like especially to thank one of the front desk clerks, a girl from France whose name has escaped me: she was very professional in dealing with my complaint about our bicycle rentals… we rented two bikes for the day but, unfortunately, the chain on one bike was rusted and loose and came off four times during our ride to Bodden Town… the other bike’s seat was way too low, having slid down completely as it had never been adjusted properly… offering bike rentals is a super idea, but the bikes should be stored inside somewhere out of the rain, otherwise their life span will be considerably shortened… it’s surprising that there aren’t more cyclists, given the flatness of the terrain…

I highly recommend this hotel!

I would like to add that Seven Mile Beach has beautiful, turquoise water and soft, powdery white sand… if you like holidays that include nothing but basking in the sun, reading on the beach and swimming, you will love Grand Cayman… but the island itself is very flat and not particularly pretty, and there is a good deal of traffic, way too much traffic in fact… there really aren’t any good trekking possibilities, no trails “off-the-beaten track” such as one finds in Grenada, Tobago or Bequia… and for a holiday to be perfect, for me at least, that’s absolutely crucial!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 March 2012

My guests and I stayed at Sunshine Suites when we came to Cayman for my wedding and everyone loved it! It's very family-friendly, has super great staff, extremely clean rooms, every room has a little kitchenette, AND it's right across the street from a beautiful stretch of 7 mile beach. We checked out multiple hotels along 7-mile before settling on Sunshine Suites, and we couldn't have been happier. The rates were the right fit for our guests, and the staff (especially Nadia!) were SUPER accommodating! Thanks, everyone, for a fantastic week!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Brenswee
Reviewed 9 March 2012

We stayed in Grand Cayman before going to Jamaica in February. We chose the Sunshine Suites because we wanted an economical place to stay in the middle of all of the action. We were quite satisfied. The room was clean, cozy and comfortable and completely functional for the price compared to other resorts on SMB. We knew it wasn't on the beach so we rented a car, downloaded an awesome iOS app called SpotCayman (amazing Grand Cayman maps) and boogied all over the island. You just can't beat Grand Cayman. Driving is safe, restaurants are awesome - especially Over The Edge in North Side and Morgan's Harbour in West Bay (see - I told you we went everywhere!!). I think we hit every single beach on the island - even Barefoot Beach off the Queen's Highway. The snorkelling is awesome. If you want to save some money on the hotel, still be in the heart of SMB and splurge on other aspects - stay at the Sunshine Suites, you can't go wrong.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ClementineSomewhere
Reviewed 9 March 2012

My husband and I stayed here for two weeks February 2012. It has to be one of the friendliest places we have ever been, island and hotel. If you are after all the whistles and bells of a Marriott, Hilton don't bother, but if you want very clean and comfortable, good value accommodation on a very expensive island the Sunshine Suites is for you. We have no complaints. Our room was plenty large enough, on the ground floor as I have mobility issues, very clean and practical with a very comfortable bed. The breakfast, although repetitive, was very good, offering oatmeal, yoghurt, muffins, toast, boiled eggs, juices and very good coffee everyday. Fresh fruit was available too as was French toast some mornings. The staff work very hard but were always pleasant and remembered your name after the first visit. In the evenings it gets very booked up as the food is excellent and a reasonable price. Eating out is very expensive on the island, although you are able to find any type of food you are after be it Indian, Thai, Chinese etc, fantastic variety of well booked food all over the Island. If you are trying to save money buy the ready cooked meals at Fosters as the locals do, it is delicious. For the Brits you are able to find any British food you are after as Waitrose produce seems to stock vast areas of the supermarkets. Even cheaper is the Cost-U-Less just a short walk from the back of the Suites where you can get most things such as water, sunshades, canned drinks etc.
The office staff were always very polite and helpful especially, helping me when we had to call 911 and get my husband admitted to hospital where he stayed for two days requiring blood transfusions. The hospital service was also very good and nowhere near as expensive as I imagined, we are still waiting to see if our Insurance is paying up in full!
As for the people who complain about the distance to the beach I don't know what they are complaining about. Our room was the furthest away from the beach and it would take five minutes maximum to walk there and that is me using a stick as I am waiting for two new hips this year! Yes the road can be busy but more often than not cars would just stop to let us cross. The footpath to the beach goes between two properties as do the public access paths all along Seven Mile Beach. Often Kitchen staff from the Westin would be out there having quick smoke but they were always very polite and friendly. The beach itself is stunning although it does have a steepish bank at the edge which was a slight problem to me because of my hips but my husband would just lend me a hand. The water itself is perfect. The Sunshine Suites loan out seats which are rather low down but I managed, however as with all places sometimes people didn't put theirs back at night so they were sometimes in short supply but very useful when you got them. There was never a problem getting clean beach towels at the office.
I would suggest hiring a car so that you can get a good look round the Island although the bus service is brilliant. They have small people carriers with dots on the front (so you know they are a bus) that stop anywhere to pick you up and drop you off wherever you want for two Cayman Dollars - brilliant. Taxi drivers are really superb, very kind and helpful. We have an open invitation back to one taxi drivers house (Jan) any time we go back to the island. They are the friendliest people I have ever met.
I would recommend the island to everyone especially if you want to dive or relax on the beach. Camana Bay is an up and coming area to eat with some good shops and more to come. There are plenty of trips to do, Stingray City, Submarine trip, turtles and Dolphins to visit and the Botanic Park. Just go , relax and get yourself on Cayman time and you will have a wonderful holiday.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Caribbean Club
#1 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
2.4 km away
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Reso...
#4 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
0.3 km away
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mi...
#7 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
30.2 km away
Wyndham Reef Resort
Wyndham Reef Resort
#2 of 2 in East End

Recently Reviewed Hotels around Seven Mile Beach

Been to Sunshine Suites Resort? Share your experiences!