“Started Out Bad, But Sunshine Suites Made Everything Right...”

Sunshine Suites Resort
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
Reviewed 4 March 2012

This was our 3rd time visiting GC and our first time during 'high season.' I shopped around for hotels and with TA reviews and SS prices, I felt like they were the best option. We usually stay at Marriott and it was about $300 more a night to stay at the Marriott and SS has free wifi and free use of world gym, so we thought we would give SS a shot. We booked the 'Money To Play' package which gives you 25% of whatever you paid for your room before taxes and lets you use them on different excursions and food at the grille. We used it for a Sunset Sail which we really enjoyed and food at the grille. The food is as good as the reviews and I did a review on the grille already so I won't go into that.

We arrived around 2pm and went to check in and our room was not ready yet. Check in is at 3, however we always get there early at Marriott and get right into our room so that was somewhat annoying. They gladly held our luggage for us and we headed to the beach until check in. When we first walked into our room, I thought they were a little small. We got the smallest possible room b/c it was obv the cheapest but I would go for the next size up next time if I stayed there again. The rooms were very clean and tidy. They were not extremely nice rooms but they were definitely clean and comfortable. The only complaint I had about the rooms was that the flooring was tile and whenever you came back from the beach sand would be all over the floor and stick to your feet and everything else on the floor. I just wish they had carpet. We did not use any of the kitchen appliances during our stay b/c we ate out every meal. Breakfast was complimentary and was pretty good. I only have the Marriott to compare it too, but Marriott's breakfast buffet blows SS buffet out of the water!! It was good enough to get your day started though. Oatmeal, toast, yogurt and a few type of breads were offered along with coffee and juices. The outdoor area around the resort is nice and lots of people were sitting out in the sun together just relaxing everyday. I thought the pool area is very awkward as it is outside of the grille and people are eating right beside you when you are swimming and gets pretty crowded.

I read a lot about the walk to the beach from the resort being a problem for a few people. I recorded a video of myself walking from the front desk to the beach itself and it took 4 minutes to do that. You do have to cross the st and at times traffic can be heavy but usually someone will stop and let you cross if it's busy. The other problem I read about was walking by The Westin's dumpster area, which they had covered up and was not a problem. If I can figure out how to attach a video to this review, I can post the walking video as I saw many people wanted to know about that.

I only ran into a couple problems and that was early on in our trip and I thought I was going to give SS a really bad review bc of it, however they turned everything around in what I thought was the right thing to do and I was very happy with that. The first problem I had was that they advertise that you get to use World Gym for free when you stay with them which is probably about 30% of the reason I chose them as World Gym usually charges about $12 a day to work out. I went to the front desk and asked if I needed anything to get into the gym, and the guy handed me a pass. I caught a bus to the gym and when I arrived a sign was on the front door stating that the gym was closed b/c they were moving locations and would not be open for another week or so. I was pretty furious as I wanted to work out and that the guy sent me all the way there without telling me that. I ran back to SS which took about 10-15 minutes and told them the bad news and asked if there was anything else they could do and they just kind of looked at me with blank stares and said 'no.' I asked if they would please let other guests know this info and not to send anyone else there and the next day I saw they had a sign posted about the gym being closed. When I got back to my room I told my g/f the news and told her I thought it was ridiculous that they advertise that, and then sent me there, and then had no solution? I told her they could of at least sent me to 'anytime fitness' somehow and about an hour later I got a message on our room phone stating that they would send me to anytime fitness and reimburse me whatever it cost to go there. I did go to Anytime, and when I got there, they were having a 2 year anniversary party and they were really busy and told me I could just use the gym for free that day. I was happy with SS decision to fix this problem. The other problem I had was with the front desk. When trying to find out different excursions to do on the island or get a few new suggestions, the front desk was not helpful. I tried a couple times with different front desk people and just got 'you could go to sting ray city, or do the submarine.' Both of those options are on our 'money to play' sheet and I was looking for different idea's which I later found online via TA and other sites. We also had an issue when booking our Sunset Sail. We were supposed to be given 2 voucher's to get onto the boat and when we arrived to check into the excursion we told the lady we were not given voucher's and she called the front desk. The gentleman asked to speak with me and swore he gave them to me, and then I swore he did not give them to me. We kind of argued for a minute and then I just finally told him that one of us made a mistake and regardless I just wanted to get onto the boat and enjoy the evening and they made it happen.

With all of that said, I feel like SS did what was right to solve the problems we encountered and I was happy overall when we finally left. For the money we paid, we were very happy with our stay and everything else all in all. SS is not The Marriott or The Ritz, so don't go there expecting that kind of service and atmosphere just b/c TA has them at number 3. They are however a nice, clean, well run resort. If you are looking to save a few bucks and don't mind somewhat mediocre service then I believe you should give SS a try. We are going back in low season and are not planning on staying there again but I would consider it again in high season. Hope this helps

2  Thank Jarrett J
There are newer reviews for Sunshine Suites Resort

Reviewed 2 March 2012

Mrs. B and I found the Sunshine Suites Resort to be a good, comfortable hotel and, more than anything else, a good value for the money (which is very rare on this island). It is not on the beach. One has to cross between two beachfront hotels to get there and thereby endure the pungent aroma of the Westin’s garbage area. Meh!

