“Tropical Rainforest Paradise”

Fond Doux Plantation & Resort
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 8 March 2012

What a treat staying here! Fond Doux is an active coco plantation, the guest rooms/cottages are spread out through what feels like the rainforest. We stayed in the Tree House, which apparently is one of their best rooms. It had a gorgeous view, a beautiful lounge area attached to the bedroom that’s completely open in design, and a small private pool. They have two restaurants on site, both are good and their rum punch is the best we tried on the island. The owners live on the plantation and are very friendly and busy maintaining the beautiful plantation! We had a fantastic experience here and would definitely return.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Fonddoux, Owner at Fond Doux Plantation & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2012

THANKFUL FOR YOUR TROPICAL RAINFOREST PARADISE REVIEW!

On behalf of the entire team at Fond Doux Holiday Plantation, we would like to thank you for your positive feedback.
We strive to offer a truly authentic Caribbean experience and we hope that your review will help future guests choose the right hotel to suit them.
We eagerly await your return, and will do our utmost to ensure that your next experience is just as favorable as your last.

Best Regards
Eroline & Lyton Lamontagne

Reviewed 4 March 2012

We were surprised at how much we enjoyed our stay. All of the staff at this resort went the extra mile to make our stay pleasant. The accomodations are very private and each is unique. We stayed in African Tulip, and later found out that the cabin had been purchased and transported to Fond Doux. The swimming pool is small but clean and in a gorgeous location. There is a nice size library with deck chairs in an enclosed area for folks who aren't lounge lizzards, but who want to be outdoors. the restaurant has amazing atmosphere, The food was good, the wine delicious, the coffee very good (if you ask for strong coffee they make it specially for you). The breakfast buffet is included and consisted of scrambled eggs, meats, cereals, pastried, juices, etc. perfect, and again, in a lovely building. The grounds are kept in excellent shape and we loved the flowers and birds. The hiking around the plantation is worth doing but you will need proper shoes as the trail can be rough. Great value for money at this location...highly recommended.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are individual cabins. There is a room, with mosquito netting, a lovely rain shower...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Fonddoux, Owner at Fond Doux Plantation & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2012

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TASTY REVIEW OF OUR RAINFOREST.

Thank you for such a wonderful review of your recent stay at Fond Doux Holiday Plantation.

Enjoyment of good food, wine and a relaxing bed are the mainstays of any quality hotel establishment, eclipsed only by the level of service and attention by staff – which was clearly evident during your stay.

We are committed to guests’ satisfaction and try our best to ensure that we provide services and amenities that our guests will enjoy. We are delighted to know that your overall expectations were exceeded and that you enjoyed your time here with us.

Best Regards
Eroline& Lyton Lamontagne

Reviewed 27 February 2012

Great destination.Unique and authentic accommodations. Private cottages in lush surroundings. Nice tour of plantation. The kids loved the pool. Many thanks to a great and helpful staff who assured we had a awesome holiday, including Omo, Indira, Katrina and Jerome. HIghly recommend.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Fonddoux, Owner at Fond Doux Plantation & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 29 February 2012

Thank you for the great recommendation.

We are very pleased that you had an awesome and memorable experience and that your overall expectations were exceeded.

we look forward to welcoming you back soon, and appreciate your support of Fond Doux Holiday Plantation.

Best Regards,
Lyton & Eroline Lamontagne

Reviewed 20 February 2012

2 weeks ago I returned from St Lucia. I’ve been to the Caribbean before: Antigua, Grenada, Barbados. I am a very demanding type, a typical middle-aged neurotic female and have a very specific number of requirements for the places I stay. These are: tranquillity, beautiful surroundings, lots of greenery, picturesque landscape, NO horrible concrete buildings (a requirement which excludes the entire Canaries region from my travels), a friendly but invisible service, total peace, no view of the neighbours (which by definition excludes ALL hotels all over the world :-)), reasonable price, good security, good local food, close proximity to the sea and above all, authenticity. This sounds like an impossible list – but Fond Doux Plantation has scored 10 out of 10 on all these requirements. Let me describe this incredible place.

