“Solid inexpensive option”

Travellers Beach Resort
Ranked #16 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 18 February 2012

if you don't mind old furniture and hair dryer upon request only, but do mind expenses, this is the place for you. The amenities are simple, but they are there. The sheets are clean, the receptionist is at her place all the time, it's safe and the restaurant serves decent breakfast.
Beach is superb, and there's also pool, gym etc. Plus there's a diving/snorkeling outlet on site.
Among downsides - lunch and dinner are mediocre at best, but there's no reason to use the restaurant for that, plenty of options otherwise.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 17 February 2012

We stayed at travellers for 10 days . Our first room was garbage. I asked for another one and we got it . I never ate the food there . Way to expensive for my taste. . During that time I was "met" by trevor purveyor of "goods". official hotel staff are very friendly . Air conditioning was very good . Everything was very clean and new towels were not a problem . I would go there again if I needed to go on the cheap . The beach was the best part and finding a beach chair in the shade was no problem, They need to fix the all inclusive rates because at that amount you can go to Palladium.

Room Tip: eat at fat's across the street . real authentic Jamaican food .
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 February 2012

My wife and I have just returned back from Negril for the second time within 3 years. The first time we stayed @ the cliffs which is a totally wonderful experience in its self. Since our daughter and her boyfriend (first time to Jamaica) accompanied us this time we opt to stay on the beach as we wanted to experience the beach life this time. I must be honest, I logged on @ least 50hrs reading whatever I could find about Negril and the hotels on the beach. Over the coarse of time our pick for hotels changed many times as a lot of the hotels offered many things, but we ended up staying at Travelers beach resort as we could not get a better deal for the price. We arrived Jan 25 and stayed until Feb 7th. Unless you are accustom to a 5 Star hotel, I would not recommend staying here. The rooms are basic, in need of some TLC, but are kept clean and the bed was comfortable. Our cleaning lady Denise was fantastic and did a great job keeping our room clean. We had fresh towels every day. Little towel animals made and left on the bed or in the bathroom. We never had any issue with water pressure or running out of hot water. When we checked in, we requested a fridge and a safe. We were accommodated with the fridge, but there was an issue with getting a safe. As this was only our second time to Negril, I thought the safe issue would be a concern, but it was not. The security is very good. Nothing ever went missing. The security guard during the day was great (sorry cant remember his name) we just left our pack laying on the beach chair and had no worries as he was constantly monitoring the area, setting up beach chairs and just being highly visible. Sure we were approached by locals trying to sell their ware, all up and down the beach, but what do you expect. People need to make a living. All reviews clearly say the offers are there to buy weed, other drugs and a vast amount of carvings etc, so if you don't want any of this pressure why bother coming. I must say that our trip to Mexico had a lot more pressure from the locals to buy than we had in Negril. We were plain and honest with them. We basically told them that we had hooked up with whatever we needed the first day and for shopping, we just told them anytime that we were asked that today was not shopping day, but told them what day we were going to be shopping and they respected that to the most and we kept to our word and did do shopping up and down the beach on the day that we said. Sure @ times something catches your eye and we bought sporadic, but the majority of the shopping was done on the day that we said. Be straight, look them in the eye and be true to you're word and you will enjoy you're stay a lot more than trying to remember what line you have feed someone to avoid buying. Negril and the people are wonderful. We meet some really interesting locals and experienced some great food that you would not find @ the big box resorts as we hung out with various locals all up and down the beach. We did eat at Travelers a couple of times for dinner and breakfast and the food was good and the cost was comparable to the rest of the resorts on the beach. If you want cheaper rates, eat with the locals @ the smaller non-resort set ups that line the beach area or head to the cliffs as their are many small operations all along the road. Do wander around, walk to the roundabout area. Walk up to the cliffs, (long walk and be careful) as the road is narrow and trying at times. Both times to Negril we did this walk many times and have come across many interesting place to eat or buy. Unless you are doing an all inclusive and just want to sit in you're own little world, you are definitely missing out on a great experience Negril and its people have to offer. Please remember this. You are on holidays, relax go with the flow and all will come soon. Respect! PS. Thank you travelers for a very enjoyable stay. You're location is great and the beach is fantastic as you can walk out a far way and the water is still only up yo the neck. Definitely looking to coming back.

Room Tip: We stayed on the second floor and had a good balcony. On the main floor you have a sitting area but...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Anthony208
Reviewed 16 February 2012

My best friend & I spent 12 days at Travellers from January 6-17, 2012. We have previously stayed at many different places along the beach & this is DEF our new fav!!!! The food @ the restaurant was great - breakfast was the BEST! The rooms are basic butwhat more do you need. The Staff was wonderful...willing to help in any way they could. Our housekeeper Violet was the sweetest! The Wellingtons are great!! We felt like family our entire stay. Going back for 2 weeks in April & can't wait! I canot say enough good things about our stay @ Travellers!!!!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 February 2012

My family and I went to this hotel a month ago based on reviews we got. They could not be more wrong. The rooms are old and in bad need for repair. I barely wanted to use anything because I felt at any moment the items would break. There is so much rust and the rooms barely had the necessities that accompany other hotel rooms. I requested a fridge to place medication and the two different fridges broke down. The restaurant food and service was terrible. We waited over an hour for food. While I did appreciate the director coming over and constantly apologizing. The waitress seemed to have a chip on her shoulder and was completely rude to us, if she did not like her job she should have looked for another one. I felt it was unnecessary for us to wait so long especially when the place was completely empty. A couple of days later I decided to give the restaurant another try because the kids were hungry. Once again we were the only ones in the restaurant and waited over an hour with no apologies to accompany the sub-par food. The hot tub did not work the entire time I stayed there, I was told they were missing a part. Well the staff was right that hotel is missing a lot . I cannot tell you the amount of times we went up to the front desk to complain or ask for something that should be in the rooms. Members of my family had to ask five times to get towels. My family did not have a good time and this was our first time back to Jamaica.

Future visitors you have been warned!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family