2,936 results
All reviews papa dons upper deck plunge pool kids club all inclusive plan time share rodney bay hibiscus suite jammers bar banana boat dragonfly restaurant dragon fly water sports all inclusive option steep hillside st lucia shuttle service
Reviewed 1 May 2012

Myself and three others just came back from the Windjammer Resort where we spent 12 days. We reserved a villa (we had requested 2 bedrooms but it actually had 3 with the third being 2 single beds) and so we were able to stock up on groceries and drinks in our condo and spend much of our time there. It had a plunge pool which made things very nice if we didn't want to go to the main pool. We could tell the resort was a bit older but that added to the uniqueness of the villas. Activities on the island are abundant and we simply ran out of time to do everything (we recommend Charlie's Tours)! The staff at the resort were very friendly and accomodating and I would recommend it to anyone. One word of advice that I would give is that its not great for someone who is mobility challenged. Even though there are shuttles to get to the villas, there is still a lot of up and down walking (either hills or stairs).

We went up to Gros Islet one Friday night -- highly recommended. The resort can be a bit quiet for the "heavy partiers" but Gros Islet on Friday is anything but quiet. Great food, great entertainment.

Dive shop on the resort was very good, professional and knowledgeable. I commend JR and Fern on how they operate their dives and appreciated their care in taking my friend out for the first time.

Room Tip: For a group of people or a family, the villas are the way to go.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 April 2012

every year better & better...nice & polite staff...plenty of daily activity...etc etc...

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 April 2012

A good way to judge a place is the way in which they help your family deal with a medical emergency whilst on holiday. One of our party had to spend some time in hospital and Windjammer staff could not do enough to help us. Darrel (our ambassador) spent many hours with us and was a great source of reassurance and support and for that we will aways be grateful. The Lady Helen is another ambassador to whom nothing is too much trouble and she has a smile that would brighten anyones' day.

We have visited 6 times and the resort is simply a great place to stay. The food is good but has changed in recent years. The Dragonfly used to be a great dining experience that we visited as many nights as we could but not on this trip. It was okay but nothing special. Papa Dons is great food but the restaurant gets unbearably hot and I don't know why they can't get better fans to cool it down. The Upper Deck has great steaks and is a lovely place to sit for an evening meal. Jammers is just what a beach bar should be, open and windswept. It is even better when Barry is working because he plays his tunes and provides an atmosphere that is often not there. We ate out at numerous restaurants in Rodney Bay because we could not get in to resort restaurants at suitable times. Why close a restaurant one night a week and lose your business during the Easter holidays?

We have a villa at the top of the hill and the view is spectacular. Yes you need a shuttle to get there but I assure you it is worth it. Some earlier reviewers have said the place is shabby. I think some places need refreshed but everyday you see the maintenance teams at work and you know that work is being done. A lick of paint does not take away the beauty of this place.

A special mention has to go to the kids club. The range of activities that they organise for the children is fantastic and at times we had to drag ours away. Gale, Macrena, Sharon and Kizzie provide a service that entertains and stimulates the kids. My 4yr old boy wants to marry Kizzie and even now asks me why I did not bring her home!

Too many staff to mention them all but the following gave us exceptional service and are worth a mention. Valerie & Ronnie (Jammers), Vanessa (Embers), Arlington (shuttle driver), Dominica (House keeping), Sharon & Gloria (Dragonfly), Esme (reception) and Richard & John (managers).

4  Thank Gary L
Reviewed 27 April 2012

We stayed for a week over Easter with our 2 teenage daughters and really loved it. Our villa was beautiful (no.33), loads of space, massive comfy beds - can't remember sleeping so well....ever, and ok, compared to some other hotels, yes the furnishings might look a little dated but to me it was just very Caribbean and very comfortable.
Our idea to stay room only worked really well. There is a well stocked hotel shop or a great supermarket in Rodney Bay to provide you with all your needs, had lunch everyday in Jammmers (great menu) and ate out most nights in Rodney Bay with its fabulous choice of restaurants (except Lime - not good).
I can really recommend this hotel, particularly those travelling with kids of all ages, with its well run kids club and free watersports.
The hillside is steep but I never had to wait more than a couple of minutes for the shuttle and for me it was a bit of a shame that there were no bars or restaurants within walking distance of the hotel but the only real downside, and I think the hotel should really take note, is that they need to provide more sun shades on the beach and around the pool. I couldn't find any shade on the first day so as a result - despite factor 50 - we all got a bit burnt. But apart form that it was a fab holiday.

