“Beautiful But No Perfect”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Rendezvous Resort

Rendezvous Resort
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Castries
Belle Cote, Canada
“Beautiful But No Perfect”
Reviewed 31 March 2012

My wife and I just got back from 8 days at the Rendezvous in St. Lucia and while it was a great resort and experience, there are definitely a few things to note before going. For context, my wife and I travel once or twice a year and always go to Adults Only (generally in Mexico or Dominican). We are largely inactive when we go away (aka mostly beach/bar/pool people and rarely do excursions) though this time we did do a tour of the island via both land and sea one of the days. We are also very heavy tippers so we often don't see service issues that are sometimes encountered by others.

First off, the good about the resort:
+ The staff are courteous and friendly. They always greet you with a smile and because English is the primary language in St. Lucia, communication is never an issue.
+ The resort grounds are AMAZING. The pictures do them no justice at all. I will post some more when I upload them, but honestly you cannot appreciate how breathtaking the foliage and jungle are on the resort and the rest of St. Lucia
+ The booze was strong and tasty.
+ The lazy river was amazing and with the resort being so small we did not see any issues finding a spot by the pool either (we mostly frequented the spa pool).
+ The other reviews are correct, the water is too murky for snorkeling but there are trips out every day to snorkeling areas and while no good for snorkeling, the beach is amazing for swimming or just relaxing.
+ We stayed in a veranda suite and the front veranda was very nice and almost completely free of mosquitoes/bugs despite the grounds being so tropical

The not so good about the resort:
+ The food, as mentioned in some other reviews was good if not flavorful. It definitely caters to the primary target audience of the resort (50+ British) as none of the food has much in the way of spice or flavor.
+ The amenities and the resort definitely dated. If you are used to Excellence or Secrets type modern resorts, it will definitely feel like a step down though it is not bad, just not great
+ The spa, like the rest of the resorts was just ok, very small and limited number of treatments.
+ The Trysting Place was mediocre (we actually liked the buffet better which is not something I would ever say about Excellence resorts etc) but the deserts and service were excellent
+ The trip from the airport to the resort is very long and quite frankly, a bit terrifying. Most of it being on some of the thinnest roads I have ever seen, over looking cliffs, with no guard rail. To describe the roads as 'twisty' is like calling the surface of the sun 'a bit warm', they really are crazy.

The bad:
- The beds, ugh, wow. I think the ceramic floor tiles are softer than the bed was. We even asked to see the upgraded rooms to get away from the horrible bed but the new rooms are no different in this regard.

All in all, it was a good resort but in a lot of ways does not stack up well against some of the newer adults only's. The grounds and the beauty of St. Lucia itself are what set it apart from the 'Excellence' type resorts but I don't know if it is enough to offset the mediocrity of some of the other areas.

Room Tip: The veranda suites are definitely worth the upgrade price if you enjoy being able to sit out in the...
5 Thank Ronnrhon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (749)
Truro, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2012 via mobile

We stayed at the rendezvous in late February having booked a standard garden view room,as soon as we saw our room(109) I went down to reception to see if we could upgrade, as the bathroom was very tatty,old and badly in need of updating, the bedroom was dark although in much better condition than the grotty bathroom,although they were full so couldn't upgrade us at the rendezvous we got upgraded to a fabulous beach front room at le sport for the last couple of days, both resorts were absolutely stunning, all the staff were really friendly,helpful and smiley especially Angela in the terrace restaurant at rendezvous, the foods much better at le sport but it's rather stuffy, rendezvous is much more relaxed and the grounds are much nicer, we'd go back to both but definitely upgrade as the basic rooms are 3 star at best

Stayed February 2012
2 Thank cliju
London
Reviewed 28 March 2012

It may claim to have the same levels of service since it opened in 1966 but it also has the same age of guests since it opened in 1966. Although their internet site claims it is a resort for couples with pictures of younger couples, the reality is that 90% of the guests are over 60 years old and this is really a resort for retirement couples from the UK.
Beach and amenities are as described with the resort being clean, the food and staff service is better although being all inclusive the drinks are quite weak.
Garden room was reasonable but overall this was a disappointing experience in view of the reviews and website, since the resort is actually tailored to its main clientele, over 60 years old, retired and from the UK.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank UK-Based-Explorer
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Just returned from a glorious week with my husband. To set context, we have travelled to several Caribbean destinations and Europe; mostly all 4-5 star resorts. This was our first trip to St-Lucia and we really enjoyed our week of rest, relaxation and a little romance. For those considering this resort, here are some key points that may influence your decision.

The resort is small and thus very little necessary walking, though there are opportunities up and down the beach and into Castries to shop the craft markets if you so desire. We did and enjoyed all.

The food, though a smaller selection than many large resorts, is quite good. To break it down, the resort had one buffet and one a la carte restaurant. For the buffet however, which is where we ate most meals, the food was fresh, tasty and good. Lunch and dinner always included fish, chicken and usually a beef or pork option. Accompaniments included rice, potato and/or pasta options as well as steamed vegetables. The salad bar included always-fresh selections. Cheese and fresh fruit were plentiful and fresh. Excellent soup each lunch and dinner service. Dessert options, to be honest, were very difficult to resist, even for me who rarely eats desserts! In addition, there were other “extras” each meal that changed every day. If you want a cappuccino or café latte, just ask. Took us a few days to clue in, but easy to get if you ask. The a la carte restaurant was difficult to get reservations for and frankly, we found it good, but we enjoyed the buffet as well.

