“Cant understand bad reviews”

St. James's Club Morgan Bay
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Gros Islet
“Cant understand bad reviews”
Reviewed 19 March 2012

I honestly can't understand the terrible reviews. I stayed at the morgan bay with my husband 31/01/12-10/02/12 and had a wonderful time. A few of the negative things we knew before we came ie distance from the airport and the cloudy sea. But some of the other negatives we never experienced on arrival we were met with a delicious drink and a cold face cloth we checked in and were taken to our room 549. The member of staff who took us to our room was incidentally the only one we tipped until the day we left. Our room was lovely and clean and an upgrade from what we paid we were very happy with it. Natacha the virgin rep very helpfully books you in for a couple of nights at the restaurants so the first few nights were sorted and we had no problem with booking other reservations. We ate in all the restaurants our favourite being bambou. But the were all nice my favourite meals being breakfast and the lovely omelettes. The palms was always good the only night we didnt really enjoy was french night! The cats were NOT a problem and didnt beg for food nor were the birds and i'm pretty scared of birds. We never once had a problem getting served at the bars and we didnt tip!!! The beach is small but adequate we never had a problem getting loungers the only irritating thing was people putting towels on them and never returning but hardly the hotels fault.

The entertainment was ok a bit repetitive after 10 nights but on the whole we enjoyed it. The staff at the resort were all very helpful and friendly.

Can't comment on the watersports as we didnt do them. The resort is well situated, we took the bus to rodney bay which was very easy and very cheap.

I would honestly recommend this resort to anyone and would definately return one day. The change of ownership can only be a good thing!

• Stayed January 2012
3 Thank smithyej

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,145)
Toronto
Reviewed 18 March 2012

My small family of 4 stayed at Morgan Bay over Mar 4-11. We have lots of experience with all inclusive travel so this is an honest review. We were duped. This is not a 4 star resort, it is more like a 3 star. No drink in room, even water, you have to buy it and if you pay in US dollars you dont get US dollars in change, not there policy. No munchies at the pool bar to nibble on during day as well as no food to nibble on in the evening when watching the entertainment. No-one serves you, you have to get your drinks and clean up after yourself, if people dont clean up their empty cups, they just fly around when the wind catches them. Food was not very good, we left the resort a couple of times to eat, not a lot of "quality" food, mediocre at best. The steel trays in which the the food sits in at the buffets were beaten up and the lids never fit, therefore falling in the food or falling off the food on the floor or in the case of the bbq on the beach... on the sand, and then put back on the food! The fruit was very limited and always the same..watermelon,tasteless pineapple, bannana and melons,There are a lot of birds flying overhead I was very worried they would deficate on the fruit trays! Gross, this hotel would never make a Pass like in Ontario restaurants. My daughter did not finish her meal at the buffet, the waitress removed her plate and threw it in the bush beside our table, this people is so the large amount of cats could eat! About 4 cats pounced on the food while the rest of my family tried to sit and eat our own meals. I would like the manager to tell me honestly how he feels about the buffet stands in The Palms restaurant and Bambou restaurant and while you are commenting on the dirty, blackened buffet stands (a good wash down and paint job is honestly needed) how about the overhead fans at The Palms?? I hope you realize how unsanitary these things are? The amount of dust on the fans was extremely unpleasant to look at while trying to eat! I am shocked at some of the responses you give , I dont think you are being honest, I really am looking forward to your feedback. Please let me know what you think of the main pool tile, cracked, broken, missing tiles that mildew has formed around them. The manager is right to say they will drive you up to your room at night, if you can find someone to drive you, not a lot of staff! The staff were also mediocre, they could'nt care a less if you were there or not, no music by the pool during the day...not a happening place!! I will never go back to this resort...if you have booked this resort I would truly try and rebook another resort, I have to say I think the good reviews are really from the new company that has purchased this resort...I cannot in my right mind approve this resort for anyone. I am sorry to write this review if you have booked and cannot get out of it. I am more sorry that I chose this resort and am out a lot of money for a very low quality resort!! The reviews I read when I was researching this place were on average good?????? I wonder if trip advisor ensures these reviews are not coming from within. P.S. Joy's boat cruise was our saving grace. AWESOME...they are a private company and are not associated with the resort. Dinner at the big chef steak house in Rodney Bay was also great! Check out the Marina in Rodney Bay, a lot of beautiful boats.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
11 Thank tobelostinparadise
Louisville, Ohio
Reviewed 18 March 2012

