“Love this place and it's staff. So glad it survived Irma and can be repaired quickly enough to partially re-open soon.”

Mary's Boon Beach Resort and Spa
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Simpson Bay
Reviewed 9 September 2017

My husband and I had a heavenly 3 night stay here in June. Were thrilled to find a place that I could navigate with a medical boot on each foot, and could see the water from our room.

From the moment we arrived, we were charmed. From the 2 resident dogs asleep on the lobby floor, to the delightful hammock under a coconut palm along the interior garden sidewalk, to the relaxing chairs outside each room, to the kind, attentive staff, we knew we could rest here.

Our room was 109, which along with 110 is in the wooden building on the ground floor at the far end, and sadly was destroyed the other day by monster hurricane Irma, but we are thrilled to learn that plans are to rebuild this section, stronger, as soon as possible.
This room was great for my impaired condition, as I could walk to it without stairs, and it's bathroom had a spacious shower with grab bars.
The king size bed was very comfortable, and I also appreciated the quality futon for relaxing in the living room area. The kitchenette was a great feature with its full size refrigerator - very handy - and had a good spacious adjacent area for sitting or eating.
I was able to enjoy this room's view of the turquoise waters of Simpson Bay while my husband was out walking the beach, swimming, and watching airplanes; and there was even a sweet, friendly resident kitty who stopped by when I showed it some attention.

Thank you, staff of Mary's Boon, for a wonderful stay, and may God bless each of you as your special island recovers from Irma.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Thrifty3
GM Tony T, General Manager at Mary's Boon Beach Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2017

So happy to hear you had a great time at Mary's Boon. Hurricane Irma was horrible for the hotel and Island however everyone at the hotel was safe, even the dogs and cats! We do have some substantial damage at the hotel and waiting for the ok to start the clean up and rebuilding from Gov. No date yet to reopen, a few rooms could be ready fairly soon and the beach is already in better and better shape. Hopefully 75% by Mid Nov but still to early to say for sure. Thanks again and please do keep us in mind for the next time!

Reviewed 8 September 2017

I travel through SXM for work very regularly. I've probably stayed at 10 different places around Maho beach and Simpson bay. Mary's Boon is by far my favorite. It's a quirky little place, run by some very friendly people. During the high season the restaurant is in full swing and it is great as well. Each room is a bit different so the prices vary. Very convenient to all of the dining and nightlife of Simpson bay, but with virtually no vehicle traffic. The place is literally right next to the SXM runway, so you will certainly hear the traffic from the jets, but for me that's part of the fun. They even have a nice airport observation deck!

Room Tip: I think the best rooms are the beach view garden rooms at the very end of the hotel
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
3  Thank brett w
Reviewed 30 August 2017 via mobile

We checked in last night as a final stay in our two week honeymoon to the island. The hotel is boutique and beautiful. We read some of the negative reviews posted a few days ago and can't disagree more. Check in was seem less. The room is oceanfront and very clean. The bed is a California king and is so comfortable. We ate in the restaurant onsite last night and shared the seafood linguini and filet. Both were excellent. The steak was perfectly prepared and the mashed potatoes with cranberries and pecans were hand made. The wine list was just what we were looking for. Our stay so far has been perfectly romantic.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Chris M
GM Tony T, General Manager at Mary's Boon Beach Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2017

Very happy to hear you had a great time at Mary's Boon! Hope to see you again and again. Thanks for the visit.

Reviewed 29 August 2017

After reading some reviews on here I am amazed at what some people are saying about this hotel.
We stayed there again for 17 day back in May 2017, and I can't wait to go back next year, yes we really and honestly do find it that good.
In all the times we have returned there we have never found it to be dirty....ever. In fact I had a crazy accident when a full pack of caribs fell through the bottom of the pack and crashed on the floor, within minutes staff were there sweeping up the glass for us and mopping the floor and making sure we were ok. And first thing the next morning the cleaner came around and did it all again....just perfect service.
It probably does look dated to someone who stays in the high rise hotels, but thats the point, the character and atmosphere is truly Caribbean. With the beautiful tropical gardens and sea views to die for.
I agree with the comments of some that while we were there we have met some fantastic people and made friends for life.Even down to trying to get back on the same dates so we can meet up again.
The staff are out of this world, so very friendly and helpful, no problems at all.
Every taxi we got was around the same price, around 12 dollars. Thats what we paid from the airport to Marys and they have no control over calling that cab, its just outside the airport. As for being woken by planes in the middle of the night is so untrue, they never fly after 10 at night and start at 7 in the morning. No Im sorry, I just had to just stand up for this hotel, we have had the best holidays ever here, and we come all the way from England.
We will be back next year, and that will be our 5th time in 5 years, surly that must tell you something.
For us it really does tick all the boxes, It's a fantastic genuine place with lots of character and romance. Please do not let the bad reviews put you off, I know everyone has an opinion, and rightly so, but honestly my wife and I can not fault Mary's Boon at all.
Just to say I have no connections with the hotel apart from being a customer, and a very happy one at that. We will always stay here if and when we visit Saint Martin.

Room Tip: Get a room at beach level, they are awesome.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
5  Thank 696kevbell

Thanks for your visit and happy to hear you had a great time at Mary's Boon and thanks for the kind words. The staff does work hard everyday to make sure each guests has the best visit possible. Of course you always have haters that are even happy at home in many cases. Are we perfect? No. Do we have some off days that nothing goes right? Sure. Are there rooms that cost more and nicer than others? Of course...like any hotel. We have a great staff at a great little Caribbean Hotel on a wonderful white sand beach. Its Paradise to most and we look forward to seeing you again! Thanks!

Reviewed 25 August 2017

This place is dirty and old and it smells bad. Please do your research before booking this hotel. This place is very dirty and it was difficult to stay in one night. Luckily, we only needed to stay there one night. There is no way I could have stayed any longer. PLEASE do not stay here unless you do not mind staying in a dirty hotel with dirt on floors and hair in the shower where it was not cleaned. If I had my kids with me, I would not have stayed there it was that dirty. It was also so loud that I could not sleep with the roaring planes at night and the wifi did not work. All around a zero hotel, I would not even rate it a one.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
GM Tony T, Front Office Manager at Mary's Boon Beach Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2017

This is totally fake. Reader beware of the reviewer and notice how often they review. This so called guest is either planted to post bad stuff or just Bogus. Is the hotel perfect? No...very few are. The issue here is the reviewer not the hotel. Please read all the great wonderful reviews and we look forward to seeing you at Mary's Boon soon.

Kind Regards, GM

6.6 km away
Horizon View Beach Hotel
Horizon View Beach Hotel
#8 of 12 in Philipsburg

Been to Mary's Boon Beach Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!