All reviews her grandson gas station unique experience treated like family home away from home amazing hosts ac directions guava roads dog
Reviewed 21 February 2006

I want to first say that the price was very good and Nilda is a lovely person. When we arrived she made us shrimp soup because we hadn't had lunch and then showed us around the property. We enjoyed hearing the history of the Taino Indians and getting such an extraordinary view. It really was a delight to meet her. That being said, you get what you pay for here. Our room was big, but the bathroom was tiny and outdated. The knob on the air conditioner was missing and my husband had to practically take the whole unit apart to change the setting. Also, the TV started beeping after we went to bed, which was annoying. We probably would have liked it a lot more if the beds had been better -- the sheets and coverlet smelled bad enough to keep waking me up, and my husband's back was really sore the next morning. When we left at 8 am to check out the next morning I knocked on the door upstairs but whoever was sleeping on the couch in the living room didn't wake up. It was awkward, so I left a note. If you really enjoy off the beaten path and are looking for value, this is for you. If you somewhat enjoy off the beaten path but like to have your creature comforts at the same time (like me), then this is probably not the best place.

• Stayed: February 2006
6  Thank Lopeyt
Reviewed 27 December 2005

The guest house is a great steal for its price. The owner Nilda is the nicest lady i have ever met: helpful phone consersation for all the questions i have, interesting introduction to the native indian culture, great food and coffee.

The place is convenient to Fajardo and the rain forest. If i can revisit, i will stay in the place again and maybe bring stuff to have BBQ in the open area. The view from the house is excellent.

hope this helps.

best,
ying

• Stayed: December 2005
4  Thank Footprints20588
Reviewed 24 April 2005

My daughters and I were looking for a simple, inexpensive way to get to Vieques for a few days. We noticed that La Paloma in Ceiba advertised pick up service from the airport for a nominal fee and, based upon the previous good reviews and very modest prices, booked a room.

Our 11:30 p.m. arrival time was unexpectedly delayed until 1:30 a.m. and we were very nervous about what to do when we landed. No one would wait around at that time of night, would they? Thank goodness for Nilda! Not only was she there, she put her arms around me and said, "Thank goodness I found you." Thank goodness she found me? How gracious can you get?

We had planned on leaving the next day, but it was so relaxing there, cool breezes, lush grounds, mountain views, great pool accessed via a path down the hill, and a family that instantly accepted you into their hearts, we needed one more day.

The room was spacious with two queen size beds, closets, dressers, a microwave and a fridge. The walls were decorated with Taino art. I think there was a TV there too, but we don't use one. Coqui frogs sing you to sleep at night.

Nilda is generous to a fault and her daughter Laura dropped us at the ferry the next day. Nilda's grandchildren were home for a holiday and played with my children for the entire day.

Ceiba is a part of Puerto Rico not many tourists get to, now that Roosevelt Roads has closed. The entrance to El Yunque, Luquillo Beach, and the big stores in Fajardo are all less than a half hour away. Yet sitting up in the countryside, you'd never know it. Come to La Paloma for an experience you'll never forget.

• Stayed: April 2005
9  Thank saus1
Reviewed 31 March 2005

La Paloma was terrific. Beautiful surroundings of mountains and the rain forest! Pool was nice. rooms were large and clean with plenty of light and mirrors. A/C that you could control and satellite TV, small fridge, microwave & coffee maker!
The staff is mostly family and treats their guests as such. They will tell you good locations to visit and are more than happy to take you there!
I would definitely stay at La Paloma again and recommend it to others!

• Stayed: March 2005
8  Thank NY_Celly
Reviewed 2 January 2005

Very peaceful and the view is spectacular! The staff is very friendly and helpful for anything you need, including suggestions for places to eat and visit.

• Stayed: January 2005