1,274 results
All reviewshillside deluxeair conditioningbeach levelvegetarian restaurantjade mountaintreehouse restaurantbeach grilljungle bikingmeal planst luciascuba divingpremium roomdive shopdive staffopen airdive masterour honeymoon
Reviewed 26 November 2008

WOW!!!!! What a hotel. The people, the place, the food, the beach, the rooms, where does it end, or where do i start, it was all exactly what we all dream of when thinking of the "perfect honeymoon". From the moment we arrived at Hewanora Airport, we were greeted with smiles by representatives of the hotel. We were immediately boarded on to a private shuttle, and took the hour long ride along the beautiful St. Lucia coast along the carribean sea while also passing through a whole bunch of their small towns. The views were breathtaking. When we arrived at the hotel we were greeted with a complimentary special drink and everyone was smiliing and very friendly. Still in shock we went to reception and found out that we had been upgraded. Room 7F is the best! It has the view of both the Piton mountains and the beach. It's a good 400 steps up from the beach but it's more than worth it. the view is breathtaking. We ate gourmet meals every single day and the head chef even went out of his way one evening to make sure that our dinner was to our liking because we had raised a question about one of the ingredients in the dish. He came over and suggested changing it, and even after we said no, he still went ahead and did it to ensure that we really enjoyed. I've been to many high end resorts and restaurants and the food was in a league of it's own. The staff were excellent, not a single person would walk by you without saying hello. I recommend booking excursions through the hotel. it'll keep you on the safer side and the prices are very reasonable. The water taxi's are good but can be expensive if you don't do your research. When I first booked Anse Chastanet, I was very very excited, but then the thought of no A/C, no TV, no radio, and no phone in our rooms got me thinking... trust me when I say you won't want any of that there. I even brought an MP3 player with portable speakers but only turned it on for the first hour, and from there on in our music was listening to the sounds of the birds burried deep in the rainforest. I could go on and on about this resort, I have never been to such a beautiful place and I have never imagined that this even existed. I will never go back to a cookie cutter resort again, in fact after staying at the Anse Chastanet, i don't know if i'll ever be able to go to another carribbean resort. be careful, it isn;t cheap - but well worth every penny, and more! Have Fun!!!!

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 October 2008

The Anse Chastanet is a lovely place. Its secluded location is great for a peaceful holiday. The beach, particularly in low season when we visited, was very quiet. You could often shut your eyes and only hear the sound of the waves - there was little noise from other guests. The service at the restaurants was superb - attentive, prompt, friendly without ever being obsequious.

The bedroom was calm and beautiful. It could get a little hot at night without air conditioning.

Food was good at the restaurants, and plentiful. The tree tops restaurant was atmospheric and intimate - and very romantic.

This is the place for you if you want a peaceful retreat, with excellent service.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank YaminiLondon
Reviewed 4 October 2008

It was wonderful to be at a small resort. No fighting for lounge chairs at the beach, no stress at all. I don't imagine that we'll ever going to a large resort again.

The arrival to the resort was handled well. We were given a complimentary upgrade since we had initially booked a standard room. It was a nice surprise to be told this when we arrived along with a cold drink and towel.

5B was our room which was lovely, and have a good view of the beach and top 3/4 of the Pitons. Sleeping under the netting is kind of fun.

Walking up and down to the beach is sometimes a challenge.

The scuba shop was very good as was the staff. The scuba was fantastic, very good visibility. I completely my open water training. My husband is a Master Scubadiver and loved it. Snorkelling was very good too; we even saw squid, an octopus and and an eel not far from shore.

The beach was nice, great to have grass umbrellas for all. Beach butlers help out a lot too.

All food was good, and often exceptional.

I found all staff to be very friendly and helpful.

We upgraded to Jade Mountain for the last two nights. The price is negotiable. We didn't have a tour before we went. I'm glad we didn't because it was such an incredible surprise. It is breathtaking and well worth it. The room is unbelievable, infinity pool, spectacular views.
You even have a butler who you can call (they give you a small cell phone to carry) at any time for anything. We really only called for a drive from the beach. The restaurant is really nice too on top of the resort. Fabulous four course menu for dinners. We had room service for breakfasts only.
It certainly seemed cooler up there, but it could be that we jumped in and out of the pool very often.

I'm not sure how anyone could be disappointed with either place.
My husband and I will return.

Have fun if you're on your way!

