1,397 results
All reviews gilbert blackwood honeymoon suite water pressure small resort beach area recommend this resort beach towels entertainment jamaica vacation disco band couples rum mama alcohol crew
Reviewed 16 August 2006

I had read a lot of good reviews on this hotel so thought I would share my honest opinion. Overall I had a great vacation here. We loved that is was adults only, that it was smaller, and everywhere in the resort had a great view. We loved taking our floats into the sea and just lazing all day! My biggest complaints were 1. Our room definetly needed improvement... bathroom was somewhat dirty and just old. 2. We never had hot water for more than a minute at a time and once we had no water at all 3. The food was at best tolerable. There were a couple of nights that were good but overall there was little selection (even though they call it buffet) and it wasn't great. There is no food or snacks of any kind between 4:30-7pm. Overall, as I said, we had a great time but I was a little disappointed with the hotel itself. But we got it at a great price which was a plus for us!

6  Thank jlb44
Reviewed 13 August 2006

This was my 4th trip to Jamaica and this hotel. This time I went as my best friend was getting married and we all stopped at Club Ambiance. As soon as I checked in I was greeted with the warmest welcome, they always remember your name. My friend got married at Shaw Park Gardens in Ocho Rios but she had the reception at the hotel and the staff and Manager were more than happy to accomodate her wishes and even helped with transport to the wedding.
Well now to praise some people:
Mr Blackwood the Resort Manager is a wonderful man, he makes you feel at home as soon as you arrive till you leave, he is always happy and seems to love what he does. He makes each guest feel special.
All the reception staff are lovely and can't do enough to help you.
The kitchen staff do a wonderful job and there is always alot of choice on the menu, they also have a grill bar during the day where you can get burgers and toasted sandwiches etc.
The waiting staff in the restaurant are wonderful, especially Orlando, he knows what a faddy eater I am and would always make sure that there was something I ate, and is just the sweetest person.
The entertainment staff are great, on this trip they were a bit short staffed but Damien and especially Lemeica did a very good job of getting the guests involved in the activities. I even found myself joining in alot of them, even the fashion show!!
And now for the place I spent alot of my time, the bar, the staff are wonderful and it was nice to see Faith and Barney again. Rayon was still there also I met him on my last visit and he makes a great purple rain and he is a laugh. Phillip makes the best pink lady and he is such a sweet guy. And the newest bartender Andrew is lovely also, and makes every guest feel special, he also made me laugh alot.
I think that is all I have to say, I can't wait till my next trip back!! And I highly recommend this hotel, the atmosphere is warm and friendly and it has everything you need for a fab holiday.

Stayed: July 2006
8  Thank Michelle-AKA-pixie
Reviewed 10 August 2006

My boyfriend and i have not long returned from a fabulous two weeks at Club Ambiance. Hopefully this review will do the place justice! WHERE DO I START??
Our check in was very swift by the attentitive reception staff and the welcome drink was much welcomed! We had a room which overlooked the pool and the ocean. The bathroom was a little tired, I did mention this to our rep, the lovely Elva, who made sure reception showed us another room, which they very kindly did. This room had been recently refurbished, however i then remembered our drive in from sangster airport and thought about the dire poverty that the locals live their very happy lives in and i felt terrible for complaining about a tired looking bathroom so we stayed put in our original room which at the end of the day had all the comforts we needed, that is water pressure better than back home, fridge, iron, huuge bed!! and the AC (which i had to turn off some times as it was too cold!) And whats more it was spotless thanks to our maid Monica who happily sang her way through her work! We spent time at both the beach, which was very relaxing, and the pool, where Omar and Aaron would entertain us in between working tiredlessly to keep the pool/beach areas clean. We went on the bike ride to the Green Grotto Caves, opting not to go into the caves( I don't think we missed much) Aaron from the pool took charge of the bike ride which was well worth it and on the way back we stopped and spent some time with the locals who were catching fish and cooking them straight away on the grill. We tried some parrott fish which was nice, the locals were delighted we stopped and didn't look for tips, neither did Aaron. We enjoyed going out of the resort and meeting the locals, particularly taking ziggy for a warm guinness at the Blue Pearl next door! During our stay we also went to Nine mile, Dunns falls, Horseriding, Shopping in Ochio Rios and to a local football match, I recommend them all. Two of the entertainment team, Dave and Opheal were relieved of their duties on our second week which did not impact too much on the guests as Damion almost singlehandedly took care of the Entertainment programme, come rain or shine. Lamika looked a little lost. The MAN DAVE RICKETTS AND THE FOUR REAL BOYS were a pleasure to listen too and the nightly entertainment was varied and of good quality, finishing at 11PM, but don't worry DJ Rymes carries on in the Fantasia night club, a good way to dance off the midnight snack!!. One Downside about the holiday is the excess weight we have piled on, I blame Roderick, it was such a delight being greeted by him in the morning that it was so har to resist the freshly cooked eggs and pancakes! I did hear a couple of moans about the food but i noticed the complainants still managed to pile their plates up or go for seconds!! My favourites had to be the jamaican night outside on the terrace, with a sweet potato pudding to die for, and the fillet from the grill. The burgers during the day are delicious, we had a problem one day at the grill where service was slow with one particular member of staff but this was dealt with at the time and certainly did not spoil our holiday. On a whole it was the staff who made our holiday. They were so hardworking from those behind the scene to the management who would always say morning. Gilbert Blackwood introduced all of his team one night and then had dinner with them which i though was a nice gesture. It is a shame to single anyone out but Kayon at Legends Bar is a Legend herself with her beautiful smile, stories and dirty jokes!! Barney, Philip, Faith, Andrew AND Bathia also deserve a mention. CLUB AMBIANCE is what it says, casual and charming a break from the mega resorts, it was so personal, staff all knew our name it was like leaving family behind!. I hope they keep up the hardwork and hold on to the staff, because it was NICE AND WE WILL DO IT TWICE!

• Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
21  Thank calypsochris
Reviewed 3 August 2006

Like a previous reviewer I had been tracking Club Ambiance on Trip Advisor for some months and am delighted to say that the generally excellent reviews are an honest reflection of this property.
Having stayed at several other Carribean Islands in 4 or 5 star hotels it is my opinion that pound for pound CA is up there with the best.
If huge sandy beaches and 5star luxury is what you expect from a holiday then this may not be for you. However if good food, a clean, relaxing environment and the friendliest, hard working staff floats your boat then this is right up your street.
The only negatives to report during our two weeks in July were the occasional water shortage in the shower, gaining half a stone in weight from the yummy food and puds, and having to come home. The latter really was a wrench.
As previous postings have mentioned the staff really do create the "ambiance". From the moment you check in any cares you may have in the outside world are swiftly swept away.
It seems unfair to single out any member of staff but I do feel that Orlando, Leon and Roderick in the Dining Room are stars as are Kayon, Bethia, Faith, Philip and of course Barnie at the bars. Not forgetting Omar and Aaron the hard working Pool Attendants.
There are numerous others who work away quietly and efficiently behind the scenes from Maids to Gardeners and Cooks who rarely get a mention but are all valuable members of the team.
The entertainment most nights could have came direct from Caesars Palace. With the Sunday pier karaoke coming direct from Caesar Salad!!
The resident house band Four Real Boys with their lead singer Dancing Dave Rickets are "highly" versatile and will play music to suit all tastes.
Legends bar is a cooling oasis and a great gathering place at the end of a hard day on the lounger, to watch the sun go down while having a laugh and a chat with fellow guests accompanied by the dulcit tones of Bob Marley.
Do try to venture out and meet Ziggy he is a really friendly local character who is only too willing to tell you tales about the local culture. You will be made most welcome at the Blue Pearl next door. Give it a try for a nice cold bottle of beer.
We did the Dunnes River Falls and the Bob Marley trip to Nine Mile. Both offered good value for money.
Roderick the breakfast chef took us to see a soccer match one Sunday which was an experience I shall never forget. Local culture at its finest. Although the half time oranges had a pungent smell! Come to think of it they must use the same oranges at Bob Marleys place!!!!
We met lots of nice friends from the U.K. Holland and the USA
If your reading this Katherine, Da Man Dave, Jamie and partner Michael, Julie, Timmy, Bonnie, Maureen, Don, Karon, King Barry White, Pam, Dawn, Scary Mary, Lou, Andy, and of course Brian and his Texan entourage with the insulated barrels. Thanks for making us laugh.
Shall we return? YEA MON. See you next year!

• Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
11  Thank bigpetemon2
Reviewed 3 August 2006

We just got back from our vacation yesterday and both of us wish we were still there. This resort is perfect for a relaxing getaway. We had the best time.

The standard room was spacious and clean, the food was delicous, drinks were great and the bartenders were friendly and helpful, there was always something to do and there were plenty of places to soak up the sun. I will admit the shower situation is a little tricky but nothing to get worked up about. All it takes is a positive attitude and you will completely enjoy yourself.

If you want a laid back atmosphere with no crowds and a chance to get away from it all with great value for the money, go stay at Club Ambiance. We are already looking forward to next year. And this time we will be staying for at least a full week instead of only 5 nights.

7  Thank canwegonow