“Fourth Trip in Two Years”
Review of Club Ambiance

Club Ambiance
Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Runaway Bay
Reviewed 10 September 2012

I have been reading about the change of ownership at club Ambiance but was determined to return again on Sept 3- Sept 8. Spent 5 wonderful days at a resort I love and was not disappointed that maybe things had "changed". If anything the changes seemed to be for the better, more attentive service from staff in dining room, same wonderful bar service from the regulars, and Omar and Storm are always top notch. Noticed a lot of sprucing up going on from landscaping, painting, repairs etc. Talked to some of the management team and the impression I got was they see club Ambiance as a hidden gem and I got the impression that they intend to keep it all adult and I would not expect a lot of changes. The menu was the same and the food is very good, they have expanded their spa and I got a massage and rate it very hight. Rooms are not changed and had some issues with the shower but it was fixed promptly. All you past club Ambiance visitors have no fear, you will not return and find a different resort, just maybe a better one.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
6  Thank klemi
Write a ReviewReviews (1,382)

Reviewed 1 September 2012

My husband and myself set out on a last min vacation. (We went to CA in April 2011, however I was not able to change the date for this reiew).This resort was by far one of the best resorts we went to in our travel history. You arrive to a remisant 1970's looking lobby....very clean and not modernized at all. Our room was located on the third floor and was very clean and comfortable. The drinks were perfect, the food was awesome and the other guests were very friendly. This is an adult only resort ...no screaming kids....just adults relaxing and blowing off steam. The beach was not great at all, and the pool was very deep and not for someone that was not accoustomed to swimming. Everyone here was so mellow and saited. The karokee bar at the end of the pier was a blast as well as the ajoining disco. The resort was small ...about 90 when we were there and it did not take long to know your way around. I was very comfortable here and would not hesitate to recommend this resort to anyone wanting a relaxing break from their hectic world. This resort covered all the bases for me personally. I did not care that it was not modern, I did not care what ammenties that it had, it was clean, staff were friendly and the food was excellent...really what more could anyone ask for?

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Islandalleykat
Reviewed 26 August 2012

This was my wife's first trip to Jamaica We stayed at Club Ambiance for a week in June this year.
It was a remarkably nice place.,small but very efficiently designed and well managed There is an extra touch to everything. The gym is small but well equipped and also has an extra dehumidifier set at 45% besides the airconditioning.The airconditioning in the rooms has remote controls, so you can adjust the temperature without getting out of the bed.There is live programming every night including a dance floor for the visitors.
The beach has pleanty shaded places , if you want to keep out of the sun.The ocean water is crystal clear, you do not find that in Puerto Rico or Cancun.
Also, if you live on the east coast of the USA, check your local temperature and humidity on the internet and compare it with Runaway Bay,Jamaica.You would be surprized to see that the summer temperature and humidity is lower than in Virginia or other places in the USA.
And not to forget the staff , they make you feel his place an excellent place to visit.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet evening away from the entertainment, get a room on the pool side
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank NCtraveller14
Reviewed 25 August 2012

My wife and I just returned from Club Ambiance. The hotel is small,and older,but that being said the staff make this a great value for the price. And that same staff creates and environment for a great vacation. Two small lagoons allow you to lie in the water and sip on a drink without getting tossed around by the ocean. Buffet food is good even though it doesn't change that often. Decent local entertainment and overall a very nice week in Jamaica. My wife and I have visited the Caribbean over forty times, this was the best value we ever had in twenty years.

Room Tip: All second floor roms have ocean view
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Brahma19
Reviewed 22 August 2012

My wife and I returned to Club Ambiance for our 9th visit from August 7 – 15th, after being there last in March, 2012. We knew that the resort had changed hands in June so we were curious about any changes and also somewhat skeptical after reading the poor reviews following the sale. On arrival we were greeted warmly and shown immediately to our room, which had not changed for better or worse. Still inviting and clean, AC and hot water all OK. We quickly noticed, or were informed by staff members, that there had been some personnel changes. Many (I would estimate about 1/3) of the staff are gone, including the some of the management staff. (Gilbert remains Hotel Manager but was on vacation.) The hammocks are gone, the Espresso machine is gone, the pool was green and the hot tub was not working. We learned that management had gotten rid of the pool guy so the pool and spa could not be maintained. However, by the time we left the pool was clean and the hot tub was working. The food on the buffet was good as usual. Their soups are to die for! We also had the “special meal” – HUGE lobster tails on several different nights as an alternative to the buffet. Delicious! The price of the special meal has risen to $25 pp but it is still worth it as these are the largest, most tender lobsters we have ever eaten! There is nothing like fresh Jamaican lobster! Be sure to ask the Dining Room manager at least one night in advance to reserve a special meal!

During our stay only 15-20 rooms were occupied but that’s not unusual for low season. It gave us plenty of space and the beaches were not crowded. We managed to meet almost every other guest! The majority of these spent their days at the clothing optional beach. There are still only two cabanas (umbrellas) on the c/o beach, so shade is at a premium and that was a problem on some days as the beach got crowded.

This resort is in need of some serious maintenance, as might be expected since it has been on the real estate market for well over a year. However, I chatted with the new General Manager, a very nice gentleman named Jag, on several different occasions and he said that the new owners are committed to maintaining the hotel and have budgeted at least $1M for upgrading and renovation. For example, while we were there many of the rooms were closed as the AC units were replaced. 31 rooms already have new air conditioner units and more new units will be in operation next month. Outside maintenance was ongoing, and the new owners are upgrading grounds with more flowery plants and ground cover by increasing size of our Nursery The GM promised me that the missing cabana on the c/o beach would be replaced immediately after hurricane season (November). He agreed that the nude beach is a big draw and will be maintained and perhaps even expanded. He said, no worries, everything will be as you remember it when you return. So the good news is that, after a rocky transition, the new management team seems to be getting the resort back in to the shape that it deserves. As it is, it is still a beautiful place with excellent service and a staff that really cares and makes us feel right at home! We are already planning our return trip for early 2013!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2.9 km away
Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton
54.7 km away
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay

Been to Club Ambiance? Share your experiences!