“creativity and amazing flavor”
Review of Cocina Abierta

Cocina Abierta
Reserve with OpenTable
Cocina Abierta is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #20 of 1,124 Restaurants in San Juan
Cuisines: International, Fusion
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Established in 2010. We are an interactive culinary environment. At our restaurant we create and interpret the culinary ideas inspired from different cultures, products, and techniques. Our always evolving menu is a result of the interaction and interchange of different experiences. An open kitchen, eclectic and without limitations. Because cooking is our passion. Historically cooking evolved through the interaction and exchange of cultures. Through this premise and advances in technology our project, Cocina Abierta, was born, designed for the sharing and development for our passion.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

this is as romantic as it can get for a dinner date.

they have ballet parking so you don't have to worry about where you leave your car.

they have an outdoor sitting area as well as a inside area.

as we walked in the place has a very rustic and at the same time romantic decor and very sexy atmosphere that the dimmed lighting produces.

the hostess stand is by the door as always, I though they were a bit confused about what they were doing at first but once they got the grip everything was ok.

they sat us next to a family with kids and all, that sucked a bit and took a lot of the mood out of my dinner, but I powered through and shortly after sitting I forgot all about the family next to us.

the waiter was very friendly and super knowledgeable of the menu and gave us quite great advices on the meals that would work well for us.

we got a bottle of pinot noir and that was great choice for our dinner, get a bottle of wine if possible.

now for our meal, the food here is a spin of traditional and innovative they do very creative spins on the food and they are amazing at making it taste memorable.

now what we had:

CALAMARES - these were no regular calamaris they were special in every way, the batter was soft and well cooked, the calamari was so nice and not rubbery at all, it was like it melted in my mouth, the miso glaze made the calamari that much more special in taste.

PATO GLACEADO EN MAIZ Y PINA- i was a bit skeptical with this one as there is a apple sauce involved here, but once we actually Tasted, omg what a magical combo this apple sauce was on the plate. the duck was cooked to perfection and the duck croquette that came with the plate was so good I wish they served more than on on the plate. this was a great choice.

BOLOGNESA DE LANGOSTINO- this was a risk as well as the pasta had some clack ink from the sea food with it but the flavor did not let me down. this pasta and seafood combo is very traditional but the way they cooked and served was amazing in every way. this is definitely a must if possible.

GOAT CHEESE CHEESECAKE - this is pretty straight forward desert and the goat cheese spin was pretty nice. not a very amazing desert but if you are a super fan of cheesecake perhaps this can be an adventure for you.

CREME BRULEE WITH LAVENDER - OMG this is AMAZING desert. best creme brulee I have ever had in my existence, and I have been in Paris. the mix of the sweet and the lavender WAS UNIQUE AND EXQUISITE. this is a very good spin on this dish, I am amazed.

overall this is a great date night spot, keep in mind that the dishes are not super large in serving so you will probably need to have some appetizers with your main dishes and sharing makes the moment even more special ;)

the prices are a bit on the upscale in comparing to the size of the servings but none the less the quality is outstanding!

this is definitely one of the best dining experiences I have had on vacation.

2  Thank 502ericaf

Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

I hosted the most beautiful welcome dinner and cocktail hour for my friends at Cocina Abierta’s private dinning room, El Atelier. It totally exceeded my expectations. From the moment I started communicating with their event planner Cristina García, I knew the event would go flawlessly, and it well did!!! The setting and ambiance were perfect for the event. Everyone was in awe. Food was delicious and service was impeccable. I will completely and unarguably recommend Cocina Abierta for either dinner and cocktails or a special event.

1  Thank Pedro M
Reviewed 1 April 2018

This restaurant was recommended to us by friends. The menu is very small and everything is priced so that you would order 4-5 items for 2 people. They have a very interesting menu in that they have a different approach to how they cook the foods (such as the octopus with hummus). The flavors mixed together very well, and we were thoroughly impressed with the food! The staff service was a bit slow than what I would expect in a place like that.

Reviewed 1 April 2018

We came in for a very nice Friday nite dinner the environment nice, not very crowded promised to be a fun night. Well service was rushed almost rude the waiter was always interrupting. We felt very uncomfortable the food was great and not expensive but the waitress killed the moment. We asked if she could bring a dessert with a candle and she could not and quite honestly that was the killer.

Reviewed 29 March 2018

We love finding unique restaurants when traveling. Cocina Abierta has a refined menu with local ingredients and maintains a Puerto Rican flare and flavor. After eating so much mofongo, it was nice to enjoy lighter fare.

And while the restaurant is more refined than other local places, the prices were very reasonable.

1  Thank Sofia H