“Mixed Feelings”

Ranked #24 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Concord, North Carolina
“Mixed Feelings”
Reviewed 23 March 2012

I too, have to agree with several of the past reviewers that this could be a great place to stay if the management would just fix some minor details. First the pluses of the Cervantes: The location was great. My husband and I were able to walk everywhere in Old San Juan. Although small, the room was quite sufficient for our needs. Very nice decor. Pleasant staff. Now the minuses: The noise from the street behind the building can carry late at night. Two of the three nights we were there we were woken up by some rowdy folks walking home from a neighboring bar. There's nothing the management can do about it, it's just the nature of the location. The lovely shower didn't have a small shelf to put shampoo, soap, etc on while showering. Really inconvenient. The floors were not as clean as I would have expected. I found a quarter and a bottle cap on the carpet from a previous tenant. There was also a small amount of mildew build-up beneath the shower door. I wouldn't have noticed it, but since I had to bend over to pick up my shampoo bottle (due to no shelf in the shower) it was evident that the corners were not cleaned well. Finally, I had an issue with the hotel after check-out. I had wanted to use a different credit card to pay for the stay rather than the one I guaranteed the room with. I gave the clerk the different card, she swiped it and gave me a receipt. When I got home and checked both credit card accounts, both accounts were charged the full fee. She didn't release the hold on the original card and it went through in addition to the charge on the second card. It took a couple of weeks to resolve. I let American Express handle it. Like I said, really mixed feelings about the hotel...

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank dramaq
CervantesprGM, Front Office Manager at Cervantes, responded to this review, 26 March 2012
Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to write us. I apologize that your experience was anything less than satisfying. Our goal is to not only meet the needs of each and every guest we serve, but to exceed your expectations to make your stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible.

Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us. Feedback such as yours assists us in improving our service and property on a daily basis. In addition, please know that your comments and issues will be addressed and will be solved as soon as possible.

If we can provide any assistance, don't hesitate to contact us directly at 787-724-7722

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 22 March 2012

The hotel and our Junior Suite Room were beautiful on the surface and it was also a nice location. But there were many issues. Phones in the room didn't work. Light in over the sink in the bathroom didn't work (we tried and tried to make it work, finally figuring out if we slammed the bathroom door it would come on, but only once). The vent in the bathroom was a direct link to the room next door - it was as if our neighbors were in our room with us. The safe in the room didn't work. Needless to say we were disappointed. You might wonder why we didn't go down to the front desk for help (remember our phones didn't work), the young man that checked us told us he'd been there for 2 weeks and seemed to be a bit overwhelmed as it was, we didn't think he'd be able to do anything, we were there only one night so we just lived with the issues. Ultimatly a good hotel stay rests on the details and they were not at the Cervantes Hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JodiDH503
CervantesprGM, Front Office Manager at Cervantes, responded to this review, 24 March 2012
Dear Guest:

If I can provide any assistance, don't hesitate to contact me directly at 787-724-7722
Keerbergen, Belgium
Reviewed 18 March 2012

The Cervantes is situated entering old San Juan in a busy street, just accross a parking. Expensive but a a luxury when you are travelling by car. Next to the Cervantes are 5 or more restaurants that attract the cruise people. Which also means that after 10pm they are deserted.
Our room was small but since we only stayed one night and never spend a lot of time in the room, it was very OK. Perfect bathroom with plenty hot water. For some reason the restaurant, which is really very stylish with a nice menu, was closed (we had seen it open the week before). It also meant that we could not order extra's to the free breakfast (included when you book via Booking.com) that consisted of 4 slices of toast, two cookies and 2 small cakes (for two people). About outside noise... well there is the noise of the garbage trucks, but I think you just need to understand that this is normal in a city with narrow streets that gets overcrowded during the day with cruise people and needs a thorough cleaning every day. We had room 12 (3d floor) at the back of the hotel overlooking a narrow street. Service at the reception desk and at breakfast was perfect.

Room Tip: Room 12, 3d floor, back of the hotel.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
CervantesprGM, Front Office Manager at Cervantes, responded to this review, 22 March 2012
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to write us regarding your recent stay at our hotel.

Again, thank you for write us and if I can be of assistance to you, don't hesitate to contact me directly at 787-724-7722

Kindest Regards!
Reviewed 28 February 2012

Its not what it looks like in the pictures, the elevator was not working, the 2nd night we had to leave because they had no electricity. They helped us to look for another hotel, but I had to argue with the so that they would pay for the taxi to move. We had to take all our staff thru stairs, 4th floor, no lights. Without any help. We had to pay for the other hotel. I wouldnt go back.

• Stayed February 2012
4 Thank Oceanvagabond1
CervantesprGM, Front Office Manager at Cervantes, responded to this review, 9 March 2012
Dear Guest,

We are sorry for the inconvenience. Please know that our staff is always willing to assist our guests in any of their needs. We are glad to inform you that we took care of our issues with the electricity and they will not occur again. Please, give us the opportunity to serve you again, you will not be disappointed.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 25 February 2012

We loved our stay here. The room we booked was the king suite and we did not get any disturbance from the outside noise. Great location for those into the nightlife too. We would stay here again. We stayed here before taking a cruise and the location for the departure day was perfect...like walking distance perfect!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple