“Great place to wait out a storm!!”

Peter Island Resort and Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Peter Island
Reviewed 16 August 2017

We had the good fortune of being in dock at Peter Island when a major storm hit the BVI, the worst storm in 20 years. So we were grateful to be in a safe location at a five star resort. We hung out at the beach, the pool, the library, and enjoyed five star restaurants. We had so much fun, we hung on for a couple of extra days once the winds returned to normal. We would recommend a stop at Peter Island for anyone sailing in the area or at least a stop for lunch and a dip in Deadman's Bay!!

Room Tip: We were on a sailboat, so no recommendations on rooms, sorry. They have fantastic showers, be sure t...
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ColleenCopple
abaker2017, Director of Rooms at Peter Island Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2017

Dear ColleenCopple,
We're so happy to hear you found shelter with us during the recent storms. It was definitely an incredible experience for us all! I hope you are able to come back and stay with us in the future, as our spa and guest rooms are always the best places to unwind after a sailing adventure around the BVI!

Reviewed 15 August 2017 via mobile

I am already counting down the weeks until I can return to this little slice of paradise! I came to the island expecting a blissful retreat and break from my hectic work life. The staff and amenities at Peter Island met or exceeded every expectation I had.

It began immediately when we landed and our pre-arranged car service was waiting to take us to the boat and through customs. Alexis had arranged everything for us beforehand and the travel to the island was a breeze! She even personally greeted us dockside to immediately escort us to our accommodations. The villa was spotless and we felt instantly at home.

The experience only improved as our days went by. We rented a private charter to explore the other surrounding islands (so fun!), but I must admit that the best part was returning back to Peter Island for cocktails and appetizers in the open aired bar. Other on-island highlights included Jean Kelly's warm conversation and delicious French toast in the morning (an island staple as I'm told), beachside service of everything from smoothies to pizza (Jahvid is just the best!), ocean kayaking, an afternoon of massages at the spa, and memorable dinners at both restaurants.

We also explored the other little nooks on the island and took full advantage of the private cabanas on one of the smaller beaches. We packed a little picnic and Edward even filled our cooler with a great local beer that was perfect for the adventure!

I really can't say enough about the helpfulness of the staff - everyone took such good care of us! If a secluded jem is what you're after, I can't think of a better place to escape the real world. I'd gush more, but I think you'll want to discover a few of the other little surprises for yourself!

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Alyssa H
abaker2017, Director of Rooms at Peter Island Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2017

Greetings Alyssa H,
Wow! Thank you for your stellar review! It sounds as if a trip to paradise is just what the doctor ordered. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your accommodations as well as Jean's cookies, Javid's smoothies and the Spa's massage! All excellent choices, that I hope you will be able to repeat in the near future. And thank you for not spoiling all the surprises for our future guests...they will need to discover them on their own! We hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 14 August 2017

Peter Island used to be a private island resort that had a yacht harbor. Last week it felt like a marina that had a hotel! And although we had a wonderful time with our friends, the resort now appears to value its visiting yachters as much as its resort guests and is truly lacking in its normal hospitality.
1) For starters, the best part of Deadman’s Bay Beach (in front of the Beach Club & bar) has now been designated for visitors. The resort guest lounge chairs (still filthy) have been moved to the sides and the next best beach positions are reserved for Peter Island “villa” guests. When we arrived (4 days before the storm), there was a huge amount of seaweed on the shoreline and it smelled like a sewer break! The mess was slowly cleaned up on the half of the beach where the yachties filled up the chairs but never cleaned up from the beachfront rooms, all the way over to the Beach Club. If I’d paid the $800-900/nt for a beachfront room, I’d have been livid! A long-time employee told us they’d never seen seaweed build up like it before…ever. Sharing that previous managers had always hired 10-20 workers & a backhoe from Tortola to come and clean it up. Beyond disappointing!
2) The marina was full of bareboat and crewed yacht charter boats all week…not just during the storm. It was an unusual sight to us as long-time visitors to the island. By the end of the week, seeing how Peter Island has given them the best of the beach, allows them to lounge in the pool chairs & in the pool while the boat captains hang out in the “Club Room”, it’s clear that Peter Island has greatly changed or relaxed the longtime rule that has protected certain areas for resort guests. We understand that there’s revenue to be generated here but veteran and potential new resort guests need to be aware of this shift in priorities. If this statement is incorrect, there was certainly no extra staff to shoo off the “non-belongers” all week and the poor bartenders were drowning in bar customers while also trying to get towels for pool resort guests.
3) By the time we arrived at the Tuesday night dinner buffet (7:15pm), it had been mooooowed down and the dining rooms overcrowded with large parties from visiting yachts. Another resort guest witnessed two boat captains bully the front desk late in the afternoon into allowing them to have dinner that evening. The kitchen was clearly not prepared to feed this many mouths and it was resort guests that suffered the consequence.
4) Another irritating issue was that beach towels were not available when we arrived on the beach most days which is completely unacceptable at a beach resort! The watersports guys are taking the hit from the guests’ irritation for this mismanagement. While the PI ferry is on STT, send someone to Costco to buy some stinking beach towels!
5) We were on island during the storm last Monday (8/7) and our hearts went out to those affected as they showed us personal videos & pictures of the devastation on Tortola and recounted stories of employees that had to sleep in their cars when they got off the late ferry. Many employees were unable to make it to work on Tuesday. This storm in no way had a negative influence on our stay. What did bother us was that we didn’t see any upper management in the trenches pitching in on those difficult, short staffed days except Eric, the Food & Beverage Manager. (we know the GM was off island). This sends a bad message to the staff as well as guests about the level of caring and support in a challenging time.
6) On the morning of our departure, one of the long-time employees (I believe his name is Simmons) was the only person to shake our hands and thank us for coming back to Peter Island. The check-out process at the front desk was purely a financial transaction. When we asked what the transfer procedure to STT would be, she gave us incorrect information. How could the front desk personnel not have a full understanding of the process their departing guests would go through? We have plenty more examples to share that emphasize the lack of staff training in gracious hospitality, logistics as well as geography and history of the BVI’s (including correct knowledge the Wreck of the Rhone on its 150th Anniversary!!). As our return ferry passed Caneel Bay Resort and its pristine beaches, I was reminded of how they treat their guests as cherished and couldn’t help but wish we had just spent our week there. We purposely chose Peter Island over Caneel Bay and several other exotic locations (Bora Bora) so that our friends could experience what we have so dearly loved in the past. But sadly, the bottom-line is we will not return to Peter Island as resort guests with the current standards and philosophy.