Reviewed 26 April 2012

I felt compelled to write this after seeing a number of poor recent reviews. OK, so we're not resort holiday experts as we tend to stay in villas when on holiday, however that is because we have left the handful of resorts we have stayed at before with a feeling of disappointment and even of a holiday wasted. Until now that is.

We spent the Easter holidays here with our two children aged 4 and 6. We've all had an amazing break, and actually want to go back for more next year! The resort isn't perfect, but then what is I guess, but I wish I'd been able to give 4.5 stars (or 9 out of ten) as so many things were right.

Granted there were small annoyances and we have pointed these out to Mark the MD in a private email, so before I get onto the great stuff, here's our take on the downsides.

1: we arrived before our luggage (helicopter transfer was well worth the expense) and it took some chasing to get our bags delivered to the suite.

2: one of the mosquito nets was full of holes and that was never replaced despite reporting it. We fixed it ourself by cunning tying of knots in the net

3: only one of the three phones in the villa worked when we arrived and neither did the internet connection and this took a few days to fix

4: most of the restaurants had to be booked a couple of days in advance, at least for the early sittings that we prefer.

5: some (but by no means all) of the restaurant service was less than enthusiastic; I thought that some of the staff looked like they were disengaged. Thinking about it perhaps they were trying to switch off from some of the guests' excesses; St Lucia is after all a poor country with often basic living conditions and very low wages and it must be quite hard to deal with watching some of the amounts of food and drink being consumed - and wasted. Enough philosophising though!

Perhaps we are particularly laid back but to us these were small annoyances and certainly did not stop us from thoroughly enjoying our holiday.

Highlights for us were:

The situation and layout of the resort as a whole. The villa that we stayed in was really well designed and although we had one of the open fronted 3 bed villas we were not bothered by the birds, in fact it was fun to have them around. The plunge pool was a great place to cool off in and the main terrace really spacious. Plus there were two other terraces! Yes, the villa could do with a spruce up, with rather old tiles, bathroom and kitchen furniture, and but all the paint work was new and it was very well equipped. The maid service was very good, the place certainly felt clean.

The beach area was like one big playground with a great array of quality water sports including endless waterskiing and two snorkelling trips each day with good informative guides.

A lot of the food was excellent, particularly the fish in all the restaurants and the steaks in The Upper Deck - superb. Lunch menus were good and varied with some local food as well as international dishes. Minor gripe would be that the menus seem fixed with little thought of revolving specials, and also some of the desserts were uninspiring, with the notable exception of the Pecan Pie - sublime!

We had a great time sampling the huge range of cocktails, and I for one can vouch that the rum punch was not short of a generous measure of rum!

Our daughter has to have a gluten (wheat etc) free diet, and although the hotel doesn't stock much in the way of special diet food, all the restaurants were more than happy to accomodate her, taking her special pizza bases to a 'clean' oven, making special batches of chips and burgers for her and so on.

I've mentioned that some of the restaurant service wasn't great, however some of it was excellent. Honourable mentions must go to John the food general manager, Ronnie in Jammers, Marcus in Embers and Jeanette in Upper Deck. Thanks John for the Jerk marinade that we have in our fridge! :-)

Our experience with the concierge and excursion arranging team was excellent. Nothing seemed to be too much trouble for them, from booking restaurants in neighbouring towns to organising boat charters and taxis.

Now for the kids' club. We went away hoping that our children might want to spend a bit of time there so we could relax without having to keep a constant eye out for them. In fact the girls who worked there(Macrina, Sharron, Kizzie and everyone else) were so good and got to know the children so well that we had to drag our 6 year old away so we could reacquaint ourselves with her from time to time, such a good time was she having! Her younger brother spent a good few sessions there too but he was happiest in the sea where he seemed to make a good number of friends so that was absolutely fine, it was his holiday too!

I'm aware that this has turned out to be a pretty long review, and these things are so subjective, but I've gone to these lengths as I can't understand how anyone can be really negative about Windjammer Landing. There must be a lot of logistical challenges in delivering a luxury experience on such a scale in such a place and it is obvious that an awful lot of hard work goes into making a place like this tick. And they succeed very well in most areas.

Hopefully we'll be back this time next year to enjoy it all again!

Room Tip: Try to get one close to the beach, it's not ideal getting a shuttle and the hills can be very steep to walk up in the heat
5  Thank Virgin_Express