Rainforest Inn(El Yunque National Forest)
All reviewsher grandsonel yunquegas stationunique experiencesan juantreated like familyhome away from homeamazing hostsan amazing viewacdirectionsguavaroadsdogtrees
Reviewed 15 March 2017

La Paloma is a wonderful place ; we are so lucky to have found it.

It is quite literally a 'home away from home'. Nilda went so far out of her way to help us ; by cooking us wonderful local food, helping us with excursions (and then sending someone along with us) and having coconuts pulled from her trees.

The setting is spectacular and the place is unique. The views are just amazing and it was wonderful waking-up to such an amazing view. Also the pool was great ; just what we needed after a day hiking in El Yunque.

My young children also loved the unique experience and I would thoroughly recommend it.

The whole experience was unique ; for example Nilda had some friends using the pool and we sat around talking, eating and drinking with them. It is just what I like when on holiday, as it is great speaking to locals. If you prefer privacy and luxury, one of the character-less hotels near San Juan might be a better fit for you, but for us, this was great.

Thank you, Nilda.

Room Tip: Every room was great
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank akf100
Reviewed 8 October 2016 via mobile

True experience of life with a lovely family in the middle of the rainforest - sounds of coqui, Puerto Rican Food, and one the the most amazing view! Stay here for an unforgettable experience! Thanks Nilda and family!

Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jjb811
Reviewed 11 August 2016

So, let's start by saying that this place is amazing. I mean, it's a private room with AC and enormous bed and private bathroom with a POOL overlooking the RAINFOREST. Done.

But, beyond this place being great in itself, the big reason why you need to stay here is NILDA. Nilda is your hostess and she is truly Mother Earth incarnate. She cooked us food, gave us wine, and told us stories about the Taino people of Puerto Rico. You get background of the place you're staying with a truly warmhearted, earnest woman who feels like she's your long lost grandmother.

Stay here. Don't blow it. Nilda, we love you.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ben A
Reviewed 23 July 2016

My son and I stayed with Nilda for 5 night of our 7 night trip to Puerto Rico. We had an amazing experience here. If you are someone who likes a luxury hotel, then this is probably not for you, but if you like to get off the beaten path and learn about the people who live in the place you are visiting, you will love this! Nilda was a wonderful, welcoming hostess. She and her grandson, Johnny, gave us many ideas of how to spend our time on the eastern side of the island. They gave us directions to beautiful beaches and fun activities. We started our trip with 2 days at a guest house near San Juan so that we could explore that area and then moved to LaPaloma to explore El Yunque and the eastern side of Puerto Rico. It was the perfect plan.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
3  Thank shullbierwirth
Reviewed 22 April 2016 via mobile

As we were pulling up I saw Nilda standing in front of her house with the gate open for us. We had called from just down the road to let her know we were close. I waved at her and she returned it with a warm smile and spread her arms in welcome. She gave my wife, 2 sons and I a big hug as we stepped out of our car. The education began then and there. Nilda spent the afternoon discussing and demonstrating her Taino heritage and customs. She took us in to meet her husband who is suffering ill health but was also very welcoming and interesting to talk to. The view from the patio and deck are breath taking. My sons really enjoyed playing the traditional drums. The pool was very refreshing and chemical free. Our home cooked meal prepared by her grandson was both very filling and absolutely delicious. My wife and I had the room at the end of the pool. It was very clean, large and had a king-size bed. Although we only booked 1 room for the 4 of us Nilda opened up the downstairs room for my sons. Breakfast the next morning was equally as delicious as our supper the night before. Nilda freely discussed the history and politics of the island and the treatment of the Taino people. Nilda does not "charge" for the extras such as meals only the room. You decide what the meals, life lessons and exposure to her culture is worth. Please be generous. I can't say enough about our stay. We all wished we could stay more than 1 night.

Stayed: April 2016, travelled with family