Hotel El Convento
USD 326
Renaissance Hotels
Savings alert! 15% below average rates

The price you found is 15% lower than this hotel's average rate of USD 385/night.

USD 283
USD 252
  • Breakfast included
USD 181
USD 176
Savings alert! 10% below average rates

The price you found is 10% lower than this hotel's average rate of USD 195/night.

USD 352
USD 339
Marriott Hotels
USD 211
USD 176
USD 207
USD 198
Orbitz.com
CasaBlanca Hotel(San Juan)(Great Value!)
USD 147
USD 232
USD 365
USD 314
2,858 results
All reviewswine and cheesetapas restaurantold san juancourtyard restaurantwine receptionformer conventevery eveningplunge poolpuerto ricoopen courtyardcentral courtyardvista roomthird floorturn down serviceacross the streetour honeymoonbottled water
Reviewed 18 January 2018 via mobile

This small luxury hotel is well preserved and kind of takes you back in time. You will experience what it felt like to be in the 16th century. Attention to details is the order of the day at this place. Don't miss the complementary wine and cheese tasting at 1800 hrs.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jayrodsan
Reviewed 12 January 2018

Stayed for 3 nights at Christmas.The staff were very good and helpful esp the ones serving the manager's reception.Reception staff never called for the tour of the hotel.Bellmen fantastic.Restaurant had a very good service and excellent limited menu.Was disappointed that the other restaurants were closed.We were moved to another double vista room upon request and had a better view of the Cathedral.The rooftop pool and jacuzzi has an excellent view of the old town and bay.

Room Tip: choose the suite if you can afford it.
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 January 2018

This place is worth the money. The hotel itself is one of the most beautiful hotels I've ever seen. The courtyard, the vines, the old light fixtures. It is also right in front of this cute little park area that has lots of seating, and is a 2 minute walk from the shore. It is really picturesque. On top of this, the people there are SO accommodating. They will set up anything you need, they will call taxi's for you. It has never been easier for me to get to a 5am flight than with this hotel. We came down, checked out, and they brought our bags to a car they called for us. They also have a wine and cheese hour that is free!! We met some really amazing people there! Their pool is small, but really nice to just sit in at night especially because almost nobody uses it. The room comes with bath robes (which rock) and it is so clean. The location, the experience, the hotel was amazing. It is worth the splurge.

Note: we are 100% sure our room was haunted. San Juan is very haunted (if you believe in that stuff). Some people tell stories of seeing ghost ships off the shore. We believe there was one of the nuns that used to occupy the building walking around our room. Very cool experience that we will never forget.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Caitlyn B
Reviewed 11 January 2018 via mobile

Great drinks and tapas. Many choices offered. Dora and Margaret were wonderful, efficient and friendly! Even though they were busy we received excellent service. The character of the hotel was beautiful. Lots of charm. Will definitely return!

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 January 2018

I spent 5 nites at El Convento for the Christmas holiday. I had booked prior to the hurricane but had received confirmation in November that they were open and honoring reservations for December so I proceeded with my plans. I was so pleased to find the hotel in very good condition. It's a former convent. It's in a great location in Old San Juan. I arrived too early for check in but the front desk said I could store my luggage and they offered to call me on my cell phone when the room was ready....which they did! My room was very nice. It had everything I could possibly want: mini-fridge, safe, coffee maker, iron, blow dryer, tv, phone, desk, a small dining table with 2 chairs, a nice stuffed chair, air-conditioning and a nice view with large openable windows. There was also an inner door inside the room, in the little hall to the door, that I could close to keep out the noise outside your main door. My bed was very comfortable. The bathroom had a bathtub with shower. The room was clean and quiet. There was a manager's wine and cheese reception every nite in the patio area. Bottled water was supplied to your room every day and you could also stop at the 3rd floor patio area to get more any time you wished. Staff could not have been more helpful. Everyone was friendly and all went smoothly during my stay. Based on previous reviews on Trip Advisor, I paid extra for a room with a view of the bay. It was quiet on this side of the hotel. The hotel is across the street from the historic San Juan Cathedral (Ponce de Leon's tomb is there). There is a garden area on the 4th floor (I think it was the 4th floor) that had lounge chairs and small tables where you could relax. I ate breakfast at the hotel one morning. It was good and service was good. I didn't eat there any other time since I was enjoying the nice cafes and restaurants around the area. El Convento is in a perfect location to walk all around San Juan (which I did). There are plenty of shops, restaurants and sights to see close by. It's in walking distance to every place in Old San Juan (if you like walking...which I do). The streets around the hotel are the historic blue brick streets (wear good walking shoes) and are very busy during the day so walking was the best way to get around. There's a grocery store and a drug store a few blocks away where you can get pretty much anything you could need. If you need something more familiar, there's also a Walgreens and CVS further away (still a nice walk to get there) - down by the port where the cruise ships come in ..and the US post office is near there also...and of course, a Starbucks. There is also a fairly friendly hotel cat (it could be very friendly but I'm not a cat person so tried my best to ignore it...and it probably felt the same about me) that you will see around the inside of the hotel. I would definitely recommend this hotel if you are looking for a nice, relaxing historic hotel. It was a very positive experience. When I return to San Juan, I will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: My room was on the 5th floor with a view of the bay, Room 512
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled solo