All reviews hot tub across the street beach chairs hard boiled eggs puerto rico ocean view suite small pool old san juan rooftop jacuzzi continental breakfast ocean park beach nice breakfast quaint hotel street parking the breakfast area guest house close to the airport
Reviewed 5 April 2016 via mobile

Just across the street from the beach, albeit a somewhat dirty stretch of the beach. Street parking out front. Cozy and friendly. Small room. Decent breakfast. Hammocks, hot tub, surf boards and other facilities included. Definitely not fancy but if you're looking to avoid the hustle and bustle of old town, it's a fun place to chill.

Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple
Jan E, Guest Relations Manager at Tres Palmas Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2016

Buen Dia,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us at Tres Palmas Inn. I'm glad you enjoyed the hammocks and hot tub. We hope you enjoyed your visit to our beautiful island, and hope you come back and visit again in the near future. Hasta luego

Reviewed 20 March 2016

My fiance and I stayed here for four nights to take a much-needed getaway after final exams. I thought the grounds were beautiful and unique- hammocks to relax in, a small pool to swim in if you didn't want the ocean, the roof (and hot tub!) with gorgeous views of the palm trees and water. It was pretty quiet while we were there, but we were there in the off season. Rooms were clean and tidy, but nothing special. Breakfast was decent, just don't expect a huge buffet of bacon, eggs, and the like. The inn was not exactly on the beach, as it had a road separating it from the sand/sidewalk. However, there were no buildings to obstruct our view of the ocean. The staff was wonderful, and the man at the front desk was more than helpful when we asked where it was safest to take a walk- he actually took a map and drew a route out for us! Take advantage of the bikes they have that are free to use too. We also walked a short couple of blocks to the bus stop and rode a bus to San Juan...MUCH cheaper than a cab! Overall, it was an amazing find for two college students on a budget. It is not in the busiest part of town (not a ton of restaurants or tourist attractions) but it's great if you are happy with beach walks, listening to the tree frogs while swinging in the hammock, and sharing a few beers with fellow travelers on the roof :)

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled as a couple
Jan E, Guest Relations Manager at Tres Palmas Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2016

Saludos,

Thank you for choosing our iconic hotel as your host for your recent visit to New York City. Your feedback is truly important to us because it helps us to realize both our strengths and weaknesses from our guests' point of view. I'm glad the map I gave you was helpful. Great suggestion about the bus. Cab rides generally cost about $20, so it can get a little pricey; especially if you are not traveling with a group of people. I am also glad to hear that you enjoyed the jacuzzi on the upstairs terrace with the ocean view. From everyone at Tres Palmas Inn, we hope you are doing well and that you visit our lovely island again in the near future.

Reviewed 18 March 2016

We stayed at the Tres Palmas on a Saturday evening, prior to joining our cruise ship the next day. The hotel staff was very friendly, and recommended some restaurants within walking distance. Since I was with my husband, I felt safe enough walking, but would not have wanted to walk around by myself. The room - nothing special - advertised as oceanfront, which I suppose it is, however, the beach is across the street and we really couldn't see it. Maybe if we had been on the second floor, instead of the ground floor, we could have seen it. Unfortunately, cars drove up and down the street all night, with radios blaring. The room decor needed updating, however it was clean. The facility had some nice amenities - breakfast was included and was very nice. There was a small pool in the back, and an upstairs terrace area. The hammocks at the front were welcoming. On our return from the cruise, we stayed in the Villa Herencia in Old San Juan, which was about the same price, and so much nicer. If you do stay here, consider renting a room in the back, which would be less expensive and much quieter.

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple
Jan E, Guest Relations Manager at Tres Palmas Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2016

Saludos TerryKnoxville,

Muchas gracias for taking the time to share your review with the TripAdvisor community! I'm happy to hear your enjoyed the amenities, such as the breakfast and hammocks, and setting of our hotel. I am sorry to hear that there was excess noise coming from the street. I thank again for your feedback, and i hope you visit our beautiful island again in the near future.