For a start, the plantation is quite large – about 115 acres. It consists of the most beautiful tropical forest, and includes lots of fruit trees. Fond Doux is primarily cocoa plantation – so cocoa trees are in abundance. I arrived at about 6pm - just as it was getting dark. I always hire a car wherever I go – I like to be independent and not depend on any public transport or taxis. I rented my 4 wheel drive from a local company Drive-a-Matic – at a reasonable 60 US dollars a day. After a pleasant 40 min drive from the airport along the most picturesque road framed by the palm-trees and with glimpses of the mountains and the sea, just 10 min before reaching the main town of Soufriere I turned into the Fond Doux Plantation. When I switched the engine off, the first thing that I noticed was the most amazing chorus of crickets, frogs and some other night creatures. This is how it feels:
For me, used to the cacophony of the traffic noise of central London and police sirens, this was like a balm on the stressed and tired bunch of nerves. Standford, the friendly security guy, met me with a huge smile and showed where to park. He then directed me to the little reception house nearby. I was warmly greeted by Indira, who gave me the keys and explained about the rules re: breakfast, etc. I was then escorted by Standford to my little house located at the end of the absolutely enchanting path lit by little lights and leading through the rain forest. About 200 yards I’d say. When I walked into my cottage, it felt like coming home. It’s an ecologist’s dream – local materials (bamboo, red cedar, wicker furniture) and has the most beautiful roof construction made of thin wood planks. A lovely generous bathroom with plenty of towels. A fantastic terrace with a hummock and two comfortable wicker chairs overlooking the rain forest and distant mountains. And totally, blissfully isolated from any other dwellings. I just couldn’t believe it - I was alone in the midst of a heavenly garden! My first move was to sit on the terrace and have a bottle of the cold Carib beer from the minibar, listening to the night chorus of various forest creatures. All accumulated irritation and stress of a typical urban neurotic had vanished as if by magic. I felt absolutely and blissfully happy.

I had my supper at the plantation’s restaurant called Jardin Cacao. I am not a big eater so quite hopeless in reviewing food but I was very impressed by the menu consisting of local produce with nothing imported. I think that ingredients for most of the vegetable and fruit dishes are grown on the plantation. Which means that they are totally organic and wholesome. I love sea-food and the menu had it in abundance – all of it caught locally. The only small complaint is that the menu hasn’t changed for the whole week – but there was enough in it for me to have a different dish every day. The service at the restaurant is excellent, with waitresses attending to your every need quickly and with a smile.

Next morning I spent exploring the plantation. It is like a huge orchard, and has mango, cocoa, coconut, papaya, nutmeg, grapefruit, oranges, banana, and other fruit-bearing trees. With its wonderful tropical flower blossoms it looks just like one imagines the garden of Eden. The estate is positioned on a slope, quite high in the mountains, and so the cottages are scattered high and low, creating the most enchanting variety of views and landscapes. Each cottage is far enough from the others as to create a state of a total peace and tranquillity without feeling too isolated. There is a WiFi near the reception with a good signal and you can get a signal at the open restaurant, too. The staff are courteous and friendly – one feels like part of the family. Your stay includes a complimentary tour around the plantation – and I learned the most fascinating things about growing and producing the cocoa (used for making chocolate), and about growing fruit trees. I bet you didn’t know that a banana tree grows for 9 months, then goes into a fruition for 3 months and then when banana crop is gathered, is chopped right to the ground – whereupon it starts growing again.

The estate has a complimentary shuttle to the beautiful Jalouise beach positioned between the awesome Pitons – the two great mountains flanking the beach. I didn’t use it as I had a car but I guess the shuttle is really useful if one doesn’t. One day I was warmly greeted by the plantation’s owners Lyton and Eroline. Lyton took me around showing the cottages and I was truly impressed by their authentic quality and detailing. As an architect I really appreciate the workmanship and the cottages are constructed by local labor with the use of traditional material and techniques. It is due to the owners’ enthusiasm and hard work that the estate seems to flourish as one of the best organic farms in the Caribbean. Prince Charles visited the estate in 2008, as he is interested in organic farming and you can tell from the photographs that he was really interested by what he saw.

I am not the type who rates a resort by the quality of gym facilities, sun-lounge, swimming pool or night entertainment. In fact, I hate all the above things. But if you are the type of traveller who enjoys peace, tranquillity, authentic values, friendly staff, a truly stunning location, lovely cottages built of local materials, organic food, beautiful gardens, absolutely breathtaking views of the Pitons on the way to the beach and general feeling of being in Paradise – Fond Doux Plantation is for you. (and yes, it’s got a lovely swimming pool)

This is the video of Jalousie Beach and you can see what I mean by going on about Paradise. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlGFvyh5XeE The saxophone was part of the scene – played by a Rastafarian guy near the cafe.