The rooms with kitchenettes are a plus if you like to prepare some of your own food and a well-stocked grocery store is a 15 minute walk back towards town if you want to stock up on snacks and drinks. If you are only interested in procuring an alcoholic beverage or two, Big Daddy Liquors is 100 meters from the hotel entrance. Be prepared for price sticker shock everywhere; everything is shipped in and grocery prices, for example, are at least double what we pay in the States. Generally, the hotel is nice and quiet; the staff is friendly and helpful; maid service is excellent; and the place attracts an older crowd, families, and business travelers. It seemed to be full up most of the time.

The included breakfast leaves a lot to be desired. Go buy some croissants and cheese.

Hint: as anyone who has traveled in the Caribbean knows, beware of the “free” champagne excursions to town that hold you and your dollars hostage to high pressure jewelry and gift store representatives. If you find yourself on a bus that suddenly has more escorts on board than passengers, bail out while you can.

There are a number of restaurants within walking distance of Sunshine Suites and you also have access to the beachfront hotels’ restaurants should the fancy strike you. It did not strike us: when we found out that the Westin’s Sunday Brunch Extravaganza would set us back in excess of $65 each we opted for less opulent fare.

Seven Mile Beach is a nice walking beach with delightful sand. There are blocks of vacation rentals and high-end hotels on the beach; while we were there, many seemed unoccupied or vacant. Check out the Ritz Carlton if for nothing else than to see their floating double beds and floating lunch tables with canopies. Their clientele in linen covered beach beds are also worth a glance.

Mrs. B and I found the Sunshine Suites to be quite nice and we are glad we stayed here rather than one of the fancier joints. That being said, we found Grand Cayman overall to be a letdown as a vacation destination, although it would be perfect for divers if that is how one wants to spend all of one’s time. We do not dive that much anymore and prefer to snorkel, but unfortunately, the beach snorkeling here is bland and limited. Hotel staff recommended we snorkel at “Governor’s Reef”, which is accessible from the beach in front of Governor’s House. We did and found it unremarkable.

The ambience of the island is quite different from other Caribbean locations we have visited: it does not have an identifiable “flavor” of its own and could easily be mistaken for an expensive part of south Florida. Grand Cayman appears populated by workers primarily from Canada, Europe and the U.S. who are sand rats in their off hours. We won’t be coming back to Grand Cayman, but we may try out Little Cayman or Cayman Brac if we run out of other places to visit.

Finally, don't miss out saying hello to Paco the Hotel Cat, one of the most sociable cats we've had the pleasure to meet.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
16  Thank TheBrainiac
Reviewed 1 March 2012

My wife and I Just returned from a ten day stay at Sunshine Suites Resort. Lived up to our expectations. We rented a one bedroom apartment, perfectly adequate for two people, Did our own cooking on eight of the ten days. Everything worked perfectly in the room and housekeeping came in every day to tidy up. Ate at the Sunshine Grill on two occasions , food was good , staff very helpful. Enjoyed the complimentary breakfast each morning. All in all a nice experience would thoroughly reccommend this resort. The price of the room was 50% less than the rooms available right on the beach.

Room Tip: Some tips: Try and rent a ground floor room, this avoids having to take the stairs, and you can easi...
3  Thank janton2016
Reviewed 29 February 2012

Just returned from a week at Sunshine Suites. Booked based on reviews, fully loved up to expectations. Excellent location, bus service made trips to Cemetary Beach and Georgetown very easy. Loved SUnshine Grill and Eats Cafe (5 minutes away). Excellent value for 4 people. Rooms are a little small but given the beauty of the area, didn't spend much time in room. Sunshine property was very well maintained. Once we got used to crossing the road, trips to the beach were no problem. Resort and restaurant staff we very helpful. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit and can't wait to return again!

Room Tip: The one bedroom is worth the little extra - much more room to spread out.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank LoveCayman155019
Reviewed 28 February 2012

My husband and I just returned from Cayman and I can't say enough great things about this resort. I've probably been to Grand Cayman ten times and have stayed at many of the beach side resorts. This is my favorite hotel there. Crossing the street to be on the best stretch of 7 mile beach between the Westin and Ritz Carlton is just not a big deal when you factor being able to bring your own food and drinks and have the same experience at a fraction of the cost.

The Sunshine Suites provides chairs and towels and shade umbrellas if another customer has left one behind. The rooms are clean and cheery with small kitchens and really really comfortable beds and pillows and are nicer than what you will get at double the cost across the street. Everyone who we encountered at the hotel and wonderful restaurant was kind and helpful. This hotel has its market nailed.

We traveled without our kids this trip but would definitely stay here with our kids as well. The guests at the hotel were a wonderful mix of divers and families and young and older. Everyone seemed super happy to be there. And you have the advantage of staying at the hotel with the best restaurant on the island! We saw many of the people we met at the Ritz and the Westin there but guests get priority reservations.

We did not rent a car, preferring instead to walk or ride the small busses and the occasional taxi. Everyone on Cayman seems genuinely happy to have you on the island. I highly recommend the island the hotel and the restaurant and can't wait to return!

Room Tip: Since we were on the rare trip without children we requested a room away from small children if poss...
Also consider these accommodations in or near Seven Mile Beach
Caribbean Club
#1 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
2.4 km away
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Reso...
#4 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
0.3 km away
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mi...
#7 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
30.2 km away
Wyndham Reef Resort
Wyndham Reef Resort
#2 of 2 in East End

Recently Reviewed Hotels around Seven Mile Beach

Been to Sunshine Suites Resort? Share your experiences!