Reviewed 17 March 2016

My husband and I just returned from a trip to Puerto Rico, and while there we stayed at the Tres Palmas Inn in San Juan. I can’t say enough good about the Tres Palmas guest house. Location: it’s in a residential neighborhood, so you avoid all of that commercial congestion and clutter. Just feet away from the ocean, with a gorgeous view. The inn is also just a short walk away from a San Juan city bus stop. We rode all over the city for seventy-five cents a trip. A beautiful (and surprisingly not crowded) public beach is maybe half-a-block walking distance away. Another real plus – the inn is very close to the San Juan airport. The trip to and back, in a cab, was literally less than 15 minutes. Accommodations: The Tres Palmas is a pleasant, colorful maze of courtyards, fountains and hammocks, so it doesn’t have a “cookie cutter” feel to it. Spacious and clean rooms (we had one of the small apartments with a kitchenette). Something else that I particularly noticed – how quiet and peaceful it was on the premises at all times of the day – very relaxing. No big crowd noise. Nice continental breakfast buffet for breakfast. Staff: Wonderful, helpful staff. Everyone went out of their way to make sure that all of our needs were met. The front desk people make wonderful informal concierges, particularly Jan and Rafael, both of whose help made our stay so pleasurable. I wish I knew more staff names; they were all so helpful and friendly. We travel often, and I’m familiar with quality -on all levels. The Tres Palmas Inn met all of my criteria for quality.

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple

Saludos MarcO1958VA ,

We are thrilled you had a great experience and we thank you for posting a review here on Trip Advisor. Our staff truly help create memories and experiences for our guests and it is a pleasure to learn you felt the staff was friendly and helpful. I'm glad you mentioned how close we are to the airport. We are pretty much in the middle of the most common locations. So we are a less than 15 minute drive from both of San Juan's airports, Old San Juan, Plaza del Mercado and Plaza Las Americas (which is the biggest mall in the Caribbean). On behalf of the entire staff, we hope you come visit us again in the near future.

Reviewed 14 March 2016

We stayed here one night after returning from a cruise.

Good - The grounds (for the low price), large pleasant room, friendly staff. Across the street from the ocean. Hammocks and seating areas outside. Short walk to an "OK" beach. Short drive to the airport.

Bad - The guest noise and nothing around, no restaurants or bars or shops or drug/grocery stores unless you get a cab. We weren't in the mood for a cab. We ate at the Blue Burger for lunch, then again for dinner after looking quite a while for something else in the area. Oddly, we found one expensive restaurant and passed. Mostly fast food or spots too hard to find or just not looking better than Blue Burger. It was a long walk to the Blue Burger. Their food was good. No clubs that we found, just a couple of small bar/restaurants. No shops. Safe didn't work. Bathroom a little rough.

More detail...
We liked our room well enough. We were at the front, facing the street with a common patio area in between. Pretty good view of the ocean. I was afraid the street would be noisy, but it was OK (Sunday night). There was a Volkswagen parade which we heard occurs on Sundays, so that was cute to see from the hotel roof patio. The safe didn't work. The hairdryer didn't work, but I had noticed a hairdryer in a box on the safe - if I hadn't observed that, I would have been without a hairdryer. The maids had missed our room, but came immediately to clean it when the hostess opened the door for me and I saw the room was not done. The shower was rundown.

Noise from guests right outside was a little disturbing. Loud kids occasionally not so great. Exterior walls and large windows must be thin. The area is mostly tiled, so rolling luggage woke me up 2-3 times in the wee hours as people left for the airport or wherever. We didn't notice noise from other guests inside their rooms.

The grounds are cute and have hammocks and various areas to sit, so that was nice. Small, landscaped pool in back, pretty but not sure I would use it - not too bad but not crystal clear.

There was free Wi-Fi in the lobby and nearby, can't remember if I tried it in the room.

Our main complaint would be the lack of restaurants and things to do in the area. Second would be the noise from guests outside. If these conditions change someday, it could be a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
Jan E, Guest Relations Manager at Tres Palmas Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2016

Saludos,

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review. I am sorry to hear that you had trouble finding the places you needed. Before reaching Blue burger, there is a pharmacy (across from the Shell gas station) and a grocery store as well. You are correct in saying there aren’t too many shops. Being in a residential area; there are more restaurants with bars, than shops and bars. This is a more relaxed area in San Juan; but we are a less than 10 minute drive from great nightlife such as Old San Juan, La Placita and Condado. Once again, I thank you for your review. We hope you will visit our beautiful island again in the future.