All reviews beach front beachfront room west end long bay seaside villas full moon party beautiful beach jost van dyke private balcony garden view laid back cane garden bay small hotel rented a car soper's hole sailing trip surfers
Reviewed 4 December 2016 via mobile

MY BACKPACK ADVENTURE PART 3:

I chose this place because of its location on the beach. This was my first time to the island, so I had no idea of the area and what to expect. I was not impressed by the exterior, nor the area. (Please note, coming from St. John the previous day, perhaps spoiled my opinion a bit.) Even so, if I didn't visit the lush St. John prior, I would have the same opinion. I am funny about esthetics, so I was disappointed about the outside structure. I think they need to spruce things up on the wooden fences, building walls, however the little courtyard garden area was quaint and colorful. It shows especially well in the evening. I was nervous about the interior, even with the pictures from the Internet. I was however, thankful that the bathroom was remodeled and the floors were fairly new, along with the throw rugs. The fridge needs to be replaced, but that was minor. No matter how fancy or frugel my accommodations, I have the same rule - don't sit on the bed spreads without a towel or something before hand. Though things looked clean, I placed a towel down anyhow. They have little store inside the lobby area, which is very useful if you want a small snack, water, etc. You can rent water sports gear at the front desk, arrange for taxi or get more details on recommendations listed in the book in your room. Additionally, they have restaurant located on the beach, that's a separate review, since this place is famous for the area.

Now, the reason for my booking - the beach! The water was turquoise blue and warm, the sand like sugar, but there was little to be desired about the layout and uninvited guests. The lounge chairs need to be replaced, and the foliage from the trees on the ledge need to be cleared from the sand. Those pesky uninvited four-legged guest, put a slight damper on my beach experience. First day there and I saw dogs roaming on the beach...I can't stand dogs on the beach. They don't belong there, and if they "go", who's cleaning it up. We walk barefoot on the sand people, keep your dogs in the dog park. That prevented me from taking a dip...waited until the next day. I went early in the AM, when there was no one else out on the beach.

As for the staff, they were all wonderful - this made my stay worth it! I appreciate their kindheartedness, and was thrilled to have met them. If you're a budget traveler, back-packer and don't mind dogs on the beach, this is the place for you.

Note: My apologies for not getting exterior pics.

Stayed: December 2016
Reviewed 2 December 2016 via mobile

We arrived early after traveling all night and management was kind enough to turnover our room quickly after the other guests departed. We were in room 40, a tropical garden room on the second floor. It obviously had been renovated, but was rather small although comfortable. The mattress was comfortable. There was a tiny fridge, microwave and coffee maker, and a convenience store at reception. This room was not set up for cooking, just convenience...too small. Could have used some hooks on the walls to hang items, especially in the bathroom.

The bath was remodeled with a basic vanity. Showerhead was very low flow; there are low flow showerheads with wider sprays and better pressure than these. They provided decent shampoo and soap.

Rainfall and things falling from the trees were loud on the metal roof and roosters crowed starting at about 4am onward. Otherwise the garden area was quiet. The garden is on the opposite side of the road from the beach, 1 minute walk at most.

The restaurant was very good especially for dinner.

The beach was narrow and the water rough for swimming, but good for surfing and body surfing with the large waves.

The hotel was a 10 minute walk up and down a hill to Long Bay Beach Club and 20-25 minutes further easy walk to Smugglers Cove, which had a tiny snack shack - Nigel's. The waves there were smaller and calmer than at the hotel.

The west end ferry dock was a 10 minute drive and the launching point for ferries to Jost van Dyke, 25 minutes trip. This is a nice day trip to a white sand beach for snorkeling off the beach.

All in all Sebastian's was clean, relaxing, and basic, but the beach wasn't so much fun if you prefer swimming or snorkeling.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 November 2016 via mobile

We booked a room with booking.com for $120 for one night, when we arrived at reception we had to wait until 3 pm to be able to check in, when speaking the receptionist she was rude and ignored us when we asked questions.
when we finally checked in we had to pay a ten percent service charge even though the service was terrible and the staff were rude.
On top of that they made us pay a "per stay fee" of $15 which is ridiculous as you pay to stay anyway. With tax on top it ended up being far more expensive than advertised.
Upon booking the room online it said there was an airport shuttle, when i asked about it at reception i was told that "its a common mistake because there is a taxi firm with the same name" which is total rubbish.
The room itself seemed clean at first but the shower was full of old hair (as pictured) and the room full of mosquitoes, on closer inspection of the room everything was dusty and dirty incuding dirty mirrors and dust everywhere.
The outside door did not fit properly hence the mosquitos.
All in all a terrible hotel as its a $50 taxi to the airport which made a room which should have cost $120 almost double with having to get taxis etc.
I would strongly advise anyone who is looking for a hotel to avoid this place, im not fussy when it comes to hotels or service for that matter but when everything is taken into consideration its dreadful.
To sumarise: rude and lazy staff. Over priced for a dirty hotel room. Location is ok because its by the sea, but thats the only positive i could come up with. I will not be surprised if im diagnosed with zika virus within a few days as i was eaten alive by mosquitoes

We stayed in other hotels on the island which were far cheeper, cleaner, better located, nicer staff

Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
4  Thank benedict n
Reviewed 13 November 2016

We stayed here for two nights this year and really enjoyed the food in the restaraunt. It's a perfect surfing location and beautiful beach. The hotel room, however was in need of some updates. Broken towel racks, light fixtures, etc. some cosmetic fixes would do wonders for this place. Our room was on the first floor and had mosquitos as well which was disappointing. We will definitely eat here again but probably not stay for the night.

Room Tip: Probably ask for upstairs. There might be fewer bugs
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kate L
James B, General Manager at Sebastian's on the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2016

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind words regarding our restaurant. I am sorry your experience with your room was not to your satisfaction, I presume that you stayed in one of our tropical yard rooms, there are twelve of them in total of which nine were completely renovated this summer, unfortunately we ran out of time to finish the remaining three. I am also sorry to hear about the mosquitos in your room, the region can experience a lot of rainfall during the month of November which increases the mosquito population, the room can be sprayed if necessary by contacting the front desk.

Reviewed 6 November 2016 via mobile

I've always liked Sebastian's as a place to sit for a relaxed lunch and look at a sea so blue and bright it hurts your eyes.

I had honey stung chicken which was as good as I've had anywhere, with nice crisp batter.

My companion had the Caesar Salad which was apparently pretty heavy on the garlic.

Recommended.