This resort is deceiving in how they present themselves. I have never been so happy to get home from a vacation until now. They say all-inclusive, all tips and most water sports are free. The employees let you know up front they get tips from guest, that is their way of letting you know we want tips. We tried to do the water sports which were free and told they cost. Their web site had it as free which we showed the employee he said yes I see this but it cost 50.00. We are changing over. Room Service... absolutely not, every time we called we were told it was the wrong time or we don't do that. We were their for 7 days out of the seven days we had to eat at The Palms 6 times. I guess you need to be a gold member or a friend of the staff to go to the restaurants. I had a bill which I was called to ask for payment they told me the amount. I was fine with it. I got their the day after to pay the money I was suppose to pay was now higher. I argued that this was wrong. This is the question I have for you. If you knew what your bill was suppose to be and they bring out the carbon copy with white out on it with a new number, What do you say? I said this is wrong I was told , in a very rude way is that your signature, I said yes they said then this is your bill. I have never seen white out on a carbon copy when disputing a bill. I have gone to many islands. I was really excited to go here. I would never return to St.Lucia's again. If you are planning a trip to St.Lucia's I suggest you chose another resort. The food is usually cold and more then likely you will have to eat at the buffet most of the time. Now if you know someone their your experience may be different. We spent over 5000.00 to go. I am sick that I paid that much money for the service and treatment I received. I have never complained about money before until now. If your money has a slight tear in it they won't take it if you want American money in return you are told it will be in Caribbean money. Our dollar is worth 2.30 to their dollar. The pools need repainted, air conditioners in rooms need to be working and frankly the staff in the reservation office all need to take a class in Customer Service. I would say most of them in front need to be replaced they talk out both sides of their mouths. They do not tell you the exact truth only half. I had the opportunity to talk to a employee that works for them. I was shocked when I was told they haven't received a raise in six years. Who's getting the money? I am not trying to retaliate against Morgan's Bay. This is the truth. If you are planning a trip to St. Lucia's please look into other resorts. We stayed 03/09/2012 till 03/16/2012. I am sure their are some of you that feel they go out of their way to help you and even say a kind word. I didn't find this at all. The only people who were nice and polite were the waitress in The Palms and only one young man who drove from your room and back. The others would not talk and were very impatient. If your looking for a spa expect to be in a room such as the one your sleeping in or worse then your sleeping in. This is not a upscale spa, it's a total joke. No robe, shower or a sheet across you, just a towel... That was pretty classy whosoever idea that was. If you do still go there for your vacation I wish you best of times and truly hope you stand your ground with these people. Do not let them bully you, or take more of your money then they are suppose to have!!!! I hope this has helped some of you with your choices in resorts.

Room Tip: I can not suggest any room for anyone. Just be careful when you come and our told you are being upgr...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
23 Thank Karyn1164
Sussex
Reviewed 17 March 2012

Stayed there at end of Feb 2012 for 10 nights. Work is already under way by the new owners to make good the items that need attention in terms of maintenance/repair. Lovely gardens and setting which were immaculately maintained. Food was good and there was more than enough for anyone, but wish they didn't try so hard to fancy it up - would have liked some more local (Caribbean) dishes. Rooms were good. Is one of the only hotels we have been in that actually do what they say in terms of not washing towels unless placed into bath. Staff were all very good - any guest who finds otherwise is probably a victim of their own attitude towards the staff who all work damned hard. Yes, could have had a few more serving drinks in the evening rush, but the delays are caused by many guests asking for coktails which take an age to prepare. Not a huge problem - patience is a virtue - just chill! We travelled with Virgin, and their rep in the hotel, Natacha, is with little doubt up there with the best.

Room Tip: that is very personal, but if you have difficulty getting about ask for a room close to pool; some a...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Teaneck, New Jersey
Reviewed 17 March 2012

Morgan Bay in St. Lucia is a great hotel that offers a lot of personality and a relaxing ambiance which has a lot of potential to get an American clientele.
Morgan Bay is an all-inclusive beach front resort on the Caribbean sea side of St. Lucia. Their all-inclusive packages offers breakfast, lunch, dinner and beverages including all spirits. They have four restaurants and four bars located right on the resort. The resort was minutes away from Rodney Bay and Castries, These towns offer a great native culture to tourist who decide to stay at Morgan Bay. I thought the 63 ocean front bedroom suits were great that had a modern décor with a Caribbean flavor. The view was incredible from the outside terrace in that room category. However I stayed in the deluxe ocean view category which was nice as well and is right on the beach. In total the resort has 343 rooms with a variety of categories, each offering stunning ocean or tropical garden views. The food from La Jardin offered upscale dining In a romantic indoor setting with full central air conditioning. Morgan’s Pier it also a dining alternative that’s right out on the shore with a panoramic view of the sea. Bambou is an modern fusion beach front restaurant with an amazing view of the ocean. Their service was immaculate and the staff was very attentive. Morgan Bay Beach Resort has a plethora of amenities and facilities for guests to uses which include a Spa & Salon giving guests the opportunity to relax and get first-class treatments. The resort also has four tennis courts, and a state of the art fitness center. Located on the resort are four fresh water swimming pools one of which had a swim up pool bar. Another pool was for adults only looking to relax poolside without children.
I would recommend Morgan Bay Beach Resort for all my friends and family. This island offers a lot of tours and excursions such as the Piton Mountains World Heritage Site, the Catamaran Sailing, and the Dive in Volcano in Soufriere. St. Lucia offers a variety of activities for tourists that can’t be found anywhere else in the world St. Lucia as well as Morgan Bay Beach Resort with the confidence that this is a great value property that offers an exotic island. St. Lucia is a must see island and anyone looking to travel there should stay at the Morgan Bay Beach Resor

Room Tip: One Bedroom Suits were great. beach front rooms had an excellent veiw and was right on the shore.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
#2 of 13 in Gros Islet
25.6 km away
Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort

Recently Reviewed Hotels around Gros Islet

Been to St. James's Club Morgan Bay? Share your experiences!