“Great people, great location, great food!”
Review of Anse Chastanet

Anse Chastanet
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 22 October 2007

Just returned from having stayed at Anse Chastanet for 3 nights of our weeklong vacation (we also stayed 4 nights at Jade Mountain). Glad we started at Anse - as would have been a bit of a let down to do it the other way.

The resort overall is tremendous - the staff, location and food is some of the best we have experienced. The rooms at Anse are a bit on the rustic side, but as we did not spend a lot of time in room during day, we were fine with accomodations. It would be a plus if at some point when jade is completely finished, they will start updating at least the bathrooms in some of the older rooms on the hill. It took a day or so to get used to no air conditioning, but learned to place the standing fan inside netting at base of bed was the trick.

Even though we moved up the mountain to Jade for 4 nights - we continued to use restaurants, beach and activities at Anse Chastanet - the people, the food and the service are all great - very attentive, yet so friendly which made for a relaxing and memorable trip. Also if you scuba dive - they have a top notch facility.

Overall - Anse was a great experience - but I must say that if you can swing it - even for a couple nights - try Jade to get a real appreciation for all the resort has to offer.

1  Thank lmct

Reviewed 17 October 2007

Just got back from my honeymoon at Anse. At first, I was not blown away from the place, but grew to love it as the week went on. The drive to the resort is hellacious and not for anyone who gets car sick easily. We stayed in their beach side accomodations, so we didn't have to navigate the stairs more than a couple times a day. The staff is great, but sometimes can take a little while to serve you at the bars. Don't expect to sit down and get a beer for at least 10 minutes. The Island motto is "live slow". However, once you realize this, its OK and you get used to it. When you're on the beach, they have beverage and lunch service, so if you want to lounge all day without having to get up, you can do it very easily.

This resort is defnitely for lovers and not for familys. I think i saw two kids there all week, and i bet they were bored after a couple days. It has one of the best reefs I've ever snorkled on within 10 feet of the shore line. I think I snorkled for at least an hour a day. The exurcsions are great, sailing, fishing, biking, city tours, etc. If I were to go back to St. Lucia, I'd stay there again.

DO's:
Bring Bug Spray for nighttime

All the exucursions

Expect to climb stairs, steep ones

Enjoy dinner, the food is great.

GO TO THE FISH FRY ON FRIDAY NIGHT...ask one of the locals to give you a boat ride, do not go by land taxi. Alvin, small local, will take you to Anse-la-Raye on Friday night for a fish fry, very interesting to mingle with the locals. TONS OF FUN. Ask Alvin about the running lights on the boat.

Expect a long taxi ride from the airport (75minutes), but only about 20 miles, so slow going.

Book Jade Mountain if you're willing to pony up the cash. We took a tour of the room the last day and glad we waited until then, it'll blow your mind how beautiful it is up there. Very nice accomodations, wish we would've upgraded when we got there.

DONT's
Don't expect a ton of nightlife. Everyone seems to go to bed by 10. There is entertainment every night, but not many people go to the bars.

Expect air conditioning. The first couple days are hard to get used to, especially going to bed, but you get used to it.

Forget your sunscreen. We saw a lot of red people...sun is very strong there!

forget to bring your own cigars. They were charging 25 bucks for a cohiba, which usually cost 10.

Go here without getting a meal plan. The food is very expensive and worth getting a meal plan. Case in point, for breakfast, our tab was around 50-60 a day. For that, we had omelets, sausage, fruit, and water. Lunch will run about 60 bucks as well for just sandwiches, burgers, etc. They do have a buffet for 25 bucks or so. GET the meal plan!! House wine is less than desirable, but just stick with Piton Beer and you'll be alright.

All in all, I came to love Anse Chasanet. The people are very nice and you and them will call each other by name by the end of the week. Look out for Abu (beach), Kerwin (sailboat captain), Terry (scuba and snorkel guide), and all of the servicers are great.

6  Thank vinson7
Reviewed 12 October 2007

My boyfriend and I were looking for romance with a bit of adventure for him while I relaxed by the ocean. I was not sure what to expect from this resort, but it far exceeded all of our expectations. We were upgraded to a premium hillside room which made the stay that much better. While he got up and hiked the nearby jungle trail every morning, I slept in and woke to the sounds of birds and ocean. This property is NOT for those who like elevators and air conditioning. I believe I lost 6 or 7 pounds while we were there. The meals were excellent. I was satisfied after each meal and didn't get the munchies between them. The portions were just big enough and the fare was rather healthy. I tried new items on the menu and was pleased with every choice I made. The staff is non-obtrusive and met our every request. I don't think we ever heard the word "no" while we were there. I would highly recommend this property to couples wishing to escape, and I mean escape from everything. Do not take kids here, they would be bored to tears. We will definitely make a return trip to this outstanding property.

3  Thank FlyGirlH
Reviewed 28 September 2007

We've just spent 3 nights / 4 days at Anse Chastanet and enjoyed every second. With it's secluded location, 'eco-chic' rooms and attention to detail I can see why it was once voted one of the top 10 most romantic hotels in the world.

It is by no means plush but the rooms were equipped with all the amenities (other than air con of course) needed on holiday and were decorated beautifully with local artwork, fabrics and ornaments. We were in a standard hillside room (8B) which was the farthest up the hill and away from the main area but had breathtaking views over the jungle and sea. Would not recommend for anyone with walking difficulties though.

