“Rest Relax Rejuvinate”

Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Runaway Bay
Kenosha, Wisconsin, United States
“Rest Relax Rejuvinate”
Reviewed 23 February 2012

We will be At C.A. for our 5th Visit on March 2,2012.
C.A. has always been a bit on the run down side. But the staff and the guests , make the party.
If your not one to mingle, join in on a conversation or start one. Then you are not going to fit in! If your looking to have drinks brought to you at the beach , or pool this is not the place.
If you want a extremely affordable place to stay, a place to hang out and relax , join a party or start one. The options here are endless. It is a place where after day one the staff will know who you are, make a effort and have some fun.
Will update after our return.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Brian H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
Reviewed 21 February 2012

First the good... Our room was decent, and the view was great and our maid was so sweet. I was worried that the food was buffet style, but it was OK for the most part. The nice thing was that there was a pretty good rotation of local dishes, but I was pretty disappointed that they really didn't have good jerk chicken, which I love. We met some great people there (guests) so we had a pretty good time as far as that was concerned. They had a pretty good selection of free activities, snorkeling, paddle boats, kayaking etc. We had a great time with Dwayne on the green grotto bike trip, which was well worth the admission fee.
Now for the bad... Usually when you get to a resort you get a smile and warm greeting... Not here, which was foreshadowing for the stay. There were a ton of structural and cosmetic problems and disrepair with the resort as a whole, most were minor, but some were pretty glaring, and showed how little the management cares about general upkeep. I don't know what happened with the staff who others have raved about, but most were indifferent at best. With the exception of taking drink orders at meals, the wait staff was almost always absent, so most food and drink stuff was DIY. The entertainment staff seemed to put all their energy into planning activities and getting people involved, but then were aloof when it was time to actually do the activities. The bartenders seemed annoyed when people asked for even the simplest drink, or whenever they were required to do more than sit and chat with other staff. There were several instances where the staff did nothing when it was blatantly obvious that some guests were dangerously drunk, either to others or themselves. Each time it was left to the guests to handle the situations, which is incredibly negligent. On top of all that I had several instances of people, who I'm guessing worked for the resort, trying to sell pot (no big deal), and harder stuff. Once is ignorable, but it happened five times during our stay.
Still, it's always so easy to get fired up over the bad that you forget the good. Fay (housekeeping), Phillip (bartender), and Dwayne (bike tour guide) were great. We met some great people (guests), generally had a good time and were in a beautiful location. But ultimately I can't see us ever returning to Club Ambiance.

4 Thank forbestom
Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Upgraded to Honeymoon suite and view was sooooo worth it. We spent a lot of time on our balcony on the oceanfront. Staff was mixed between very helpful, pleasant and couldn't care less unless you were tipping. Food was less than satisfactory - so much processed food and lacking 'fresh'. Fish dishes were excellent.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Laurie L
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Having been to Jamaica many times but never stayed at an AI I did my homework and secided to give Club Ambiance a try.You can read all the reviews but at some point you have to see for yourself.My work background is in hospitality with many years working at hotels in resort destinations..

Landing in Montego Bay late at night it was a fairly easy trip to the resort.This despite the fact Celine Dion was in concert there that night.

Check in was a breeze with none other than the manager taking care of things.When I presented my credit card he told me that would not be necessary.Next upon inquiring re safe lock he told me the fee was no longer in place.

Gibbs the night porter grabbed my bag and I followed him to my room for the next 2 weeks.It was room #91.After a long day of travel I was in bed by 2:00 a.m.

Coming from winter in Toronto to Jamaica I was fighting a bit of a bug and wanted to sleep and rest a bit.The largest complaint I offer was the lack of any semblance of routine with the maids showing up somedays as late as 5:00 p.m.Again no big deal,in fact 2 days there was no service at all.

Well the first morning the maid was knocking at the door pretty early and I told here I was sick and wanted to sleep and she should come back later.Not 5 minutes later the phone was ringing to find out if I was o.k and if I needed a doctor.

Once I got moving I was quick to realize that my room was not the honeymoon suite.Located next to the "gym" with a view of the back of the snack bar.I am pretty easy to please so I unpacked and got organized.The worst part of this room was the dampness and humidity.My clothing was always damp and the floor was never quite dry.The maid told me to leave the AC on.That might have been fine had the weather been hotter but I had actually woken up chilled on my first night.Compound that with a full day of rain and I could really feel the dampness.All of this caused some kind of funky mold to form on some of my clothes.I showed this to the maid and the items were cleaned and returned in 2 hours.

The weather was a bit spotty and I had come prepared with 4 novels.Moving from place to place there are lots of different places to hang.You don't have to park in 1 spot you can get all the sun or shade you want.

When I was planning the trip I had plans to do this and that.Guess what,only left resort a couple of times to go to shop.This was easy talked to tour desk lady,she makes a call and you give the driver a good tip and your back in short order.

As the days rolled by the staff get to know your name and you in turn get to know them.Like many other reviews have made mention the staff make this resort.It really is true.Never more so than on talent night where staff from all departments got to show there stuff.That was one of the highlights for me.The other notable event was the opportunity to see how loved Bob Marley is as February 6 was the anniversary of his birthday.

I never had any issues with the food.Did wonder where canned.peaches in syrup was doing on the buffet?!Would like to have seen a little more local produce and island fruits that we generally don't see.Best item hands down were the jerk chicken and pork that were served on Jamaica night.I love hot and the jerk sauce was not lacking.

The entertainment crew does a good job.The best by far was the Jamaican night.Limbo,fire breathing Mr.Chin just great stuff!!

So time rolled along and I had to go.Will I become a "returner"? It was a good stay and if I could get the same kind of deals that I heard others speak of it would be a no brainer.I like the size it is not a mega resort.As I have written they are in tune with their guests and can still offer a good guest experience for a pretty good price.

As I was sitting in the lobby waiting for my transfer back to MoBay I had pulled my luggage out to the entrance.The security guard asked me if I really wanted to leave that badly and I should go have another beer before he cuts my wristband off.

I looked up and saw Stacey the bartender.She said goodbye to me by name.At this point the bus was pulling in and it was time.

6 Thank bonzoboxer
Hanoi, Vietnam
Reviewed 19 February 2012

This hotel is perfect for a relaxing holiday in a beautiful location. The beaches are small but lovely and the sea is really clean and clear. There are plenty of sunbeds both in the sun and the shade. The bedrooms are a good size and the bathrooms are fine. I did find that the water temperature fluctuated a bit but it wasn't a big problem. The drinks were delicious! I loved all of the cocktails and the beer and wine was also really good....the best AI I've had for sure! The food was fine but some nights were better than others. The Italian evening was definitely the best! Breakfasts are really good, especially the fresh omelettes! The staff were all really friendly and we went out on the glass bottomed boar which was really good. The only negatives were that the entertainment, especially in the evenings was too loud at times. It's only a small resort so it really wasn't necessary. It made the walks to our room vibrate. The only other thing that we noticed on our last day was that behind out bed there was a plug socket hanging off the wall with wires hanging out of it and lots of dust and dirt there. This was acreal shame as the rest of the room was spotless! Despite the two negatives this was the perfect holiday and I would definitely love to return one day! I can't recommend it highly enough!

1 Thank flobo5