“GAMBERI was bland and headless”
Review of Valentino Italian Bistro - CLOSED

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 26 June 2013

We were told this was the best Italian restaurant in St Maarten. The GAMBERI was blah and tastyeless, I have been to New Orleans and had head on shrimp (very fresh and a special treat). The GAMBERI was large shrimp you can get anywhere and the sauce was equally bland. The cost did not match the quality... My wife had the FETTUCCINE PORCINI e SPINACI and described the taste as blah and did seem very fresh. Would not recommend Valentino's to anyone...

Date of visit: June 2013
1  Thank StanWash

Reviewed 6 June 2013

Valentinos is small italian restaurant located in simpson bay that serves exquisite italian food. This is the 3rd time I visit St. Maarten and never do I forget to stop by Valentinos and indulge on some fantastic Italian delicacy. I've searched everywhere in Miami for a chicken parmigiana that can even compare to the dish served at Valentinos, and yet nothing. It makes me never want to have italian food ever again unless its from Valentinos! and lets talk about the setting.... its quiet, romantic, and the decor gives you a feel of the movies back in the 1950s. Just thinking of the food makes my mouth water!! if you're looking for a quiet place with delicious homemade food, VALENTINOS IS THE PLACE. Plus it is located on the marina which gives you the ability to have a nice walk after your meal

Date of visit: June 2013
Reviewed 17 April 2013

We were a little set back when we walked in at 7:00 and we were the only ones in the restaurant. This was a gem of a find. Wonderful homemade pastas, many of my high maintenance guests ordered off the menu or asked for something special and they were very accommodating. Salads, entrees, desserts, wine, grappa and coffee and creme brulee were all wonderful. Only dissapointing thing was the credit card connection didn't work, kinda of annoying when you spend that much for a meal then have to scrape the money together to pay for it.

Date of visit: April 2013
Reviewed 12 April 2013

We have been coming to St. Maarten for 10 years and should have known better, but...We were on our way to eat at one of our favorite Italian restaurants in the Maho area but it was closed (it was a Sunday night). So we headed back toward our timeshare and still in the mood for Italian food decided to stop at Valentino and give it a try. The place was eerily empty, but so far all the places have been in the short 4 days we have been here.

Menu looked appetizing and we thought we were in for a good treat. However that's where whatever promise existed came to an end. We ordered two appetizers - Rice Balls and Fried Mozzarella (how can you screw these up??). well they found a way as it seemed like these were taking out of the freezer and nuked in the microwave. They served these with a mayonnaise dressing instead of a marinara - we asked for marinara and 10 minutes later came the sauce which tasted like it was 5 steps below Ragu. Onto the main course now - the dishes arrived looking decent.

One of us had Gnocchi Bologenese, another Bracciole and I ordered Chicken Parmigiana. The Bolognese was the best (which doesn't say much out of all three) - it was edible which is more than I can say for the other two dishes. The Barcciole arrived looking like our fried appetizers and my Mom who had the dish said it looked like a "turd", which I cannot disagree with. According to her it did not taste any better. My Chicken Parmigiana tasted sour - some real weird taste and it also probably was nuked. The chicken was a weird shape kind of resembling a few Tyson Chicken nuggets/tenders arranged together. The pasta on the side, no lie, was about 5 pieces of spaghetti. I sent mine back and when the check came the server said the owner took 1/2 off. Sent it back with him to get it all taken off since the meal was inedible. Check came back all scribbled and it seemed like there was a bloated service charge which amounted to an additional $4-5 charge - wanting to get out of there as quick as possible so we just paid it and left.

There are so many good choices on St. Maarten, even within walking distance of this restaurant. I am hoping this closes down and opens up as another restaurant that serves edible food. Avoid this one like the plague - do not go!!!!

Date of visit: January 2013
Reviewed 10 April 2013

We heard about this place from our italian friends living here on the Island. We just ask "where can we find a place to eat like our grandmothers cook?" The answer was quick and easy. The only place is "Valentino", tipical italian restaurant in the heart of Simpson Bay. Home made delicious fresh pasta and arancini (very rare to find all over the world). One time you try-you never gonna regret it. Was the best choise if you like the real italian cuisine. Whats more?yes this is the only place you can drink authentic espresso and cappuccino....thanks to our friend Silvia.

Date of visit: April 2013