“Wedding at the hotel”

Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Runaway Bay
Sesto Calende, Italy
“Wedding at the hotel”
Reviewed 16 March 2012

We booked this hotel for my daughters wedding. We booked 6 bungalows for the wedding party. I had reviewed the comments about over booking but never expected it to happen to us. We ended up with 4 bungalows. One of our party a 75 yr old man was put in a apartment up 2 flights of stairs near the main road. It took 4 days to move him to a bungalow.
On the second day my son had some money missing from his room. He was going to share our safe but then we relised that by having no safe in his room meant that there could be money lieing about so he ended up getting his own safe. Nothing was done about the missing money. We reported it and then they checked his room and that was the last of it.
Rant over I would highly recomend having your wedding here. We had a really chilled out week before the wedding and thanks to the wedding planner a really stress free wedding.
We really enjoyed staying by the adult pool but a word of warning the signs saying that it was an adult pool are only in English and the French choose to ignore it although there are pictures that explains that children are not allowed. One day a English man complained.
and the familys were removed.
From what I heard they have a contract with the French and they get heaverly fined if they do not have the bungalows for them so the English end up being put in apartments or even changed to there sister hotel. There are loads of Hotels on the island and if you wanted a hotel room or a apartment you could take your pick but if you book a bungalow then you should get one.
The staff and food are excellent.

Room Tip: Bunglalows no 25-34 are the best.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank calende

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (914)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
San Diego, California
Reviewed 15 March 2012

I wanted to post this review to alleviate any fears of people over getting moved to the new sister resort, ie the Fun Caribbean. We originally booked at the Club Caribbean and I had read all of the stories about overbooking and getting moved etc to the new resort and I myself was very worried before we left and almost changed our reservation at the last minute because of it and the bad experiences I was reading.

I don't know about the others experience but for us we arrived and checked in, we were shown the room we would get if we stayed and shown around the resort a bit, then they said they wanted to show us the new resort and that we would get a nicer room there etc. I knew this was coming from reading the reviews so I was not surprised although they did try to pass it off as a very special deal just for us which I knew it was not. Ie a courtyard room in the back was what we had booked at Club Caribbean (at a very cheap price I might add). If we moved to the new resort they said we would get a oceanfront jacuzzi room instead. It was obviously a big push to get us to move, they kept telling us how the new resort was SO much better because of this and that etc. The final decision was ours though and we easily chose the new resort and we were not disappointed. They give you the option to still go back to the club Caribbean at anytime via a free van (and its only a 1 minute drive away) but we never did.

Just don't fret about it, if you get moved, your vacation will not be horrible because of it. Having stayed at some of the more expensive resorts in Jamaica before, ie Couples, Sandals etc, I can honestly say that we had a great time at Fun Caribbean and for the price we paid there was no better value. Its no Couples or Sandals of course but at 1/4th the price you can't expect that. The staff was always wonderful and ready to help with anything needed.

Note that at both Royal Decameron resorts there is only Wifi in the lobby and it did go down a few times with no one around to fix it, so keep this in mind if you use your computer a lot.

Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Melanie W
Guildford
Reviewed 13 March 2012

My review goes on a bit but there's just so much to say about the place! I hope you find it useful.

Firstly, let's talk about the overbooking which obviously does go on. When we booked last June we were really excited by all the reviews but then in November they changed so drastically we were really concerned that upon arrival we would not get our cottage accommodation, so as our holiday approached I phoned First Choice asking them to confirm we would get what we'd booked.
I wasn't convinced as up to a week before we left, reviewers were still not getting what they'd booked.
In my opinion, we who post on Trip Advisor are on the whole normal, honest people trying to help others have an enjoyable holiday so 3 days before we left I emailed First Choice on site in Jamaica and our booking was confirmed.

I must admit we were very apprehensive upon check in, which was very smooth, it had been an extremely long day and we didn't want hassle.
But hey, we were one of the lucky ones who not only had a cottage but one in a quiet area, which we had also requested. I think First Choice have finally sat up and listened to their customers concerns, so if you have any at all, I know how you feel but contact them before you go and get it in writing. I do think things should now improve.

So, the holiday...it was absolutely brilliant, the best ever. I have no idea how we can better it!

The cottages are so quaint, they have the most enormous bed in them, flat screen tv, AC and fan, plenty of room for clothes, plus decent sized bathroom.
They don't have tea/coffee making facilities but sad as we are we always take our travel kettle with us so we can have a drink on waking! The electric in Runaway Bay is the same as in the UK so no problems there either!

