“Taco pastor like Mexico, very good!”
Review of La Guerita

La Guerita
Ranked #114 of 1,148 Restaurants in San Juan
Description: Locally owned Featuring Authentic Mexican Street Food Cooked to order Fresh ingredients amazing margaritas Patron shot specials Best hot sauce
Reviewed 23 July 2018

Stumbled into this place while taking a walk to Old San Juan. The place is on one of the side streets off from Calle San Francisco (3 blocks from the main square).

Parking is almost impossible to find around this area, unless you punch one of the locals to get out of the way. They usually stand in front of an open spot stating that it is theirs or their friend is coming.

As you enter La Guerita, there is a bar/cooking corner on the left hand side and plenty of bench seats on the right. They did not have aircon when I went there, but there were plenty of fans.

We ordered the 3 taco pastor (pork) and 1 chicken. My wife was very happy with both of her tacos and they came with 3 special sauces. We tried all the sauces and they were excellent. Speaking of the taco ($4 each), they were really excellent. It reminded me of one of the best pastor I had in Mexico City, albeit the price here was 4 times more, but that is Puerto Rico. There was a small triangle of pineapple and a good amount of meat. It was really delicious.

I also had a margarita, which was pretty good.

They had a pretty vast menu with quesadillas, burritos, tortas, soups and appetizers. It looked like they had a full bar.

I have to say this was the best taco I have had in Puerto Rico and I have been to over 10 Mexican restaurants here. I believe it rivals the tacos at Acapulco off of calle Loiza.

The waiters were very friendly and explained the menu well.
:-)

I'm definitely going back there again with friends to try some other tacos.

Before settling in San Juan, I have visited 155 countries. If you want to read about my blog, check out pinchetravels.com.

A tip for the La Guerita:
1. It would be nice if there was a bit more lighting. It seemed kind of dark.
2. It would be nice if the staff were welcoming and told us to sit somewhere. We had to ask the staff if we could sit at the table.

Reviewed 30 April 2018 via mobile

Yesss.. is the best ... every time I come here it bring me back to mexico.. I love the Tortas and the horchata. Always fresh ingredients. . if you want authentic Mexican food, come here..

Reviewed 24 April 2018 via mobile

They were out of guacamole, salsa and soup today. We ordered a side of chips, 2 fish tacos, 2 chicken tacos, mushroom taco, bean tostada with veggies, horchata drink and a Magna drink. Had this pinned before coming to PR, pics looked appetizing.
The horchata topped with cinnamon is good.
The cilantro and lime, Coco chipotle and red pepper salsa is the hottest.
The fish tacos were good. My hubby liked his chicken best. I liked the bean and veggie tostada, the portabello taco was good too. I liked their cilantro salsa best and my hubby liked the red pepper best. The Coco chipotle was too sweet for me.

Reviewed 8 April 2018

This is a quaint taqueria at Old San Juan serving authentic flavors of Mexico street food fare with some of the most delicious hot sauces I have tasted anywhere. Their sauces are not your standard sauces but they are a flavorful combination of fruits and chiles that will elevate your taco experience. If you are at Old San Juan you owe it to yourself to at least give it a try. You won't regret it.

Reviewed 4 April 2018

If you are in Old San Juan and are hungry, go here. This place should be #1 in town and they deserve a line out the door. The food is exceptionally delicious, topped with homemade sauces and prepared with pride. Every taco I tried was just as great as the last. I especially recommend a taco, or several, with el pastor. Also, the staff members were very friendly and made us feel right at home. La Guerita will be our first stop on our next visit to PR!