“Fantastic Mofongo Relleno con pollo - inexpensive, local - highly recommend”

Cafe Manolin Old San Juan
Ranked #38 of 1,140 Restaurants in San Juan
Cuisines: Caribbean
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 9 June 2016

If you walk around Old San Juan, most places have someone outside to try to pull you in. We walked by and stopped here by chance. This is the place for lunch (note - they closed at 4:30).

I had the Mofongo relleno con pollo. The waiter (owner?) recommended it by walking over to two ladies and pointed to them: one chicken, one shrimp. They both shook their heads yes and gave a thumbs-up! They were so happy, I thought they might be a plant. But then, a guy at the counter said "I don't know what they did to this steak, but it's better than any rib eye I've ever had!" Was this an elaborate plot? No - for some reason, the people at the counter where we sat talked to each other. But - back to the food.

The Mofongo relleno was amazing, especially with the sauce "This one is for the mofongo" sauce. The rice & beans were the perfect side.

My wife had garlic shrimp - she said they were delicious but a smaller helping. The mofongo was plenty - it's been a few hours and I still feel stuffed! :-)

Finally, the prices were really good - MUCH better than the places on the main drag. And they closed at 4:30. We got there about 4:27 and were happily seated. Someone tried at 4:35: no dice. You have to love that! Therefore, be there before 4:30 for sure.

By all means - stop in here! They have breakfast & lunch.

1  Thank professorroyhinkley

Reviewed 4 June 2016 via mobile

We came here for breakfast I ordered an egg and cheese sandwich along with homemade orange juice. They have this spicy yellow sauce that went great with my sandwich. The service was great. Very reasonably priced.

Reviewed 2 June 2016

Cafe was recommended by the crew of the cruise ship. Great little cafe, prices were very reasonable and the monfongo was amazing. We will be going back next month.

Reviewed 26 May 2016

Researched before our trip this past April 2016 and this was one of the places that we found here on trip advisor. We were not disappointed! I had the chicken mofongo and my shrimp mofongo. DELICIOUS!!! Beer priced on the high side...I guess that is why we saw lots of people drinking water. Waiters not so friendly...just going about doing their job. But the food you can't go wrong.

1  Thank NewOrleansCruiser
Reviewed 24 May 2016 via mobile

Nice place. Good service. Good food. Good prices. One of the best places to eat in old San Juan. If driving park car in La Puntilla or other parking in the area