2,962 results
All reviews the upper deck papa dons plunge pool kids club all inclusive plan time share rodney bay hibiscus suite jammers bar banana boat dragonfly restaurant dragon fly water sports all inclusive option steep hillside st lucia day sail
Reviewed 2 May 2005

Ok now, I read all the reviews that folks like myself posted about Windjammer Landing and St. Lucia itself. After reading all the wonderful reviews about the facility and the country, me and my girlfriend decided that St. Lucia and Windjammer Landing was for us!

We stayed at Windjammer Landing from April 16-23, and I must say we weren't impressed at all with the facility and the service's was really, and I mean really sad. If we needed to stay in a 2 bedroom villa to receive exceptional service, then Windjammer is a sad place, and I wouldn't recommend this place whatsoever! We stay in a ocean view room, which was poor by far. First, once we checked in at the facility, the place was kind of crowded due to other's checkin as well. I had called the night before our arrival and asked about potentially being up-graded to a one bedroom villa, without the plunge pool. They said, they didn't have anything right now, but anything was possible. Once we arrive, to my surprise, Faye one of the ambassador's said I was up-graded like I requested the night before. I was happy to hear that news!

Once we went to our room, like I said, it was poor! The room, maybe even the facility needs some renovating very badly! We were so happy to be away from home that we didn't even realize that she had charged us for a room that wasn't even a one bedroom villa. We both read the description of what a one bedroom villa was, and our room wasn't it. We called the front desk back and told them what room we were in, and this didn't fit the description like the web site had mentioned. She said they were sorry and I guess Faye wasn't paying attention to what she was doing and meant to tell us nothing was available. My credit card was refunded because of this error. Back to our room--it was rather small for two people. Very little to no closet space, very small TV, no chair in one's room, how is that possible no chair, or two chairs in one's room?? A bad, barely working refrigerator, two poor lamps, very little dresser space for two folks!

Our first full day in St. Lucia was off to a crazy start. The facility didn't have any water for like 3 hours or longer, just crazy. To hear a facility of this size say they didn't have water in hot weather like St. Lucia is truly crazy. I think they said a water-main had broken or something, I thought that only happened in cold temperature's or something. Each time we called down to the facility, they kept stalling and stalling about what time it'll be up and running. I do recommend the Jammer's Bar and Grill, we ate there one time and the light meal was good, nice and hot! We went to the beach from that point on, and the beach area was very unimpressive. Very small and not much room to manuever on, especially if there are lot's of folks on the beach at the particular time. I hear they are expanding the beach area, but it wont be any time soon from what I can see, but something needs to be done far as beach space.

The internet and ice cream place is nice and wonderful and allows one to keep up with things back home. Go to the store, it has lots of small things you may want, wine, fruit, pop, bug spray and etc etc. We went there just about every night we stayed at Windjammer for one thing or another. The shuttle service was cool, one can't be walking up and down that huge hill everyday, due to the heat and how steep it is going up and down. The shuttle service give's one a chance to meet other guest while waiting for the bus. We didn't eat no dinner's on the facility, the Dragonfly menu seem really out there and nothing on there really seem like worth eating, to each own of course. Due to the menu, we weren't that impress with it and didn't want to eat there.

On a 7 day and 6 night stay, we only had face clothes maybe two days, go figure! House-keeping came to our room everyday, but for some dumb weird reason, the attendants changed our linen everyday, but we never received face clothes. I called them and told the lady how we called yesterday about face clothes, and then, finally someone did get up off their butt and got us some face clothes, two days later. We still never received face clothes throughout our stay like we should have. It got to the point that we got tried of complaining about simple everyday stuff, one night we just cut up a big towel and made face clothes out of it, sad I know!

One night we tried to order a pizza from Papa Don's and what a true diaster that situation turned out to be. We ordered a pizza and the lady told my girlfriend that it would be 30 minutes to an hour, she said ok. Pizza finally arrived to our room and it took them the whole hour and once we opended the pizza, it was a cheese pizza. We ordered a supreme pizza of some kind, and we get a cheese pizza. Think about it, 1 hour for a cheese pizza, 1 hour. At first we weren't going to call back due to all the issue's Windjammer seems to have, but my girlfriend was so hot she said no, they need to know about this! We called back and they apologized and said they would send another one up right away. Almost 20 minutes later, they send us a seafood pizza, I guess, to us to replace our supreme pizza. After almost 90 minutes, they still didn't get it right! The pizza was just horrible in taste and in looks, we almost took everything off of it, I mean what a waste. But it didn't surprise us not one bit, considering our service at Windjammer all week long!