Ontario, Canada

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
4  Thank KWReviewWoman
Reviewed 23 September 2008

Great honeymoon. Excellent weather. Gorgeous. Upgraded to Jade mountain. Jade is a must. Great food and food options. Really wish they had tvs...

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MsZie
Reviewed 27 August 2008

Just returned from St. Lucia, August 2008.

We (5 couples 45 to 64 in age) stayed at Anse Chastanet and Jade Mountain resort for 10 days. I must preface my comments. None of us had been to St. Lucia before; our primary reason was to SCUBA dive. We have traveled around the world SCUBA diving. We found the diving to exceed our expectations. The Dive operation at Anse Chastanet was well managed, the staff was most accommodating, and the dive boat was large and well maintained. The diving was light to moderate drift diving, water temperatures in the 82 to 84 range and visibility of plus 50. The dive sites were only a five minute slow boat ride from the resort. The reefs were in great shape, the marine life was plentiful and we saw many species such as Flamingo tongues. The wreck dive up the coast was easy and open for safe penetration. Most dives lasted about one hour. One member of the dive staff, Victor, has the record for the most dives. He has over 28,000 dives.

The Anse Chastanet resort has a very good staff, they were always asking if there was anything they could do for us. This occurred from the manager to the ground keeper. Everyone wanted us to have a great time. It seemed to come naturally and not a superficial concern.

Some posts that I found in the forum before we went to St. Lucia that I would like to comment on.
1. Yes, Anse Chastanet and Jade Mountain are built on the side of a mountain. There are a lot of stairs and levels from the beach to the top but there is an on call shuttle service that will pick you up at any location and take you to your room. We never had to wait more than 2 or 3 minutes to be picked up. From the beach, which has the Beach Bar and Grill restaurant, to the middle area which has 3 restaurants, a bar and the reception area is about 100 stair steps up. There are 3 or 4 levels with over looks, benches and areas to rest as you make the climb. From the middle level to the top of Anse Chastanet, which would be building number 7, is about 160 steps. I admit that I counted the steps, the one and only time that I climbed them. I walked down the steps all the time but the climb up was not has easy on my old body. The younger generations did not seem to mind the climb. To get to Jade Mountain you climbed or rode up to building 7, walked on a flat sidewalk a small distance, then climbed the stairs to your private bridge walk way that takes you to your sanctuary (room). This could be 1 to 5 levels. If you walked up from the beach or middle area, this additional treat would be nothing to be concerned about.
2. All of the rooms in Anse Chastanet are unique. The décor, for a guy, is difficult to describe. The rooms were very nice and what you see in the literature is what you get. They are simple, modern and Caribbean all mix together. One couple had a large tree that went through the bathroom. My wife and I had 7F which is the largest unit in Anse Chastanet. It had only two walls but has the best unlimited view of the Pitons and the sea. It was interesting to take a shower, with just a waist high wall separating you from the rest of the world, looking at the Pitons. The birds like to fly in for a little water or set on the wall ledge. Only the bathroom in the sanctuary at Jade Mountain exceeded this experience.
3. At night the staff surrounds our bed with mosquito netting and lit a mosquito coil. It looked as if we were on safari. We had no mosquito bites, in fact, I can not recall hearing or seeing a mosquito much less any other type of bug for 10 days. However, tree frogs and geckos are another thing. Having spent time in Vietnam, geckos are a given. They do hang out on the walls and ceilings. This seemed to concern some guests but geckos are natures bug zappers. At night there is a continuous song of tree frogs, geckos and other assorted things. It bothers some people trying to go to sleep the first night but after a few minutes your brain makes the adjustment.
4. No air conditioning. The higher up the mountain you go, the better the breeze. Or if you are at the beach. We ever had any problem going to sleep. There are ceiling fan and there are floor fans in each room. If you need more fans just ask and they will supply you with as many as you need. In fact in the morning, it was cool. In the winter, I would think it would be most pleasant.
5. The final 2 miles of road to the resort is paved, narrow, steep in places and ruff. This is done on purpose to keep local traffic out and it does. It is not a big thing, just interesting and you do not need a 4X4. The helicopter to and from the airport is an option. It lands next to Jade Mountain. You get a great view of the southern part of the island, pitons and Soufriere during the trip.
6. No T.V. or telephones in the rooms, we did not miss either. Cells phones worked over most, if not all of the island.
7. A/C has two beaches. One at the foot of the resort next to the bar and grill. This one is not exceptionally wide but is about 200 yard plus long. The second beach is just a short walk along the shore north and is about the same size. It is lightly used and if you want, the ground keeper will give you a tour of the old banana plantation. There are refreshments available and cabanas. I was not aware of the color of the beach sand until I read a few posts. The sand on both beaches is not black. When wet it is a light gray and when dry it is an off white. It is not that blinding white sugar sand. The only down side is when the sun is out in force, that small difference in color can cause some serious foot work as people dance to the water, otherwise I consider it a non factor. There are two excellent snorkeling areas at the main beach. One to the north and the private reserve to the south. A lot of creatures to see.

