“Great hotel”

Caribe Hilton San Juan
Ranked #18 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 5 April 2012

My husband & I loved this resort. The staff was very helpful and accomodations were excellent.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Nitzamarie-Escalera, Coordinator at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2012

Great! We love to have you back with us! Thank you for your review!

Reviewed 4 April 2012

I was excited to go there. The have a great outdoor lobby - great lounge chairs, bar, ambience, etc. HOWEVER, I found service to be less than average. I never expect anyone to jump for me but they weren't minimally enthused to be there, much less help you. Nor apologetic when they made a mistake.

The grounds are gorgeous. The rooms are VERY comfortable. Views......delightful. I just wasn't impressed with the staff

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room away from the elevator.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Amelia C
Nitzamarie-Escalera, Coordinator at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2012

Thank you for sharing your experience with us, we really appreciate the feedback. We are deeply sorry that you left our property feeling this way, this is unacceptable. I will forward this infomation to our management to avoid this to happen again. We thank you for your feedback, we work very hard for a 100% but there is always room for improvement.

Reviewed 4 April 2012

I really didn’t like this hotel. Part of it was the “little things” that kind of irked me the whole time I was here. And sometimes it is the little things that can ruin a stay.

First of all, although the employees are pleasant and nice people all around, this place is completely disorganized.

Yesterday, for example, I had to send a fax to my office. I went to the business center, and the person in charge was on their lunch break. There is a phone there for the operator, and they said the front desk could do it. I went down there and there was ONE person checking people in and SEVENTEEN people in line. I walked up to see if there was an area I could fax something, and the woman said yes, but I had to wait in line. I walked over to the concierge and said that lunch time was a “difficult time” for that. Huh? Because people take lunch breaks during a time when a lot of people are naturally checking in? Took over an hour for me to send a fax.

Yesterday morning when we were heading to the pool, I called housekeeping and asked them to make up room, but drop off shampoo and conditioner since we didn’t have any. Came back? No shampoo or conditioner. So I called and asked. Went to the pool, then dinner. Came back? None. Called. Went to bar and watched a basketball game. Came back. None. Called again (it was now 10:30 pm). Said they would “be right there”. Hour later? Nothing. I finally asked to talk to the manager of the hotel. Next thing you know? Woman shows up with a whole bag full of shampoo and conditioner. At 11:30 pm or so. Finally.

Yesterday…. Went to the pool. No towels. Went to the concierge. No towels. Went to the front desk. They said “one moment, we will take care of it”. 45 minutes later finally got towels to go to pool.

And then there is the rooms. Bathroom… lock broken, no soap tray (broken off). Remote control on TV horrible. Numbers do not work on it, so you have to leaf channel by channel… and you had to squeeze it with all your strength and even then it did not work sometimes. (It would be nice if they put a channel guide in the room also… little things)

Then this evening… my daughter and I had wrapped up some food and put in the mini-refrigerator that is in the room (We are in a villa). In the kitchen are cabinets, coffee maker, refrigerator, etc., but nothing else. No plates, no silverware, nothing. So we called for two plates and two forks from room service. They said “that will be $5". ONE HOUR LATER… nothing. Call again. “sorry sir.. be right there”. 35 minutes later, my daughter says she is starving… So we go eat. We get back her after an hour or so? No plates or silverware.

When I came in to the room on initial check in, I couldn’t get the lights to work on the desk or in corner of room. Everything was unplugged.

Service in the restaurants… S…L…O…W….

Price in the restaurants… HIGH. Morton’s slightly more expensive than the one in New York City. I guess you have to import your steaks.

However, the meal at Lemongrass was fantastic, and is highly recommended. Wonderful meal there.

Overall, the location has amazing potential. It is a 10 minute taxi ride to Old San Juan, has a nice pool, good restaurants and bars. . The whole place needs a makeover as it comes across as a little 1980’s. Needs a good paint job, a new sign that you can see as you are coming in to the property.

The place is just in disarray, and the service is just terrible. I would never come back here again. Ever. I was here for four days and felt like I wasted hours of my time waiting on them.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank PassportAlwaysOnHand
Nitzamarie-Escalera, Coordinator at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2012

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I will apologize in the name of all our staff for your negative experience during your stay with us. There is no excuse for the lack of customer service and lack of sense of urgency that you experienced during your stay. I want to assure you that we will take your input very seriously. Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed 4 April 2012

After 4 days in Ponce we did 4 days in San Juan.

This location was super from a beach and visiting Old San Juan perspective.
Beach had everything, including dried bread every morning to take in to feed your favorite tropical fish swimming around you. All the typical kids activity items then can drag into the water also. Nice warf with a +1000W lamp on an area of the coral reef to watch fish and occasional small sharks (they are outside the beach activity area and outer part of the coral reef, don't freak).

Starbucks in the Hilton a +. Mortons attached, to Hilton steak & service aas +, the Italian restaurant in the Hilton is so so...recommend Sophia's in Old San Juan instead oif you want great and "homemade" ITalian instead. You can take a bus for 0.75 from near the Hilton to Old San Juan and roam around...or take one of the two trolleys that run through the old city. Forts fabulous. For the shoppers (or cruise hopper shoppers), you can get your Coach, Croc, etc shopping in and everything is walkable. Best lunch is outdoors at the Princess Cafe at the start of the southern wall...get the Mofongo. Recommend taxi back from downtown.

Only down fall is while the Hilton Caribe is the original resort legacy of the 40's...nicely remodelled with their own animals in the garden area...including peacocks...is you really do not want to walk outside the area off the property at night. Cab it. Awesome park next door and great walking areas...in the day light.

Overall we liked the Hilton Caribe because of the beach & fish there (I think it is the only private beach there because of legacy issues) and closeness to Old San Juan.

Room Tip: Garden view?- ask for a higher floo rif you want to see the old castillo area in front to the east o...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Annaplois

We love to hear that you had a wonderful time during your stay with us. We have a variety of activities to entertain our guest of all ages! We really appreciate the feedback about your stay. Thank you again

Reviewed 3 April 2012

The title of the review says it all. Our travel group was very disappointed with the lack of service with this hotel. Don't get me wrong the hotel is lovely as is the beach and pool area, but it is hard to appreciate these things when none of the staff can properly show you to your room! When our party checked in, we were given instructions of how to proceed to our rooms (or so we thought). The hotel is a maze of rooms and it took at least half an hour to find them, which is not very good after hours and hours of flying. We asked staff along the way for assistance, but none of them said they knew where the rooms were located and refused to help. As well, during the check in process the lady at the counter got the two rooms we booked mixed up and mixed up our credit cards assigned to each room. In turn, causing more confusion when trying to check out and properly assign the correct charge amounts to each room. So, it is with the relatively high cost per room combined with the lack of customer service that I give the San Juan Hilton 2.5 stars!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for taking from your valuable time to share your experience with us. We always work to exceed our guest’s expectations and we are deeply sorry that we didn’t make you feel that way during your stay. We appreciate every feedback because this way we can improve in our customer service.

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Juan
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
#7 of 13 in Isla Verde
7.0 km away
San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel

Been to Caribe Hilton San Juan? Share your experiences!