All reviews truffle outdoor pool san maurizio beautiful hotel michelin star wine cellar michelin restaurant a special place winding road incredible views a wonderful stay salt pools hill overlooking main building three nights great restaurant living room
Reviewed 29 May 2018

This is a lovely property slightly off the beaten path that proved to be a good choice. Having stayed at several R&C properties, the service level and amenities are up to standard. Beautiful grounds and amenities and spectacular views (it's on a hilltop). I was traveling with a friend and we took separate rooms for 2 nights-- I was in room 11 and she, #15. My room was huge and comfortable, though for anyone with noise sensitivity, it's close enough to the bar and entrance that you might hear a little traffic (it wasn't a problem for me). My friend's room was smaller, but cozy and with a lovely private terrace. Note that room enters from the outside, so if there is inclement weather, you'd have to rush through. Breakfast was simple and offered in a bright room to start the day. The outdoor pool was beautiful-- we had fantastic weather-- and virtually had the place to ourselves. The spa was expansive and worthwhile-- try the salt walk that comes with access. We didn't eat at the on site restaurant so can't comment there, but the staff was super friendly and helpful in suggesting local restaurants to grab a meal. Perhaps because of the location, this was one of the less expensive R&C properties I've stayed in-- if I ever find myself in the area again, I'd definitely return.

Room Tip: See my comments
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 May 2018

The hotel is very pretty and the gardens are lovely. We stayed three nights in the Sapphire Suite - it was lovely and spacious. One oddity though, despite having a kitchen with oven and hob, it was not possible to prepare even the most basic food as there are no plates, pans or pots provided - just lots of empty kitchen cupboards! We've stayed in a number of suites with kitchenettes in the past and this is the first time we've been unable to use the kitchen.
The spa is really lovely and wasn't crowded when we were there. We had a number of treatments and all were good.
We had mixed feelings about the restaurant - the staff were very friendly, my husband really enjoyed what he had, but I think I must have ordered badly, as my food didn't seem worthy of a Michelin star.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 May 2018 via mobile

My husband and I escaped to the relais San Maurizio to get away from work and our kids and the place is stunningly beautiful, the food is amazing, the spa a great relax: we hope to be able to have another romantic getaway there soon!!

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 May 2018 via mobile

We stayed here four nights and loved it. Beautiful views from our room which was organized by Giada as well as the majority of our dinner and lunch reservations. Grazie Millie Giada for all your outstanding service and help in making our stay perfecto!!! The breakfast is excellent and the staff is extremely helpful starting with Ivana, Fabio and Karina. The location is close to other hill towns as we had our car. We had room service our first night and the food was delicious. Thank you everyone at the hotel for making our stay at your hotel a highlight of our trip to Piedmont. Highly recommended for an outstanding hotel in Piedmont

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 May 2018 via mobile

We stopped 2 nights at this property, which is in a beautiful location and the buildings and outdoor areas are excellent. Many staff were helpful and efficient (especially in the restaurant and spa) but 3 or 4 others were outright rude and unhelpful (incl reception and bar). The outdoor swimming pool and areas were closed and room aircon not available notwithstanding 27c but simply because "it's not summer".
The spa is lovely and the salt room experience outstanding (no charge to residents just boom ahead).
The restaurant experience was mixed, great starters and deserts but the beef entrecote we had was so tough as to be inedible. The second night we ate out in a recommended hillside restaurant about 4km away from the hotel, which was lovely, but the hotel organised taxi (for 4) was a shocking 110 euro on the bill!
Some lovely aspects to the hotel, but we won't be back as everyone else in Italy and France we stopped with showed us appreciation for our business whereas this hotel appeared not to care.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank David N
SanMaurizio1619, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Relais San Maurizio, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2018

Dear Mr. David N.,

Thank you for sharing your opinion.

Due to an unexpected rise of the temperature, - as our system works in a global way and it takes time to re-set it from the heating to the air conditioning mode - we were a bit late in providing the latter on time and prepare the swimming pool for our Guests.

We apologize as you did not fully appreciate our Truffle Bistrot: in this case, we suggest to talk to the Maitre at the moment to better highlight what dish was not as expected.

We are glad though you enjoyed the second night dinner. We are sorry for the misunderstanding concerning the transfer's rate, and thanks to your note we will make sure to publish the rates on our website.
In any case, we would like to underline that the distance was 15 km per way, and not just 4 as kindly stated.

Last but not least, we would like to underline that our House is located atop a hill and we do try to provide our Guests with all kinds of services, but it is not always so easy as it could be downtown or in a major city center.

We do truly hope you might reconsider the fact that our House did not care about you, which is absolutely far from reality.
We do highly appreciate all our Guests and strive daily to provide a first-class service to them all.

Looking forward to welcoming you again, we send you our

Warmest regards,