The food at the 3 restaurants, from the Gross Piton Hamburger( U.S. inspected beef) at the Beach Grill, to the fresh tuna sushi at the Tree House, was very good, well presented, included a variety of styles and spices. Breakfast was buffet styles ( 7 until 10) but there was a chef who made omelets, eggs and crepes. Also a juice bar were fresh fruit drinks were made. Lunch was usually taken at the Beach Grill. You could be served at the restaurant, bar or on the beach. If you wanted anything when you were on the beach, just wave the flag and stick it in the ground, with in minutes a beach boy would appear to take care of your needs. The lunch menu went from appetizers to a full 4 course dinner ala cart. Dinner was offered at all 3 restaurants at night, dress was smart casual, some men worn long pants occasionally but Bermuda shorts and a Jam World Hawaii shirt was most common. Women were always a notch above the men. As stated the food was very good, service was at the right pace to allow for table conversation and a nice wine. 5 couples, 10 days and 300 meals and nothing to really complain about. Now I did not use the term excellent because I do not pretend to be a gourmet, nor is the food at that level. I have seen reviews of places were I got the impression the writer felt that their purpose in life was to be critical to the point were the review lost its value. If you could not be satisfied by the service and food at this level, then you will need to spend a bigger bundle some where else. We were on the full MAP plan. After each meal, which was ala cart, you would sign a receipt which was for internal accounting and for any additional drinks not covered. It was easy to see the MAP was a good deal. In addition, tipping 10% and a 8% service charges was automatically included on all meals receipts and this was included in the package. After taking out the cost for diving, food, auto tips/service charges, the rooms were reasonable. We did of course tip those that waited on us and provided additional service at the end of the stay. When the staff knows everyone’s name and what you usually drink for every meal, this deserves additional compensation.

Now to Jade Mountain…..take every thing that was said about Anse Chastanet and increase it by a factor of 5. There are 24 or 28 sanctuaries on Jade Mountain, only 48 people to cater too. Each has its own bridge walkway to a massive 14 foot door that allows you to enter your sanctuary. Once inside the sanctuary, the space blasts open to the Pitons and the view. Openness is every where. The sanctuary is set up for couples and it is easy to see why Honeymooners’ would enjoy this environment. Don’t get me wrong, this is not some tacky honeymoon suite at your local hotel. Infinity pool, hot tub, butler, mood lights and all done very tastefully. One can not be too modest because, outside of going into a closet to dress, everything is open in the sanctuary. However, at the same time the architecture of the building gives you total privacy from the rest of the world without intruding on the view of the Pitons. The rooms are far superior to those at A/C. On the top level of Jade Mountain is a private bar, infinity pool and dinning area for Jade Mountain guests only. A great place to invite new friends for dinner, drinks and a Cuba Cigar. The staff and butler are at your call and they are the best the resort has to offer. Jade Mountain has its own kitchen and Chef. The food again is superior to Anse Chastanet. Even if your budget will only allow one or two days at Jade Mountain, it is worth it. Your wife or girl friend will thank you.

Finally Anse Chastanet and Jade Mountain are definitvely adult resorts. No T.V. or videos . Every night there is musical entertainment at one of the bars. The place is quite by late evening. No disco or party time. There is a lot to see on the island, so keeping busy is not a problem. All you have to do is go to the reception area and they will arrange any type of trip or tour. It was always done on time, good transportation, knowledgeable driver or guide and with no hassle. On occasions, a member of our dive crew even when we use because we were going to visit their home town or village and they would act as guide. This made it very easy to get to know the locals and have a drink at the local bar.

Over the course of many years, we have stayed at Club Med, when they where the “in” thing to do, the all inclusive resorts of the Mayan Rivera of Mexico, and the must go to places in the sun. But this is a nice place, it has a pleasant atmosphere, people who stay here are friendly, mature and do not seem to have a need to impress any one. Anse Chastanet’s, Jade Mountain’s staff and management knows who they are and are comfortable with the product they offer. It shows

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with friends