Yes, please beware of the RUDE individual that calls your room everyday about timeshare's on the property. This guy is a JOKE! He called everyday to inquire about us wanting a timeshare. We thought the orientation had something to do with the country and the facility. He called and called and called. One day my girlfriend said he called like every 5 minutes, early in the morning to get us to answer our phone, how RUDE. Even our last day on the property he was still calling, talk about a nightmare! We had already made our mind up that we weren't coming back, so why entertain his call, be ready for this guy, really bad customer service in a serious way!! Ice, I don't know where the island buy's it's ice at, but the ice is a joke and it melts rapidly. It is really hard to get ice and if you have a bad refrigerator like we did, your drink will stay warm and very little support in getting ice! A place of this size don't even have a ice shoot to get ice like hotel's here in America, what a joke that is. Each time you run out, you got to call room service to get ice and that take's like forever to get at times, some times fast, other times really slow.

Back to the refrigerator issue. We finally was able to get a maintenance guy up to our room to check on our refrigerator and again, what a joke that turned out to be! I was half sleep, my girlfriend answered the door and the man stayed less than 5 minutes, in his words, the refrigerator was ok. I couldn't believe he said that one, soon as he came in, he left right back out, really sad. It got to the point where complaining didn't even matter, we just tried to make the most of it. Please all future guest, take or buy some mosquito spray, they are notorious down there. If you come from a somewhat cold climate like I do, your not used to spraying yourself on a daily basis. Buy it, after 2 days I think I had at least 20 bites on my body, and I didn't even feel them at the time they were biting me, buy it, or run the risk of being bitten up, and that's the truth!!

I advised all guest to take a cab to the facility so one can see the country and how different the roads and scenery is compared to most states. It was really exciting, but kind of scary at times though. We wanted to do the helicopter tour from the airport. One can't take their luggage with them, it follows you behind, I didn't like that ideal at all. Any one can go in your baggage and take whatever and you wouldn't know it until much later. Just my opinion though, I just wouldn't trust my luggage with folks I can't keep my eyes on. The road to the Windjammer facility is a joke, man it's a bumpy and horrible ride! I hear they suppose to make it better, but that'll take a life time I'm sure. To conclude our stay at Windjammer, we were suppose to go on a sunset cruise and leave it to Windjammer, something broke down on the boat and we weren't able to do that one. I'm sure they were hot due to them having to refund all that money, the boat was packed that evening! To me and my girlfriend, it was another blunder on Windjammer's behalf. This place totally sucked on our end. I'm sure some folks were there the same dates we were, and probably loved it. But our experience was truly a joke of a joke and not even close to the money we paid for 7 days. If it's a 4-5 star facility, I just didn't see it! Maybe on St. Lucia it is, but not compared to other facilites I've stayed in. And that open air concept is a terrible ideal. Your not cooling off, only thing coming in is birds and mosquito's, it's truly stupid if you ask me, Windjammer needs to renovate and change that ideal, and soon!

And let me say for the record, this isn't a pick on Windjammer review, this is how our trip happened each day we stayed at the facility. I just have a hard time recommending this place! Like I said, if we needed to stay in a 2 bedroom villa, just to get good basic service's, then all guest are in trouble at this place!!

Don't get me wrong, me and my girlfriend met some wonderful folks in St. Lucia, from the cab drivers, to people at the duty-free shops, to just oridinary folks at the Windjammer facility. I just can't give it a passing grade. I wont come back to St. Lucia no time soon. If I do, it'll be for the St. Lucia Jazz Festival. To me it seems like it's not a lot to do on the island, very boring and just bland. Rodney Bay was nice, nice scenery and restaurants, but outside of Castries and Rodney Bay, not much to the island if you as me. They need something or someone to pump some money into it to keep guest coming back like some of the other islands! The USD to me did go far, especially when it came to meals in the town, taxi service and duty-free shopping!

For nice places to eat in town and outside the resort I recommend, Scuttlebutts, we went there twice for lunch and the food was wonderful! At times, we ate so much that dinner wasn't needed because of the good meal there. Big Chef Steakhouse was good and plentyful as well. If you like steak, I do recommend that one stop here and try the food out. Charthouse, the best place on the island to me! When it's lobster season, one has to stop here and try the surf and turf, or the lobster itself, it is the best, never seen anything like it, it's worth the price. One can find these places in Rodney Bay. Spinnakers wasn't a bad place either to grab some lunch, hot burgers.

All I can say is, do your homework when going to St. Lucia, lots of wonderful people there, but limited sites and things to do. All in all we had a good time, but Windjammer as a resort and facility SUCKED big time, be careful when picking this place! We heard guest say throughout their trip how they enjoyed the place, I wasn't impressed at all!!

