My wife and I just got back from 8 days at the Rendezvous in St. Lucia and while it was a great resort and experience, there are definitely a few things to note before going. For context, my wife and I travel once or twice a year and always go to Adults Only (generally in Mexico or Dominican). We are largely inactive when we go away (aka mostly beach/bar/pool people and rarely do excursions) though this time we did do a tour of the island via both land and sea one of the days. We are also very heavy tippers so we often don't see service issues that are sometimes encountered by others.
First off, the good about the resort:
+ The staff are courteous and friendly. They always greet you with a smile and because English is the primary language in St. Lucia, communication is never an issue.
+ The resort grounds are AMAZING. The pictures do them no justice at all. I will post some more when I upload them, but honestly you cannot appreciate how breathtaking the foliage and jungle are on the resort and the rest of St. Lucia
+ The booze was strong and tasty.
+ The lazy river was amazing and with the resort being so small we did not see any issues finding a spot by the pool either (we mostly frequented the spa pool).
+ The other reviews are correct, the water is too murky for snorkeling but there are trips out every day to snorkeling areas and while no good for snorkeling, the beach is amazing for swimming or just relaxing.
+ We stayed in a veranda suite and the front veranda was very nice and almost completely free of mosquitoes/bugs despite the grounds being so tropical
The not so good about the resort:
+ The food, as mentioned in some other reviews was good if not flavorful. It definitely caters to the primary target audience of the resort (50+ British) as none of the food has much in the way of spice or flavor.
+ The amenities and the resort definitely dated. If you are used to Excellence or Secrets type modern resorts, it will definitely feel like a step down though it is not bad, just not great
+ The spa, like the rest of the resorts was just ok, very small and limited number of treatments.
+ The Trysting Place was mediocre (we actually liked the buffet better which is not something I would ever say about Excellence resorts etc) but the deserts and service were excellent
+ The trip from the airport to the resort is very long and quite frankly, a bit terrifying. Most of it being on some of the thinnest roads I have ever seen, over looking cliffs, with no guard rail. To describe the roads as 'twisty' is like calling the surface of the sun 'a bit warm', they really are crazy.
- The beds, ugh, wow. I think the ceramic floor tiles are softer than the bed was. We even asked to see the upgraded rooms to get away from the horrible bed but the new rooms are no different in this regard.
All in all, it was a good resort but in a lot of ways does not stack up well against some of the newer adults only's. The grounds and the beauty of St. Lucia itself are what set it apart from the 'Excellence' type resorts but I don't know if it is enough to offset the mediocrity of some of the other areas.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Rendezvous - The Boutique Hotel For Couples. Rendezvous is the only all-inclusive boutique resort in the Caribbean nestled in a tropical garden on a 2-mile stretch of beach, designed for couples who want to spend quality time together in an atmosphere of personalized care. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Rendezvous Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rendezvous Hotel Castries
- Rendezvous Hotel St Lucia
- Rendevous St Lucia
- Rendezvous Resort St. Lucia/Castries