Our cottage (129) had bananas and hibiscus and other beautiful plants I don't know the names of, growing outside and a huge hammock, it was just as I had pictured it from the net. It was lovely having our own self contained little piece of heaven to stay in with no-one above, below or adjoining us.

The maids are great, we had swans and hearts made out of towels and flowers left on the bed which made me want to get back to the room to see what we'd have each day! That must be a woman thing, as my husband wasn't bothered! The maid would also leave a bottle of water each day which was unexpected and appreciated. Oh, and the towels were changed daily if required, follow the instructions if you want clean ones.

Towels for use at the beaches or pool: you are given a towel card upon arrival and you give this in for your blue towel, which can then be replaced at any time you wish, as many times a day as you want.

The gardens are just wonderful and kept in perfect condition, everyone at RDCC works very hard to keep the place looking good and keeping everyone smiling.

I have never met such happy, polite and helpful people, yeah mon, knuckles together, we're still doing it now even though we've been home 5 days! Probably because we miss it so much.

The waiters and bar staff work tirelessly to keep your glasses topped up or clear your table between courses, always with a smile and a chat, now they and the maids deserve tips.

There was always such a variety of food at all mealtimes no-one would possibly not be able to find something. There was only one evening that I wasn't too sure what some of the food was and as I suffer from allergies I decided to have just a salad and sweet but as you can have as much as you like, it was plenty. Make sure you have the jerk chicken or pork and try some Jamaican food.

We kept meaning to try one of the 4 restaurants, 2 at RDCC and 2 at the Fun Carribean that they use as overspill...sorry upgrade... but kept forgetting to book it, it was no loss to us though, we were more than happy with the food provided.
I must apologise now as I have forgotten his name already but the guy who cooks the eggs/omelettes at breakfast is brilliant, he's so funny and best of all he knows how to cook fried eggs properly!

The internet is free and we had arranged to log on every 3/4 days to keep in contact with home, rather than use a mobile but....good luck getting on it. We used to ask the teenagers if we could just have 5 minutes and then they could go back to playing their games! Worse though is the keyboard, please RDCC buy a new one with letters on it!
I had to say Q W E R T every time I tried to log on and quite often got my password wrong!! Although I found even that amusing and part of the charm of the place but a new one wouldn't go amiss.

The beaches/bays are really nice with plenty of sunbeds, some people still felt the need to put their towels on them before breakfast but this really wasn't necessary. The main pool area is by the bar and quite small so if you prefer the pool, you may not get a sunbed so easily. Do be careful of the sun, it is much hotter than you realise and you can burn in the shade because of the breeze.
The lifeguards are mad...and brilliant...and so much fun. We had a couple of liquid sunshine days and they spent their time cleaning and raking the beaches, always busy just like everyone else. If the conditions are good, go out on the glass bottom boat with them or try a pedalo or the trampoline out to sea!

I can't say too much about the entertainment as it took me so long to get my body into Jamaican time that I usually wandered back to the cottage quite early, leaving hubby to have a beer or three. It's amazing how just relaxing can make you so tired!! However I did make the effort a few times to stay up and I must say Rocky and his guys put on an excellent show. The only annoying thing is the repeating of everything by the French crew, why does French take twice as long as English to say the same thing? Anyway it got a bit wearing after a while so I wasn't bothered too much about missing it. If I was French going to an English speaking country I wouldn't expect everything to be laid on in French, I would want to revel in the Jamaican culture. Oh well that's just me.

The Jamaican crew and staff can't say openly how they feel about the French invasion, but they are waiting to see what will happen after April when the cheap French deals experiment supposedly ends. And I shall say no more!!

Must just mention the 3 guys who come and play and sing sometimes lunchtimes, sometimes evenings, they are great! You listen and you think "I know that song but what is it" then you realise it's a non reggae song that has been reggae'd, it made me laugh as it sounded so good, also sometimes in the evening the same thing would happen. Irie!

Who or what have I forgotten??? reception staff, management, the cleaning guys and girls at mealtimes, the night guards, all as wonderful as everyone else. Peacocks!! You won't need an alarm clock!!! The Jetty Bar, with swings...I told everyone before I went that I would fall off a swing and sure enough I did!! On my first drink too, I went forward to pick it up and the swing went backwards so do make sure you know how to do it!!!

