“Most relaxing vacation I've ever had!”
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
Bedroom Decks
Pool with a View!!
Pool
Villa Layout
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

German first
Any
Mykwyner
“Most relaxing vacation I've ever had!”
Reviewed 18 December 2016 for a stay in October 2016

This place is exactly what their website says it is. A beautiful, well-maintained villa on a secluded mountain side overlooking the Caribbean Sea. The staff were wonderful but not intrusive. All of our needs were met, and all of our expectations were exceeded. My wife and I can't wait until we can go back again.

A TripAdvisor Member
“Beautiful... BUT Not Private and Just as Expensive as a Resort”
Reviewed 13 December 2016 for a stay in June 2016
people found this review helpful

The views from the house are amazing. My husband and I loved hanging out at the house just swimming in the pool or lazing around taking in the picturesque scenery. It was very peaceful. Then, out of nowhere, Dennis (the valet/house man) would show up and interrupt what you thought was a private moment. You see, Dennis is the valet that lives in the apartment below the house. He is ALWAYS there. Between him and the housekeeper/cook, we were NEVER alone. I wanted a PRIVATE getaway. If that's what you're looking for, BEWARE! This is not the place for you. On top of that, everyday the private cook asks you what you want for dinner the next night and then asks for $50-$60 USD. It was so expensive. It was cheaper the one night we went and ate at a 5-star hotel in town and the food was WAY better! Plus, they don't leave your leftovers in the refrigerator either. Your food purchases go toward feeding not only you, but also Dennis and the cook and her family. They were taking our leftovers with them every night. The food was okay. It wasn't great. I will say my husband loved the food and wasn't as bothered by the lack of privacy as I was, which is why I gave 4-stars instead of 3. Overall, it wasn't the vacation I was hoping for.
Also, the house has a private driver so that you can get around, but it is incredibly expensive. There are no set prices and when my husband asked Dennis how much we should pay for the taxi service, we found out later that the advice he gave was way more than we should have paid. The driver, valet and cook all were out to get as much money from us as possible. I'm not even sure what Dennis' job is except to annoy me. I'm sure the owner employs him to make sure we don't destroy any of the property. He would get onto us about tracking water up to the porch from the pool, yet we were only given one towel each, so after getting out of the pool once, the towel was completely soaked and useless. Dennis is also incredibly misogynistic. You should be prepared for constant sexist remarks. I know this place has gotten great reviews and I'm sure a lot of people loved their time at Tranquility Villa, but this was not the vacation for me. I would have paid less at an all-inclusive resort and I would have gotten more privacy. I will not be returning to Tranquility Villa.

Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Management Response
16 Dec 2016
Thank you for your candid review about your stay at Tranquility Villa. We are sorry that our Jamaica home was not your ideal vacation spot. We take pride in providing comfort and great care for all guests who stay with us, and have for many years.

​We do not hide the fact that our houseman has an apartment on the ground floor of the villa, he has been with us for over 12 years now. All villas have a person in their staff that lives at the property, and Tranquility is no different. Dennis is there to help keep the guests comfortable and to be sure they have what they need, as well as take care of the pool and pool deck, help serve during meals, answer any questions, help with the electronics at the villa, guide guests about the Port Antonio area, etc, etc ... ​ Remove him from the equation and the villa would not run as smoothly as it does.

By design, the all-inclusive resorts are much less private than the villas in Jamaica ... guests are sharing a pool with hundreds of people, dining with hundreds of people, for instance, also having a glass of wine with lots of people at the bar. Typically people book a villa to get away from the resort scene. And the views at the resorts do not offer what the villas can offer, especially in the Port Antonio area, with the fabulous views of the ships and sailboats going in and out of Marina in town, Navy Island, the John Crow and Blue Mountains ... two beautiful water falls within a 30 minute drive, many beaches close by that are not as crowded as those in the more touristy areas like Ocho Rios or Montego Bay, the famous Blue Lagoon for a fabulous swim!

So again, we are sorry that Tranquility was not the right fit for you... maybe an all-inclusive hotel would have provided just what you actually wanted from your stay in Jamaica.
JohnNalew...
Cebu City, Philippines
“Blue Mountains at My Back and Amazing and Gorgeous Port Antonio at My Feet !”
Reviewed 15 May 2016 for a stay in May 2016
people found this review helpful

What an Amazing Place ! I have stayed here before and can never wait to get back. I live NEGRIL and this is where I escape the maddening crow. The Location is incredible hidden on the edge of Blue Mountain Rainforest . Just 5min Drive Straight up from center of Port Antonio nestles you in this verdant spot.
So much to do close by, but it. Takes me a few days to get off the Veranda over looking Navy Island or My Back Balcony watching the Incredible and Unique Blue Mountains . Great Staff ,world-wide telephone to call any where complimentary. Now that's Service !

