“Incredible Fajitas and Margaritas - Consistently Good!”
Review of Panucho's

Panucho's
Ranked #193 of 1,148 Restaurants in San Juan
Price range: USD 3 - USD 10
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 31 August 2017

This was my second time at Panucho's and it was just as good as the previous time. I heard they had a Wednesday night Fajitas and Margaritas special so I decided to stop in. I ordered the steak fajitas and a tamarind margarita. My drink was prepared right away. He gave me chance to try cayenne salt on the edge of the glass. It was good but I decided I preferred regular salt. Try it if you like a little "heat" with the margarita. My fajitas took a little long to come out but that was likely due to the large dinner crowd. My sizzling plate of fajitas came out along with four tortillas and some sides of guacamole (great), sour cream, cheese, and refried beans. The whole meal was fantastic and the vibe was great as well. If you have a desire for Mexican food, stop by Panucho's. The whole meal including tip was about $20.

Reviewed 30 August 2017

As mexican restaurants go, this place is good, but it needs to put in a little bit more of extra effort to make it better.

Located in the Loiza St. which has become the new foodie center of San Juan, it has the benefit of a parking area almost in front of the restaurant (parking is very scarce in this area). The restaurant has 3 or 4 communal tables, that is, large tables where you will have to sit with other people. But there are tables for 4 and 2 if you are lucky to get them.

I ordered their loaded nachos, which surprised me positively with all the chicken it had. Unfortunately, the cast iron skillet it was delivered in was not hot enough to keep the food at least warmer than usual, so at the end, the food was tepid. I ordered carnitas fajitas and had a curious experience here. Some of the chunks of meat were overcooked and others were cooked to perfection. The overcooked ones did not taste bad, they were on the crunchy side, and were edible. Just don't know if the cook intended the plate to come out this way or if it was just sheer inconsistency. The fajitas needed more onion and peppers but overall they were good. The margaritas were just ok, not great.

The service was good although it turned a little slow. I was in no rush to leave so I did not mind.

Reviewed 28 August 2017

I've been to Panucho's several times, for lunch, dinner and just to hang out. The specials are delightful and more importantly, tasteful. Not your typical Mexican fare, either. The atmosphere is lively, the staff and service for the most part excellent -- and the margaritas (I am told) are superb.

Reviewed 9 August 2017 via mobile

A Great relax and yet fun place to have margaritas with your friends. Try the oversized margarita with cointrau. It's to die for!!

Reviewed 28 July 2017 via mobile

Have you ever left a restaurant feeling disappointed? Well I did, the food was very authentic and delicious the service was not. We quickly ordered and while waiting for our food the waitress was more interested in what was going on outside of the restaurant. As if that wasn't bad enough while we waited, looking out the windows, we saw locals climbing a gate, out of a private property with some sort of fruits in a basket. Quickly as that was happening the waitress had the audacity to accuse us of recording or taking a foto of the locals and told us if we uploaded it into a social media we shouldn't write a hateful message. She comes out of no where telling us to write the correct hashtag and the correct story of how they make a living selling the fruits, as if we were going to post something bad or as if we were bullying the locals. Frankly we didn't even know why she was so rude. Accusing us of being part of the problem just like everyone else, who sends the wrong messages into social media. And other information that was not our concern.

As a television producer with a B.A mayor in communications I more than know the legal rights of filming and sending out information into mass media communications without legal consent of the persons being filmed or photograph. In any case the waitress who accused us of judging; judged us without knowing what was happening.

Eating the food while feeling discomfort and judged. Don't recommend it.