“A great find with amazing food, good service and atmosphere”

Ficus Mexican Bar & Grill
Ranked #766 of 1,045 Restaurants in San Juan
Price range: USD 5 - USD 20
Cuisines: Mexican, International
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating
Reviewed 2 March 2017

After a long series of flights and after a day of sun, my friend and I asked the front desk and valet of the Sheraton where a good little place was to eat and close. Well it could not be any closer unless it was right inside of the hotel. They both stated it was an outdoor restaurant like it was something bad! When in San Juan in Feb from Canada, you want to be outside. They recommended the steak.

We arrived and were greeted with smiling faces and helpful staff. We chose a smaller table for ourselves. As soon as we agreed to share the trio fajitas, the server brought an extra table. Little did we know that we would need it. Order a starter of the fried plantains - and they were amazing. The hot sauce they come with is so good. A very large portion for the price.

I ordered the white sangria and my friend ordered the red sangria. Both were amazing. I am a sangria snob. I have tried sangrias on 3 continents and over 14 counties - this was in my top 3 (including Mexico and Spain)

Then she brings out the tortillas and the sides for the fajitas. That alone need the extra table. We order the trio - shrimp chicken and steak. The steak was so delicious, we fought over who would have more, as I am not a chicken girl. The chicken was even really good and the shrimp were large and cooked perfectly. we both eat three fajitas and there was still left over fixings. This is a great plate to share.

The atmosphere was perfect. They played awesome music from latino artists!! I have a playlist on my phone that contained all the songs they were playing so I was in heaven. Then they had alive entertainment towards the end of our meal. She was incredible. and we stayed longer just to listen to her.

The service was amazing. You never felt rushed and they let us take our time and made great recommendations. The menu had so many good items that we decided to come back for lunch the next day.

The next day - were were back. During the day it had such a different feel and look to it, but I liked it just as much. I ordered the wrap I really wanted to order the night before and was not disappointed. My friends has the tacos, $3.50 each, she ordered the chicken and shrimp. I tried them and they were great!!!

This is a must eat at place when in San Juan!!

There are newer reviews for Ficus Mexican Bar & Grill

Reviewed 1 March 2017

We recently stayed in San Juan and visited Ficus Mexican Bar & Grill. It is located just a stones throw from the convention center. The entrance confused us because it was clogged up with trash and cases of beverages, but we eventually realized it was the primary entrance (strange).

The restaurant is completely outdoors but almost all of the tables are under a large canopy type cover. We were seated quickly and ordered local beer. The selection of beverages is fairly typical for Puerto Rico - several American brands and the usual entries from the Caribbean.

We asked for and received tortilla chips that came with three different types of dipping sauces: a plain almost tomato paste dip, a spicy tomato/salsa dip, and a black bean type dip. The chips were fresh and the dips were pretty good. For main meals we had the standard Mexican entrees: Burritos and Tacos. The food was average - the outdoor seating made it pleasant.

But then, they had a DJ start blaring music so loud that you could not hold a conversation. This was in addition to music that the restaurant was already playing over the overhead speaker system. We requested (several times) that the restaurant ask the DJ to lower the volume, but that never happened. As a result we could not really hear each other talk, so we finished our meals, paid our bill, and left.
We went elsewhere for after dinner drinks (if the music had been toned down we would have stayed at Ficus).

If you are in the area and you are hard of hearing (or the DJ is not there) and you are OK with average Mexican food in a pleasant outdoor setting you might enjoy Ficus. If the DJ is active you may want to wear earplugs or dine elsewhere.

Reviewed 17 February 2017 via mobile

How can I review the s place without eating there? 2017 Annual Private Schools Convention .... annual event..... kitchen was closed at Lunch because they did not have enough personnel. Absolutely substandard management. I am forced to eat nothing because of isolation of place.... PPPPPP Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance. Mr Torres, do something!. Sat on a chair with stomach pangs.... then went to workshop.... Ficus = Hunger! Avoid!!!!

Reviewed 16 February 2017 via mobile

I came here for lunch with my coworker during our break from a convention. We had to sit at the bar because the server wouldn't go by our table to take our order or give us menus. When we finally placed our order we waited for 40 minutes only to be told that it was going to take another 20 minutes to get our food. We cancelled our order and returned to the convention. NEVER AGAIN.

Reviewed 3 February 2017 via mobile

Great service and atmosphere! We were in for a conference and we're looking for something close to hotel. Next to the hotel and was very fairly priced.