I highly recommend this place as the Owners Have a real Understanding and Appreciation of Jamaica that They TRULY LOVE TO SHARE ! Thank You All Will be Back Soon !

Overall condition of the property Bedding & mattresses
Kitchen & utensils Bathroom cleanliness
Other facilities & amenities Service
Liked best: The View and Accomodation
Liked least: Can't Think Of Anything !
Travelling group: Solo
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Management Response
15 Dec 2016
Thanks for the kind words and glad you enjoyed you time...
Lis H
Chic
“Truly Tranquil!!!”
Reviewed 21 December 2015 for a stay in January 2015

This review is late, but non the less I had to comment to persuade any future visitors...This home is amazingly beautiful and clean!!! It is open and fresh and the decor is perfect. The view are like non that Ive seen!!! Blue mountains in the back and the ocean in the front! The staff was delightful. Beverly's cooking was impressive and better than any restaurant i'd eaten at in jamaica!!! It was a honor having her cook for us and it also saved us money! Fresh lobsters, you name it..you tell her what you want and she'll make it happen. The grounds keeper was nice and made us (3 girlfriends) feel very safe! Now the downfall to the property is you need a driver. it is very high up on the hill, i personally wouldn't attempt walking!!! We hired a driver Charlie who was knowledgeable about the area and history for a extra fee....I loved port antonio and my experience at tranquility! I'll definitely be back!!! oh and don't let me forger Fred, the owner of the home who was so very helpful with my 100 calls to him before booking!!!
This home is a real treasure! Enjoy!

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The Home and Beverly's cooking and the view!!!
Liked least: the drive up the hill
Travelling group: Friends
Your age range 35-49
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
People with pets
Pat C
London, United Kingdom
“Outstanding views and very comfortable”
Reviewed 14 October 2015 for a stay in September 2015

This villa has the benefit of not only the patio to the front but also a balcony that both of the bedrooms open up onto. This combined with the terraced pool area means that although the villa occupies a smallish plot there was plenty of opportunity for the three of us who stayed, to have both privacy and shared space. You can also take in the magnificent views from these different vantage points and it is honestly difficult not to be mesmerized by the beautiful of this place.
The beds were terrific and the screening in the bedrooms and air conditioning made for comfortable sleeping. Sleep was disturbed by the two guard dogs, kept chained on the site, doing their job, off and on, throughout the night. Denis sleeps on the premises and there is also a guard on duty at night so probably only the so cute, free roaming goats attracting the dogs attention. We had no security problems in Portland at all, it's very laid back.
The pool is a fabulous asset in the wonderful hot Jamaican sun and there is a poolside net you can use to fish out the vegetation that falls in from the beautiful poolside planting. It gets some much appreciated shade mid afternoon and is a lovely spot for an afternoon nap.
Bev comes up to the villa to prepare meals. She took our orders for evening meals and the following mornings brunch, if required, each morning. The food was really good and we are all big fans of Jamaican breakfasts. Best to make it clear if you want the receipts and any change up front, and you will need Jamaican $. We paid about 40k JA$ for the three of us for three modest evening meals and four enormous breakfasts...including a sound supply of great rum punch, beers and our own body weight in fruit. Best not to leave any fruit out in the living areas as ours was being gnawed at...pretty sure it wasn't a goat. Talking of being gnawed we didn't have any real problem with mosquito. Sprayed ourselves and the bedroom frequently and got away with only a dozen bites or so. Housekeeping was the weakest point in this villa but frankly the setting should not be missed on account of it and the owner is available by text or phone if you have any problems during your stay.
The villa is high on the hillside which means it has great cooling breezes and an expanse of horizon that are fantastic. You really have to rely on a car to get around even short distances. The access, rough, hillside, dirt track that takes you the last 80 metres is not for the faint hearted but you get surprisingly used to it. Charlie drove us in a less than comfortable car that rattles along. He is a nice, reliable, friendly guy but I'd recommend getting a driver with a decent car if Charlie can't provide one. Portland roads are mostly pretty dire and take a tole on cars so they spend time being repaired but its very uncomfortable traveling in an old vehicle on day or half day trips. Charlie considers himself the only driver who works for the villa but the owner Fred thinks otherwise so worth checking before you start your stay.
Trips out..Reach Falls is the furthest point so go there and then visit Long Bay an the way back..pretty much the next furthest place of interest. Winifred beach to swim, Geejays for wine and cocktails and the Trident hotel for food, drink and a day by their infinity pool are all worth your time too, bearing in mind the last two are a bit pricy.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: the views
Liked least: poor housekeeping
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Friends getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers Families with young children
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing