Despite some negative reviews, we decided to book at Peter Island for 5 nights, Feb 17th - 22nd, 2012.
What we liked:
- Beautiful paradise-like beaches which are almost for you own.
- There are so many things to do in the island, that even staying 5 days, it was impossible to be bored. Planning the day is a must!
- Hotel had many complimentary offerings: water sports (including a fun hobbie-cat), snorkeling gear, tennis courts, yoga lessons, cheese during sunset, reservations for honeymoon beach, etc..
- The hotel is not packed with rooms or people, so you feel wilderness everywhere. Wherever you go in the island, there is always a sense of solitude and relaxation
- Spa is great with amazing views.
- We had a bottle of Champagne delivered to our room upon arrival
- Complimentary wi-fi reached to our room. No TV in the room (that's positive for us)
- The hotel is not noisy, so even if you go early to bed, you enjoy nice quality of sleeping.
What we didn't like:
- it's quite difficult to get into the island and the hotel doesn't help you with that
- it seems all the good things the hotel has, can be enjoyed by anyone who arrives to spend the day (makes you wonder if it's worth the $ just to sleep in an OK room).
- Despite what other reviews said, we found food to be quite bad (frozen pizzas, sub par beef, average fish... Breakfast was in our opinion, best meal of the day and wasn't anything special anyway (except for the freshly squeezed orange which was truly amazing)
- Transportation vehicles were old, ugly and in bad shape. They should have cute vehicles. Drivers were hardly ever on time even if you requested 2 hours in advance
- Room was quite ok, but bathroom was in really bad shape. There was a dirty and old curtain in our shower instead of glass
- Service, with a couple of exceptions, was horrible. 18% gratuity is included in all F&B, so waiters don't do any extra effort. Nobody welcomed us when we arrived and were asked to come back the following morning for the introduction...In the reception, they were slow and with no iniative. In general, total lack of interest in the guest.
- At the checkout, we found 2 charges that didn't belong to us. They didn't feel bad about it, nor paid excuses. Nobody was interested to hear about our experience.
- Total lack of management. Nobody seems to be in charge of the place, and that shows constantly during your stay. We never met the hotel manager in 5 days.
All in all, we had a terrific time and we don't regret the decision we made.
It's a just a pity to sense what a unique hotel this could be, with just some details, some love, proper management and just some $ spent in refurbishment (especially bathrooms).
If you want to relax and have fun in a beautiful surrounding, this is a great place to go.
If for the price you pay, you expect luxury accommodation, outstanding service and food, I would recommend to look elsewhere.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, lastminute.com.au and Odigeo so you can book your Peter Island Resort and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Peter Island Hotel Peter Island
- Peter Island Resort And Spa British Virgin Islands