Beach is very nice, clean and spacious. Though chairs with shade were reserved early in the morning, there were always options for lounging throughout the property. The views from the beach were our favourite, and therefore out preferred location. The pools were also very nice and we tried both and found them to be nice and refreshing (not cold). The two hot tubs were a too hot for us with no visible controls for the jets or temperature. Oh well… didn’t change our enjoyment. Our only negative here is the water at the beach, which has nothing to do with the resort. The water is not very clear (I assume due to the volcano residue?). So for me, that was not great as I like to see where I am walking.

We had an ocean front suite, which was quiet, spacious, stunning, and steps from the beach. We spoke to others who had garden suites and they were very happy with their rooms, though we secretly believed ours was spectacular lol. Electric outlets included both the 110 and 220 plugs, so we did not require an adapter. Cleaner (Sandra) kept our room impeccable and we enjoyed her humour.

I surprised my husband with a renewal of vows followed by a private dinner. Sandra, the wedding coordinator was the best. She was attentive to what I wanted and did it all with grace and a big smile. I thoroughly appreciated what she pulled off for my husband and me. If you were considering a wedding or renewal here, I wouldn’t think twice about it. Sandra truly came through in ACES!

Which brings me to the staff. Like any resort, they vary in quality and overall mood. That said; the majority of the staff was friendly and kind. Some remembered our names and others remembered our usual requests such as a cappuccino for my husband after breakfast. Some gave us hugs (well me) on the morning of our departure.

Evening entertainment from what I heard (and briefly witnessed) was good. We are early birds and so this was not a factor for us.

Special mention to Sandra (wedding coordinator), Sandra (room cleaning), Glen (bartender) and a few other great folks (they don’t wear name tags, so not always easy to identify!). Thank you for your smiles and wonderful service!!

Off the resort: We did the land and sea excursion for a day (Thursdays only when we were there). It was worth it for us. We enjoyed the countryside tour, the botanical garden tour (quite nice), the volcano, the Pitons, fishing villages, great lunch with a great view (if you get a chance to eat papaya pie, do it!), and the catamaran on the way back. There were many great Kodak moments and shopping opportunities though I’d say that prices and options were generally best at the markets in Castries.

In closing, if you haven’t been to St-Lucia and like great landscapes (lush, mountainous, very curving and very winding roads), and warm people, I suggest you give it a try. If you like quiet and restful (no blaring noises and party houses) resorts with decent food, rooms, beach, pools and service, then this is a good option for you.

Room Tip: Loved the stunning ocean front suite.
5 Thank GoldenTraveller
Isle of Skye
Reviewed 25 March 2012

We previously stayed at the Rendevous five years ago so were anxious to see the result of the hotel upgrade and we weren't disappointed. The 'old' Rendevous was still there with its relaxing ambience, beautifully cared for gardens and comfortable beds and smiling staff but there was a big difference, it was even better!

The hotel is quite small with 100 rooms and there was always a 'quiet' place we could find to relax. Spent most of our time around the pool by our lovely Seaside Suite room and didn't feel the need to venture to other parts of the hotel we were so at home although we did courageously participate in Pauline's aqua-aerobics class to help work off the extra calorie intake. We met Pauline on our last trip and were delighted to see her again, as indeed, we did with a lot of the staff - Mr Simon, Frances and Carmen in the dining room and Deano who always had a smile on his face along with many others. The hotel team I think really make your stay very welcoming and are always at hand to assist with a smile and a chat if you wanted. I was in Reception requesting extra coat hangers and they had arrived before I had even returned to the room. The gardens are very cared for with orchids and tropical plants in bloom. Asking one of the gardeners about a particular plant growing on a tree, he told me not to touch the leaves as they were rough, so rough his grandmother used them for scouring out her cooking pots!

The food was excellent, we ate too much as you do but have to complement the Chef on the buffet which was always freshly topped up with a huge variety of dishes provided for all meal times - buffets are always difficult but this one was certainly the best we had experienced on our trips to the Caribbean. We ate a couple of times at the Trysting Place but it was difficult to get an early dinner reservation due to its popularity and as the buffet was excellent this certainly didn't bother us.

There are strong tides which churn up the water so no crystal clear waters at the hotel, but the beach really is lovely and we walked several times along the sands. Feeling adventurous we booked a snorkelling trip on the Hotel's dive boat to the Pitons Marine Park - wow, we were both blown away by the variety of fish and coral we saw in the crystal clear, warm and calm waters. If you are a nervous swimmer, use a flotation vest which really does help and we have to thank Lincoln and his Mario brothers for a great experience. To add to our relaxation, we visited the Spa. The hot stone treatment is well recommended and I have come home with much less shoulder and neck tension thanks to the skills of my masseuse.

Yes, the majority of guests are from the UK and in the 50-60's age bracket but there were quite a few younger couples in their 20-30's who commented they enjoyed the mix of age groups and found other guests so friendly, they too were walking about with smiles on their faces. People come to the Rendevous to relax and enjoy time with each other, so age is immaterial. It is a place to return to and we are very much looking forward to our next 'return' - thank you Rendevous!!!

10 Thank Caledoniagirl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
20.3 km away
East Winds
#1 of 13 in Gros Islet
2.3 km away
St. James's Club Morgan Bay

Been to Rendezvous Resort? Share your experiences!