“Good red sauce”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 31 March 2013

My husband and I would split rate this restaurant. He would give it a "very good". We have dined here twice before on a previous trip. It was so good, we went back a 2nd time. We went this time and was greeted by a closed door which was unusual, but it seems the waiter/host/bartender was one person that night and the door was probably closed as to not invite additional people in. We were seated in a comfortable semi-circle booth which could be combined with others to seat many more. I was not offered a wine list. I blindly ordered a chardonnay since it seemed he may have been overwhelmed. We ordered a caesar salad to split, veal parm and chicken parm. The caesar salad came with dressing and croutons on the side. I was not thrilled with the portion size or the fact I had to make it myself. It doesn't taste as good unless it is tossed in the dressing, in my opinion. I believe this was $13. I had debated ordered the beef carpacio, which was $16, and now I wish I did. My husband ordered his cocktail but it came incorrect but we did not bother to tell the solo server. Bread came to the table, no butter or oil offered. I waited until he went in the kitchen and took the olive oil off the server station. My husband attempted conversation with the server, but clearly he had too much to do. Despite this, our meals came out quickly. The red sauce is rich and sweet and absolutely delicious. The sauce had more flavor than what we had at IZI a few nights earlier (IZI was good, too, but different). My husband enjoyed his veal parm. My chicken parmesan was not as tender as I like, I am not sure if it was pounded too thin or maybe not exactly fresh but it wasn't great. We did not order dessert. Our bill, when converted into US (menu is in euros) was $90, which I think was steep for what we had. My husband paid without me looking at the bill, so I am not sure if there was a service charge/tax/or tip attached to it which sometimes happens in St.. Martin. Despite my whining, we will return again in a future trip. I will order gnocci or spaghetti and meatballs in order to get some more of that delicious red sauce. I am hoping they are more help next time so the gorgeous italian server has more time to chat me up with his awesome accent.

Reviewed 27 March 2013

Italians living abroad, exciting and not always easy...but it was Valentino Restaurant that gave me the best opportunity to enjoy my Italian culture during an evening when I wanted to offer to my dear mother a true Italian experience.
The best choice! Great fresh homemade pasta, antipasti with excellent selections, a wonderful Italian wine from S.Antimo (Toscana) and a cozy and elegant atmosphere where we relaxed and enjoyed one of the the joys of life!
Absolutely suggested.

Reviewed 14 March 2013

We heard about Valentino's from our hotel owner and decided to give it a try. As we entered there was a table of six people who told us to try the lasagna. After having dried out lasagna at Izy's I ordered the lasagna so I could compare. There was absolutely no comparison! Valentino's lasagna is absolutely delicious. We went to eat there 3 times out of the 12 days we were in St. Maarten. All 3 times we had wonderful meals. Ricardo, the owner, is reserved but efficient and really cares about his restaurant. Our last day in St. Maarten we told him we would be back for dinner and he told my husband to try the mussels. Delicious and there were a lot of them! The restaurant is in the Simpson Bay Yacht Club and is small so it's not usually crowded, except our last day when it was totally full. Go to Valentino's to eat - it's wonderful!

Reviewed 14 March 2013

I like this place for 2 things,theh
e food is excellent,eggplantparm is my favoritem wine selection aswell...
I ve bee there twice,my friends were very happy to discover that place

Reviewed 7 March 2013

Valentino's is a must go to in St. Maarten. Ricardo and Linda are gracious and welcoming hosts who, with their new chef, serve wonderful classic Italian meals. I have gone there twice a week every trip to ST M and those trips are three times a year for the past 6 years.

The menu is somewhat small, but the selection and taste keep me coming back for more. This year, four visits to date, I've had: spaghetti w/ porcini mushrooms and spinach, linguini w/ seafood, chicken parmigiano w/ spaghetti, and off the menu, pasta w/ garlic and oil extra spicy! And, I always have a glass or two of good house wine, bread and occasionally an appetizer.
If you don't see a favorite of yours just ask and if the ingredients are there: no problem.

The restaurant is small and usually there's music/video playing among the 100+ photos of movie stars(Rudolph Valentino-get it?). Yes, it is slightly difficult to find, but it is in a busy and safe location. It can be empty during low season, but you will still get what you pay for and more.
Last visited March 5, 2013