Room Tip: If there's seaweed, don't waste your money on a beachfront room!
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
8  Thank BPT
abaker2017, Director of Rooms at Peter Island Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2017

Greetings BPT,
We kindly thank you for you recent review of your time spent on Peter Island. It is truly disappointing to read your comments and I hope to help shed some light on your feedback provided. First, I thank you for your patience in regards to the recent storm that came through the British Virgin Islands. It was devastating for many of our team members and while we worked to restore our beautiful island, it was guests such as yourself that made the extra hour's worth it. I know that I personally was shoveling water from our Welcome Center along with all island managers after the storm. My island team stayed up for over 24 hours working hard to restore the resort. You may not have recognized us, as our attire was not "business professional" that day. We worked alongside our staff that ventured over from Tortola and I know they were very appreciative of our dedication. I do apologize on the shortage of beach towels. With many areas having flooded in the resort, our laundry was delayed after the storm, causing a shortage of towels.
Peter Island has become a special destination for many, including our marina guests. Many of our repeat guests today found out about Peter Island by sailing by or stopping in for a meal. We value all guests and definitely understand the need to ensure our in-house guests are well taken care of. This past year, we designated quiet and relaxing parts of Deadman's Beach specifically for our in-house guests. Although the area outside of the restaurant is open to our marina guests, any in-house guest may use this as well.
We will continue to train our team to ensure all associates are providing the Peter Island service that so many have come to know and expect. Again, your feedback is appreciated and I do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 13 August 2017 via mobile

My husband and I have been to the BVI's several times as "yachties". This year we decided to stay at a resort and chose Peter Island Resort and Spa. Expected a 5 star resort but got a 1-2 star at best. Besides the seaweed being piled up on the beach (BEFORE the big storm on 8/7), the beach chairs were disgusting; broke, stained. On several of the days they ran out of beach towels (2 of those days being BEFORE the big storm on 8/7).
Also, the "yachties" seemed to be much more catered to than the resort guests.
Food was good at Tradewinds but very very limited entrees and repeating menu. Deadmans Grill food better. Rooms clean and nice. Seems to me someone is "dropping the ball" keeping the grounds clean, in good repair. Management staff nowhere to be found after storm, when off island staff couldn't get to island. That would have been the time for "all hands on deck".
We love the BVI's and will return BUT WILL NOT CHOOSE PETER ISLAND RESORT AND SPA.
Looking forward to Little Dix on Virgin Gorda reopening!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Julienne J

Greetings Julienne J,
We appreciate your feedback regarding your recent visit to Peter Island. As mentioned to your travel companions, we appreciate your patience and support throughout the recent storms that developed in the British Virgin Islands last week. I am very proud of the island management team, as they worked countless hours during the storm to ensure Peter Island was restored back to it's original beauty. We are looking at several upgrades to finish the 2017 calendar year and I do hope that we can welcome you back to see our improvements.

Reviewed 8 August 2017

Only spent one night at the resort but the staff was extremely helpful and friendly. The rooms are extremely nice and quiet, plenty of nice beaches, food and beverages were very good. A little price compared to places we have been in the Caribbean, but a nice place to spend a couple days.

Room Tip: Stayed in villa 217
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
abaker2017, Director of Rooms at Peter Island Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2017

Greetings John K,
One night is never enough, but I'm glad you were able to experience our island, even if it was quick! We love to welcome back our guests, so we hope to have you join us again for a longer holiday and wish you pleasant "swaying palm tree" thoughts!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Peter Island
24 km away
Gallows Point Resort
Gallows Point Resort
#2 of 4 in Cruz Bay

Been to Peter Island Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!