The cuisine was superb, we dined at Apsara (asian/caribbean fusion), the beach grill and the tree tops restaurant and all were excellent. Apsara was my favorite, not too spicy but lots of flavour and an innovative menu. Alcohol was reasonable. I would definately recommend taking out a meal package as you more than get your money's worth by having breakfast and a 3 course meal each day. Also there is no other restaurants in walking distance or easy reach near by so you will more than likely always eat at the resort unless you are prepared to travel (and the road to Soufriere is basically a dirt track and takes 15 minutes in a car)

Snorkelling directly off the beach was excellent - make sure you got to the right hand side of the bay by the jetty, the sea life there is fab. We swam with a green turtle for ages and saw eels and a seahorse. We snorkelled round the corner at Devils Hole on a trip but that wasnt nearly as good. The jungle biking at Anse Mamin was good fun too and the history to the plantation is very interesting. The spa is ok - a bit basic but we took the couples massage course which was good fun and informative.

Would unreservedly recommend and would love to go back.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
5  Thank hammyryder79
Reviewed 13 September 2007

We went to Anse Chastenet from Sept 4-11, 2007 for our honeymoon. We had the best time!!!!!! We did the all inclusive plan, which was definitely worth it! When we arrived at the airport (Hewanorra), there was a representative who arranged our van to the resort. There were 2 other couples with us as well. The ride took about 45 min and the roads were winding but there were beautiful views. As soon as you get to the hotel they give you a welcome cocktail which was nice!

We originally booked a standard room, which was nice but didn't have much privacy. We asked for an upgrade and got one for free to the Hillside Deluxe room. This room was MUCH nicer, it had 2 couches, big balcony with lounge chairs, and even a tree going through our room! It was so cool. Only complaint about the room - shower did not drain, but this wasn't that big of a deal. There are hairdryers in the room, so no reason to bring one of your own because the electric plugs are different which I did not even realize.

The food was delicious. I would recommend doing the all inclusive plan, because it was very expensive. Breakfast was good, the menu didn't change but there was a small buffet as well. Lunch was available on the beach which was really nice, we didn't even have to get up out of our beach hut! They also had a big selection in the restaurant down on the beach, which we did a few days as well. There is afternoon tea/snacks available up in the hillside restaurant or down on the beach. They had milkshakes, cakes, cookies, and sandwiches. For dinner, there is the Apsara restaurant with St. Lucian/Indian food, we ate there one night but I am not crazy about Indian food. My husband really liked it, they offered alot of different choices, I'm just not into spicy foods. Down on the beach there is also the Beach Grill, it had the same menu every night but it was really good - mostly steak, grilled seafood, etc. Up on the hillside was the Treehouse restaurant which was my favorite! They changed the menu every night and had amazing soups, salads and all kinds of entrees - fish, vegetarian, steak, lamb, pork, etc. Desserts were very unique and delicious!

We did a lot of the activities because they were included in our package. We did 2 scuba dives, but my favorite was the reef directly in front of the resort! Even Sandals and other resorts bring boats of divers there everyday. You could see alot there just by snorkeling too. We did the half day sailing trip which was fun, and we got to jump off and snorkel a bit at a reef that was a little further south. We also did the Volcano/Gardens/Mineral Baths trip. The volcano was cool, however it is a sulphur volcano so it smelled really bad!!!!! But still neat to see. The botanical gardens were beautiful, bring cash to tip the guide - we didn't even bring our wallets and felt awful that we didn't tip him. He was really knowledgeable about the flowers and St Lucia in general. We went in the mineral baths which were basically just hot tubs, but the water was nice. My husband did the Jungle biking, I didn't because I forgot sneakers. He said that was really fun. We also used the kayaks, it was so easy to kayak around because there were no waves at all! Completely smooth.

For our last night, we upgraded to Jade Mountain. The rooms were absolutely incredible. They were totally open-air, with our own infinity pool!!!!!!! If you can afford it, I would recommend staying there for at least a night. I thought the food was good down at Anse Chastenet, but it is even better up at Jade Mountain. You can have all your meals in your room if you want!!!

We had a really great honeymoon at Anse Chastenet/Jade Mountain. We met so many international people, and lots of other couples. It is literally off the beaten path - the road from the town to the resort is unpaved and it takes about 20 min to go 2 miles. But it was not a big deal at all. There were steps down to the beach, but again no big deal - unless you had a heart condition or something. We are in our 20's and we were absolutely fine with them, it was actually good to get some exercise after eating so much!!! I would recommend bringing bug spray or asking for more mosquito coils in your room, the bugs can get really really bad. We were very nervous about traveling to the Caribbean in Sept, during hurricane season, but we heard from many of the people there that they hardly ever get hit by a hurricane. I think it was because of this that the resort was mostly empty, we had the beach almost to ourselves some days!

We can't wait to go back - the beach, rooms, food, everything was great!!!!! Next time we are staying at Jade Mountain all week :)

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
4  Thank daisy751
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
0.2 km away
#2 of 5 in Cap Estate
12.6 km away
Marigot Bay Resort and Marina by Capella

Recently Reviewed Hotels around Soufriere

Been to Anse Chastanet? Share your experiences!