I thought at first it was just us but on speaking to people we realised it wasn't, some things can be quite expensive, which came as a bit of a shock. Also, do not pay the price on the tag, you must barter the price down or you will pay over the odds.

Taxi trips, there is a girl who sits on the wall by reception who can book these for you cheaper than the tour operator but even so we didn't think they were that cheap. Or the other side of the barrier there are a couple of others whose names I can't remember either! We took the bull by the horns and hired a car as we had a couple of days down at Treasure Beach in the south but the roads really are appalling, pot-holes like you'll never believe and no road signs, great fun!!

I have also left reviews for Dunns River Falls and Bob Marley's Mausoleum which may be of help to you.

I do hope this has been helpful.

Have a great time!!

Room Tip: Book a cottage
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
15 Thank soolooSurrey
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 13 March 2012

My girlfriend and I visited the Royal Decameron and really enjoyed it. We are easy to please and knew that this was going to be a discount AI compared to Sandals or Couples. At the time, we were in college and wanted to take a trip as a couple versus a party trip with our friends. The food was not gourmet at all, but was better than most campus food and we never went hungry. The jerk chicken was amazing everywhere. The fruit and bread at the buffets were delicious. I don't think I have ever eaten so much bread. My girlfriend is a vegetarian and she never had issues with food either.

The drinks flowed and were never ending. I did not feel any pressure to tip and left 5-10 dollars with the maid and various bartenders on the last day.

The beach was pretty rocky, but we are from Minnesota so are used to rocky beaches. We don't salt water swim so it was not a big deal. She layed on loungers on shore and I kayaked every morning, which was awesome and free.

The greatest thing about this resort is the private cabanas (rooms) right on the beach. Each has a queen sized bed, closet, bathroom, TV, A/C. Waves crashed 10-15 feet from ours every night. It was amazing and the closest I have ever slept to the water. I have tried to find similar "beach front" rooms since and it appears to be impossible. Even the $1000 per night ocean front rooms I have looked at recently are nowhere near as close to the water. Plus, our cabana felt so private and there was never anyone right outside of our door. They are not marble bathrooms, but our whole cabana was cleaned daily and never seemed dirty.

We went on two excursions: Dunn's River Falls, which was great and worth the money and time... and a "sunset dinner cruise" which sucked and was a waste of time and money. We basically drank rum punch on a large Catamaran that was bouncing over 12 foot waves for an hour... while loud party music was blaring. The water was so choppy that no one could stand up and there were only seats for half the people. We ended up on the deck of the boat, holding on to roping so we didnt spill red punch on our nice clothes (remember its a sunset dinner cruise). Then we stopped in cove (decently pretty) and got to eat some buffet food from hot pans. I believe it was chicken and corn. Another hour of choppy water, an hour to get back to the hotel, and then it was finally over.

I loved our stay and Royal Decameron holds a warm place in my memories, but I do not think we would return because we can now afford the higher end properties. But... if I wanted to go on a romantic vacation with my significant other for cheap, then this would be high on my list.

Room Tip: Beachfront Cabana.... it was only $100 per person more when we went and is the only way I would go.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tyler S
Dryden, Canada
Reviewed 13 March 2012

My wife and I were caught up in the overbooking problem that Royal Decameron has.
We were assured by Nolitours that this would not happen. We had booked in early October.
The manager Estephane tried to move us but we refused to "upgrade" to the Fun Club. The first night we stayed in a suite by the front gate. The second day we were moved to the Garden View huts. It was not the one that we booked but there was nothing wrong with it. Upon check in my wife and I along with 4 people from Winnipeg had to sit in the "side room" as we were told by the assistant manager that they had no rooms. We demanded to see the Manager Estephane. This waiting took up about 2 hrs.
Estephane's lack of people skills makes me wonder why he is the Senior Manager. We also communicated our displeasure to the General Manager who said he would check and get back to us. He was not aware of the overbooking problem that they have had for months. We are still waiting for his answer and an apoligy. The Winnipeg family received free rum, massages and a trip to Dunn River Falls. We received a free wall safe. A double standard we think.
Other than check in we had a great holiday and will not go back unless we are guaranteed what we booked and paid for. The Jamaician Staff are very professional, courteous and efficient. This is the cleanest Resort that we have experienced.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
67.8 km away
Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
#19 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Royal Decameron Club Caribbean? Share your experiences!