18  Thank kevin g
Reviewed 30 April 2005

Just returned from 5 wonderful nights in St. Lucia. The Windjammer Landing met and exceeded our expectations. The villa was outstanding (other than the decor). We were in Villa 1, which was on the first "tier" of the cliff, so we always walked...tho it was still quite a climb! Shuttles were always available, tho. The views from our villa were out of this world. We enjoyed our plunge pool morning, noon, and night. It was incredibly hot, so we always appreciated the pool when we got home. The main floor is open, so expect lots of birds and lizards to join you as you relax! The bedrooms were air conditioned and enclosed. Had a few ants, but on the whole, bugs were at a minimum. The staff could not have been more gracious, and the property is gorgeous. The only downer was that they're expanding the beach, so the excavators were going all day. The food was ok...Jammers was great for lunch, buffets at the Upper Deck were fine, but we had a horrible meal at Dragonfly (other reviews were excellent, so maybe we just hit it on the wrong night). Went off-site for dinner two nights. DO NOT MISS THE COAL POT FOR DINNER! It was outstanding!!!!! We went horseback riding on the beach (through Trim's Stables), which was fantastic. We took the Jammers catamaran cruise to the Pitons...a long day, but beautiful. Sean at the activities desk arranged a half day tour of the rainforest for us...our guide, Shane, was beyond wonderful, machete and all! The kids also scuba dived, which was a great experience for them. We didn't relax much, but when we did, the beach was great, though small. We had very few kids on the property...New Hampshire vacation is always a week later than most. Beware of the vendors (be firm, but nice), tho they're not on the Windjammer property, just everywhere else! The fruit was to die for, especially the bananas and pineapples. I can't say enough about our vacation, the Windjammer, St. Lucia, and the people. It was all picture perfect!

13  Thank flopsyosgood
Reviewed 27 April 2005

This is a good resort with comfortable accomodations and great staff. No resort is without some minor blemishes. In Windjammers case, they were minor problems with lack of CD player for room as was promised and a hot tub that should have been named Cool tub. Problems were reported but will eventually be resolved on Island time.

Since Windjammer Landing does cater to families, there were a lot of screaming, crying childern in even the finest restaurants on site. We are used to "adult only" properties and like to tranquility that the likes of Sandals and Couples Resorts offer.

St. Lucia is the perfect island for seeing Whale, Dolphin and Sea Turtles. We did the day trip to Martinique and although Martinique was unimpressive, the trip to and from St. Lucia provided great views of marine life.

Overall, this is a 3 1/2 to 4 star resort with a 5 star staff. Great people and a wonderful island. You'll especially enjoy the tour of the entire country if you fly into the southern airport and take the taxi to Castries. Remember to find someone at the airport to share the cab fare though.

12  Thank Mike K
Reviewed 25 April 2005

We just got back yesterday from a weeks stay at the Windjammer. IT was great. The weather was perfect. It was hot but there was always a breeze.
The staff was great. The service at the bar was a little slow because even tho we were on the all inclusive you still had to sign a tab. Make sure you write in a tip, even on the AI because the staff won't recieve a tip otherwise. The 10% on the bill doesn't go to the waitstaff. It is very misleading when you see that 10% service charge. We had four kids with us. They were 14, 13,12, and 9. They had a great time waterskiing 4-6 times a day. The watersports were excellent and the staff driving the boats were very patient. We took a snorkeling trip from the Carribean diving boat that is at the dock. There are 2 trips. One is $15 that goes to Rodney Bay. We did this one and it was Excellent. The resort offers a free one but I heard there wasn't that much to see. The dive shop also offers a longer trip to some awesome reef. I think that was $26. My son took a scuba lesson and went on that trip and it was the highlight of the trip. The lesson and trip were $105. The Villas are beautiful. Wait until you see the views. The mountain that resort is built on is very steep. I found out the hard way after going for an hour run the first day and the next day I couldn't walk up or down the stairs for a few days. After that I ran along the beaches and dock. Pretty boring but flat. The food was good. The Italain restaurant was nice. We liked all of them. Embers for lunch was good and the service was fast. The ride from the airport was scary. OUr driver made it in record time one hour going back was about 20 minutes slower but I didn't feel like we were going to crash. Please don't forget to tip the waitstaff. They work hard and I'm sure they don't get paid very much.

10  Thank Departure12191
Reviewed 24 April 2005

We just returned today from the Windjammer...April 24 , 2005. We were a little skeptical at first, some reviews were not so great...but we enjoyed it. Our room was really nice ---just a standard room, but large and had a refrigerator, coffee maker, etc. The staff couldn't be nicer. Michaella was our "ambassador" and checked with us to see if everything was ok. Thaddeus at the bar was nice. They are expanding the beach, so soon it will be much better. The beach is small. Dragonfly was good and the burgers at Jammers were good. Personally the all inclusive is not worth it. It costs $100 per person which is the equivalent of $530 EC dollars for 2 people and unless you eat and drink a lot, it will be hard to reach that.
It is definitely a family resort---a lot of younger kids--1-2-3 years old.
We parked ouselves at a far end of the beach away from most kids.
We ventured off property only twice--once in the evening to go to Rodney Bay--uneventful--but Buzz the restaurant was good. Another day to take a day sail all day--we went to the cocoa plantation, volcano, etc.
We love to snorkel and the snorkeling was just ok. It was the best at Anse Chastenet. We also liked to take the Catamaran out. Basically, we just hung out and relaxed----

9  Thank pisces223