Staying at Fond Doux was the best holiday I’ve ever had. Many thanks to all the staff who were all really friendly and helpful. I will definitely be coming back and bringing my family – my husband is feeling terribly envious and regrets that he let me go on my own this time!

PS They have the best rum-punch I’ve ever tasted!

PPS Trip Advisor now has a category called "fitness center" - this is unfair on those places which by definition don't have ones - why would a working cocoa plantation have a gym? And anyway, it's really sad when people go on holidays and spend time on ghastly step-machines - the whole point of the holidays is to get fit by walking miles and swimming! I think that Trip Advisor should get rid of this category, as it's often not applicable.

Room Tip: Look at the description on Fond Doux Estate site - they have very fair descriptions of the cottages...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank Artist777
Fonddoux, Owner at Fond Doux Plantation & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2012

100 PERCENT THANKS

Sometimes we feel so blest and honoured to be able to meet such extraordinary guests from around the world that touch our lives in such a meaningful way. We recognise that everyone searches for something different and in our challenging and modern world of today to be able to match this criteria and to be genuinely appreciated sparks a triumph for all of our Fonddoux Family.

The chord of authenticity and maintaining that balance is an achievement which we highly appreciate. The eco rainforest and the organic plantation with the myriad and teeming birdlife that produce such soothing and unique sounds at night does produce a veritable paradise. .

We will continue our best to maintain the integral architecture which you enjoyed and also the experience of an authentic St.Lucia and will do our utmost to ensure that your next experience is even better than the last as we strive to define this paradise niche.

We thank you for your gracious support.

Best Regards: Lyton and Eroline Lamontagne

Reviewed 18 February 2012

My husband and I stayed here in February of this year.We were brought by our Taxi driver, to see the place as we arrived in St Lucia without any bookings.Right away, I loved it! Our Cottage was up on a hill overlooking the rainforest, so gorgeous ,with a large veranda with rocking chairs, what more could you want?And ,yes it is a hike and not for the feeble of body, but that is where the charm comes in.It is a bargain in comparison to Ladera or Jalousie Plantation.Both in my opinion , so overpriced! Not sure if I would go back to St Lucia , as I love to walk on beaches, and there is only one at Jalousie, Fond Doux offers free transport every day , but it is just a bit uncomfortable as the security there obviously see's us as intruders and are always standing watching us. The Beaches are public in St Lucia or Jalousie would never allow this , I am sure, unless your pay the big bucks to stay there.
All in all we loved our stay and enjoyed the food in their restaurant .Food is expensive on St Lucia and Fond Doux's prices were in line with many other restaurants.
We had some water problems way up in our cottage , but they looked after it immediately and always with a smile!
We would recommend Fond Doux to anyone who is looking for a rustic , real holiday. Oh yes, comfortable bed (King Size) and great towels.

Room Tip: If you don't mind the up hill hike, the cottages on the hill are fantastic!

FRIENDLY AND CHARMING REVIEW APPRECIATED

Heartfelt thanks from the management and staff of Fonddoux Holiday Plantation for your charming review.

These hilltop cottages are perched in the rainforest with panoramic views of the mountains and are particularly appreciated for their promotion of a healthy lifestyle. Our more health conscious guests burn off calories just walking up to these cottages and can appreciate the numerous fruit trees and flowers on this rainforest vista. The avid bird watchers encounter fantastic bird species darting among the foliage of this fertile plantation just how nature and God intended.

As you rightly stated our beaches are public and St.Lucians are generally friendly, the security guards basically do their work which is to ensure that guests can relax in safety.

We continue to promote health and wellbeing in our organic restaurants and are happy to note your comments about our "Jardin Cacao" Restaurant. " All in all we loved our stay" pretty well sums it up and once again we thank you for your patronage and hope to host you once again in the future.

Best Regards: Lyton and Eroline Lamontagne

Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
5.5 km away
#5 of 11 in Soufriere
27.6 km away
Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort

Recently Reviewed Hotels around Soufriere

Been to Fond Doux Plantation & Resort? Share your experiences!